What's The Correct Way To Log A Find

teepeeayy

Thought I'd start in this area of the forum since this is a densly populated portion of the country.

I found 2 caches in very urban environments today. In both cases, retrieving the cache, opening it, signing the log, putting the lid back on, and re-hiding could have severely lowered the life expectancy of the cache. If I don't sign the log, can I still have "found it"?

Seeing the cache or knowing where the cache is do not constitute a find. The only exception to the rule is a virtual (where the information is relayed to the owner in a prescribed manner). The whole concept of geocaching is finding and physically logging the find by signing the log.

You really should sign the log. For some caches, retreiving the cache, signing the log and returning it without being noticed is part of the challenge. Some owners will actually delete online logs if there is no matching entry in the paper log.

For these kinds of caches its often a good idea to snatch it, move elsewhere to open it and sign the log, then return and replace it when nobody is looking. There are tricks that many employ to throw passersby off off. I've heard of everything from people making believe their GPS is a cell phone or camera, to people walking around with clipboards, hardhats and orange vests to look like they're on some sort of official business.

For some, these kinds of caches are not their cup of tea. I'm personally not crazy about them and prefer to do my cache hunting in the woods where there being observed is not an issue.

...to people walking around with clipboards, hardhats and orange vests to look like they're on some sort of official business.

That's exactly what I plan to do to retrieve a particular cache. I'm 99.9% sure I know where it is but it is an extremely busy intersection. If it's where I think it is I need to look "official" to pull of the retrieval. Just hope no one questions why my orange vest says Hilton Hotels on the back when there is no Hilton anywhere close :unsure:

Rats, I thought you'd all say that. :unsure:

Well, I'll do the right thing. I much prefer to walk in the woods too, but when in Rome (or Philadelphia)... Part of the challenge of the urban caches is navigating potholes, one way streets, and lost signals, to say nothing of the muggle-sitters with their muggle-rats. I had the same issue last week, but couldn't locate the cache so I logged it as a DNF.

Brian, I've seen those suggestions previously. I kinda knew I was stretching the rules, but thought I'd check since I actually saw the cache.

Time to go ninja. ;)

I usually run to the caches so I'll just pretend I'm stretching or taking a little break while searching and not to many people think to much of it.

By the way pretending the GPS is a phone is a good idea, I might have to use that one haha.

The 'freakiest' one I had so far was GCHY1P . That one is hidden right next to the entry of a very busy and famous Beer-Garden/Restaurant in the Pedestrian Zone in Munich... Two friends to distract the Waiter standing about 5 feet from it, an open shoe-lace and a large unfolded map did the trick (at my second visit - the first visit I said 'no way') - so sometimes it's part of the challenge... Unfortunately that cache is gone now but it was fun nevertheless...

I figure that would be a good chance to practice my "plucking a cache out from under someone's nose" skills. :unsure:

I'd probably just explain geocaching as best as I could if someone saw what I was doing, but you'd be surprised how many times you can pull it off without anyone noticing. Of course, it's a good idea to take the cache somewhere else where you can sign the log at leisure.

I've heard of everything from people making believe their GPS is a cell phone or camera, to people walking around with clipboards, hardhats and orange vests to look like they're on some sort of official business.

A clipboard is not only useful for urban disguise, it can help with the cache-grab, as well.

Once you've located the cache, hold the clipboard over the area in which the container is hidden (I'm assuming it's a micro). Reach under the clipboard, grab the micro, and walk away. Reverse the procedure to replace. :unsure:

Once you've located the cache, hold the clipboard over the area in which the container is hidden (I'm assuming it's a micro). Reach under the clipboard, grab the micro, and walk away. Reverse the procedure to replace.

You're correct for one of them, its a micro. So as to not give anything away, suffice it to say its well inside the hollow of a tree at ground level. To get to it, you really need to get down on hands and knees and reach way in to retrieve.

I'm gonna get an orange vest that says "official tree inspector" :) Maybe that'll work....

I got a question. I have a cache that is hidden about a foot above my head in a hollow tree. In a very busy area. Dont know exactly how to go about getting it and putting it back without being noticed. It is sitting on a ledge inside the tree covered with a few sticks, so i would have to move the sticks, grab the cache and reverse it when replacing it. Ive went back 3 times and actually seen the cache container but i have never had the nerve to get it. any ideas???

I got a question.  I have a cache that is hidden about a foot above my head in a hollow tree.  In a very busy area.  Dont know exactly how to go about getting it and putting it back without being noticed.  It is sitting on a ledge inside the tree covered with a few sticks, so i would have to move the sticks, grab the cache and reverse it when replacing it.  Ive went back 3 times and actually seen the cache container but i have never had the nerve to get it.  any ideas???

Whenever I attempt a cache in a high profile area (like the ones attached to the underside of U.S. mailboxes or payphones in the middle of Manhattan) I first scout out the location from a distance then just go for it.

Never, ever, look around to see if anyone is watching, you'll just appear to be a suspicious maniac.

It's always makes for a good adrenaline rush.

I got a question. I have a cache that is hidden about a foot above my head in a hollow tree. In a very busy area. Dont know exactly how to go about getting it and putting it back without being noticed. It is sitting on a ledge inside the tree covered with a few sticks, so i would have to move the sticks, grab the cache and reverse it when replacing it. Ive went back 3 times and actually seen the cache container but i have never had the nerve to get it. any ideas???

Set the alarm for about 4 AM...

:)

My rule of thumb is: If you have to act like your not caching when you find a cache then its probably not in a very good location.

Playing "Dodge the Muggle" = No fun :)

In any event...the closest thing to a real rule we have in geocaching is that you must sign the logbook (or scrap of wet paper) to claim a find. There really are no if's, and's, or but's about it.

Have Fun! :unsure:

Salvelinus