Averaging Coordinates

J. Galt

There is no need to average. The benefits are minimal and sometimes averaging can actually make your coordinates worse.

Instead, make sure you have a good sat lock, take your reading and go with it. It will save you a lot of time and your coordinates will be as accurate as someone who spent a few hours at the site.

If you get complaints, go back and take another reading, but I'm willing to bet that you won't encouner complaints.

Just make sure your GPS has been running for a while before you mark the location. If you have a GPS that is running WAAS you should have the GPS on for at least 15 minutes after it has locked on for the WAAS to build up the proper almanac.

I have seen some people post notes on their caches that say they have taken several reading and picked out the one that was the best. These have also been the caches that have been the furthest form the posted coordinates when I find them.

I wonder exactly how many cache placers have spent a few hours at a specific cache location taking coordinate readings for the purpose of creating an average set of readings? People who have that kind of free time on their hands might want to consider giving back to their community. Perhaps volunteering at a local food bank. Mowing the lawn of an elderly neighbor. Helping to sort donated items at the Salvation Army Store. A few hours taking coordinate readings? Have mercy.

I was so paranoid about having bad coordinates on my first two hides that I did take readings more than once on two different days. If the coordinate was off, it was by only one digit, or 6 feet (latitude).

I won't worry about it as much in the future now that I know my Garmin Vista reports such accuracy.

Oh . . . and the first finders commented on how the "Coords are right on. " Music to my newbie ears. ;)