Would You Go For It?

20 miles round trip.

Holy crap!

That's a long way.

But yah, someone will find it.

Just don't expect to get a lot of finds...

I don't know if I'd try it. It would require camping gear, and most of my camping gear is too heavy to be for like hiking/backpacking, so I'd need new gear...

I just hid a cache on about a 10 mile trail. Its really hard terrain about a 4 1/2 (you don't need climbing gear). There are no other caches for about 30 miles around it. Do you think anyone will find it?

I haven't logged it yet. I still need to get the directions figured out.

It depends on the location, would anyone want to go there if the cache wasn't there?

If no, then a cache certainly isn't reason to go 10' out of the way. :laughing:

I would definitely go for it. There was a recent cache, about 18 miles or so in from the trailhead. It was unfound for about a year, but then one of the local cachers did it on foot in a day. I believe he is a trail runner but I am not positive. 36+ miles in one day? That's nuts! From his log entries, it seems that on his way out of the park, a ranger took pity on him and drove him the last 10 miles out but that still makes for a 26 mile day. Still beyond me, I think.

We are going for it this Saturday, but got a special permit to drive in about 13 miles so our whole round trip hike will be more like 17 miles (which will include 4 caches).

--Marky

I'd go for it. Heck, when I was out in Washington, I tried for Dream Cache, which requires a 5 mile hike in, plus another mile of ascent up a creek to a remote lake.

Emphasis on tried, I ended up running out of time the day I did it. I'd say anyone going for it will most likely have to either wake up really early, or plan to camp. That'd probably be true with any cache in that range hiking.

Still, people will find it, just probably not the ones worried about their numbers ;)

To be honest, I like a good hike myself. Sometimes I'll just plan an afternoon, pick a large park in my area, say one I haven't been to yet, find any caches I can in the park before I go, then just drive there, park the car, and walk the entire way. Even if I could cheat and drive from parking lot to parking lot within the park, it's nicer just ot hike the whole way.

Still, people will find it, just probably not the ones worried about their numbers ;)

And the ones with little kids and the ones over 40 and not in tip top shape and the ones who like to do other things than hike and....

A small percentage of cachers will try it. Most of us won't.

YES!

Probably my two favorite "long caches" were Pinnacle Rock and Pulpit Rock (camp out!) and one on the AT. The names happen to escape me at the moment, but we did the AT one on the shortest night of the year and we were rewarded by being able to watch the sun set and rise from the trail while driving.

I really enjoy multis and the long walks. Cache-n-dash sucks, in my opinion.

I'd probably save it for a milestone, though.

Ok, I still don’t understand the thought process. If you’re going to save the “good” or “fun” caches for a milestone, why not just hunt the good or fun caches all the time and ignore those that aren’t?

Because then there would never be any milestones.

Bret

I'd probably save it for a milestone, though.

Ok, I still don’t understand the thought process. If you’re going to save the “good” or “fun” caches for a milestone, why not just hunt the good or fun caches all the time and ignore those that aren’t?

The thought process is I like geocaching and try and do it when I can. I can drive up to an urban mirco over my lunch hour. I can go on a quick hike in a park after work if I want to bushwhack. All those things are enjoyable for me.

However, I KNOW I would enjoy and all day/weekend trip it would require to get these cache's more than anything listed above.

It's not that regular cache's aren't fun or good, it's these are BETTER, and thus I will save them for something special since more planning is required than jump in the truck with a GPSer.

Yeah, you could do it in one day. We did 10 miles in about 5 hours last winter, there was no caching involved, but if there had been that would have made it more fun...and we probably would have walked another 1/4 mile due to walking around looking for the cache :laughing:

I would have to work up to it...but it sounds like fun to me!