Along The Lines Of "geocaching Dog"

Hello,

I'm new to the forums, and relatively new (GPS was a Christmas gift!) to geocaching. My two young sons, our dog, and I are the geocachers -- still trying to convince hubby to join the fun!

I'm also a writer, and I'm working on a story for a national (U.S.) magazine, for which I need to find someone to talk about geoaching -- with their dog.

If you geocache with your dog regularly -- if, in fact, your dog *loves* doing it with you -- would you be willing to speak with me, off the boards? I'm just trying to get a couple of tips for families who are new to geoacaching and want to bring their dog along -- how you got started with your dog, any helpful tips/suggestions, maybe a comment on whether your dog enjoys it, etc.

Thanks so much for your help! I appreciate it!

Kate

kmreilly7@hotmail.com

The black dog has been to many caches with me. He usually runs free, so we tend to skip busy places and go as remote as possible . He has even pointed out one cache to my daughter, but he'd been there before. He just loves going anywhere with me, and then somewhere else after that. We got on one "mountainside" which he could not climb, and eventually we had to back down and go around.

I picked up my geo-dog from the pound around Christmas. Now, whenever I grab the geo-bag off it's proper place on the shelf, she get very excited, bouncing around, and jumping 2-3 feet in the air. If I head for the front door with that bag in my hand, she will NOT let me leave the house without her.

I have even seen her walk up to the bag, nudge it with her nose, and then look at me wantingly.

The avatar I'm currently using is a photo of "Bandit", one of our ten Siberian Huskies--they each have their own cache that they helped hide, part of our "Reservoir Dogs" series. Their little buddy is Earthdog Patrick, a Jack Russell Terrier who has his own account and a hundred finds to his credit, as well as helping with well over a hundred hides in our ISQ series. :laughing::laughing::rolleyes:

The dog in my avitar is Ally. When she was hit and killed by a car two years ago, (a non geocaching accident) my cache hunting dropped off quite a bit. I now have another yellow lab named Lilly. She does cache with me, but we have never gotten back to the pace that Ally and I had enjoyed.

Aladin Sane

Our dog is also our namesake for geocaching. TED (we have to use capitol letters as he demands attention) loves to climb on rocks,loves to smell deer droppings, and he loved it when he caught his first bunny (dau#2made him let it go). All these experiences for a city dog were on geocache hunts.

We always take along extra water, extra rags to wipe off dirty paws, and plent of treats for him while we have our reward snack at the cache site.

We geocache with our dog Shadow a lot. Most of the caches in the area are out in the woods, so she can normally go with us. She has climbed scree fields as if she were part mountain goat! Not bad for 11 years old.

When she sees us pick up our caching bag, she runs for the door. If we aren't taking her with us, one of us has to distract her while the other sneaks the bag out to the car. :laughing:

Edited for spelling

Edited by Apple Dumpling Gangg

I love it!! We only got to cache once with our black lab KT before we lost her the week of Christmas. Took her to the Smokies at Thanksgiving - she LOVED it! Hadn't seen her act so "pup-ish" in a long time (she was 12). We got one or two pictures of her with us caching - husband keeps one on his desk at work to make him smile when salespeople are being toot-heads. :lol: