First Annual Great "48 North" Geocaching Event

Half-Canadian

With less than three weeks to go, it's time to post this upcoming event to the forums B)

Mark your calendars for Saturday, May 7 for The First Annual Great "48 North" Geocaching Event to be held at the Lake Samish Park just south of Bellingham.

This event is to celebrate the newest WSGA chapter, but you don't need to be a WSGA member to attend -- this event is open to all geocachers from Washington, BC, and beyond! There will be a potluck picnic, fun stuff for kids to do, new caches hidden in the area (including one or two only accessible from the water), and a chance to meet and visit with fellow cachers from all over.

I've reserved the lodge for our use all day, so come early, stay late, and plan on having a great time! If you're able to come a little early to help set up, or stay late to clean up, please post a note here or on the cache page to let me know what you're able to do to help out. Also, please be sure to post a note if you're planning to attend, and how many will be in your group, so we'll have a better idea of how many drinks and supplies to purchase.

Although it's not required, a donation of $5.00 per person will be greatly appreciated to help offset the $400.00 or so that I'm out of pocket for rental of the lodge, beverages and other supplies. Hope to see everyone there -- I've ordered some great weather for the day!

HC

I think we are planning on attending this event. At this point we'll be coming up Friday night with our trailer and staying at Larabee State Park. Do you think we'll need reservations?

This early in the season, you shouldn't need reservations. Bayview and Birch Bay State Parks are also close by as backup campgrounds. Great that you can make it!

I just hid four new caches in the immediate vicinity of the event today that I will enable on Thursday or Friday -- one will require a small boat, canoe, or kayak unless you want to swim a short distance :huh: There will be at least a few people bringing small watercraft for cachers to use.

There's also a brand new puzzle cache Wear a Smile, Nothing Else by nudecacher, and a new night cache Night Creatures by Ray&Rose nearby.

There will be lots of fun stuff for the kids to do -- there's a nice playground at the park, a small swimming beach, and there will be a crafts activity table where kids (or anyone else for that matter) can make their own "travel bugs" to take home.

Great weather is forecast, hope to see you all there!

Just a quick note -- when you arrive at the park, you'll probably see a sign indicating that there's a $4.00 day-use fee for non-residents of Whatcom County. I have confirmed with the parks department that this fee does not apply to our group as I have reserved (and paid for the use of) the park already.

I also added another cache at the end of the lake today that's reachable only by boat, so there's a total of five new ones in the immediate vicinity that will come online Thursday evening, plus other new ones nearby.