Meridian Series, And Lanyards..

Dows anyone have anything that's worked. I saw one that screwed into the back hole where the power/data screws in. Frankly, that looks not only cheesy, but unsturdy, and I don't want to risk those precious little threads.

Anyone have any solutions besides some nylon twine and electrial tape around the antenna section? Would electrical tape hinder sattelite reception?

Being familiar with the internals of the Meridian Color under less then happy conditions, I can safely say that the screw on that particular part of the frame is never going to pull out. If it did, I would be impressed.

This case and this case both look excellent. The second one is actually padded. If you feel it's going to be a problem with the screen not being exposed, do like I plan to do: Cut a hole where the screen will sit in the case and another one for the controls. Put a PDA screen protector over the GPS screen and cut it down with a razor. If you find the padding ugly, seal it with a lighter. Tada, do it yourself GPS case. And for the lanyard, use a boot lace cut to size with two holes poked in the case, or go through or around the belt loop.

I believe a guy named team flushing grouse makes some lanyards up for meridians. I made my own though based on his designs that have been on the fourms in the past. You basically need a 4-40 knurled thumb screw and then you drill a hole through the knurled thumb part for the lanyard and attach a brass ring. All that is left to do now is cut the screw down to size and maybe a small rubber ring to help keep the screw from coming loose on you.

I believe a guy named team flushing grouse makes some lanyards up for meridians.  I made my own though based on his designs that have been on the fourms in the past.  You basically need a 4-40 knurled thumb screw and then you drill a hole through the knurled thumb part for the lanyard and attach a brass ring.  All that is left to do now is cut the screw down to size and maybe a small rubber ring to help keep the screw from coming loose on you.

I like this idea.

As for tiber.. I have a killer case I got for my GPS. A Caselogic camera case. Has a pocket perfect for a meridian, and a front pocket for a notepad, swag, or for me, my PDA.

I want a string attached so when it's out of it's case and i'm holding it treking around looking for a cache, I can wrap it tight around my wrist just in case I lose grip on it.

Edited by Marcie/Eric

After I had used my MeriGold for a few weeks, the wire loop for the attachment point for the short lanyard would spring open, causing my GPSr to fall to the ground. This happen a few times...enough. I went to my local hardware store with the original threaded small bolt for comparision. Bought a brass slot headed small bolt with a fitted nut. Also bought some brass flat stock. About .040 thickness. Drilled 2 small holes in the small piece of brass and attached a small split ring. Then attached to the GPSr. Now I have a new attachment device that will NOT come apart when my hand lanyard is attached. Works for me... :)

I will admit that a nice permanent attachment point on the top of the unit would have been nice... :)

Edited by Pinon

So I guess that little threaded hole will suffice for something homemade?

I have all kinds of stuff around here, all I need is the correct size/thread screw/stud. If anyone has some pics or anything further lemme know. But i'm going to head to the hardware store tonight or tomorrow.

I have made a lanyard attachement and it works very well. It is made of a small brass machine screw and a brass washer. The washer edge is put in the screw slot and soldered in place. Then I take epoxy putty and form a ball around it, leaving the hole open. The screw threads might be 4-40. They are the same as DB9 attachment thumb screws. Will try to place photo later.