I Need My Geocaching.com Id??

Cheminer Will

Strange... When I click on there, I get my control panel. Maybe I am blind, but can't see the number anywhere there.

It does not matter, though as you have it in your post.

Thanks.

When you click on your own name, it takes you to your control panel, but still references the User ID to do so. If you click on somebody elses name, it takes you to their profile page. Bottom line is, thats the easy way to get your User ID.

When I click on someone else's profile, like yours, I can see your user id # in the url. When I go to my own profile, the number is not in the url. If my son logs on, he can click on my profile and see my id #.

When you go to your own profile, I don't see the number anywhere. I may just be getting tired, and it really is a moot point as you were kind enough to just give it to me above and I got GSAK to work the way I wanted it to.

Thanks much!

When you go to your own profile, I don't see the number anywhere. I may just be getting tired, and it really is a moot point as you were kind enough to just give it to me above and I got GSAK to work the way I wanted it to.

Just for anyone else that is trying this at home.

You don't have to click on the link of the user's name. If you just move the cursor over the name to where the link is and then look in the lower left corner of your browser you will see the URL for where you will go if you click the link.

If you click on your own name it will change the URL because it opens up your own page with a different view than what you get by clicking on someone else's name. So just hover, without clicking, over the name and you will see the original URL.

When I click on someone else's profile, like yours, I can see your user id # in the url.  When I go to my own profile, the number is not in the url.  If my son logs on, he can click on my profile and see my id #. 

When you go to your own profile, I don't see the number anywhere. <snip...>

Others looking for the information are going to have the same problem. I had this problem when I first ran into this issue. I just could not see it... So here is the visual description of where GrizzlyJohn is suggesting that you should look on the screen. Find one of your own posts in the forum, then:

tmp2005Apr17a.gif

You do need to assume (correctly) that your forum id number is the same as at the geocaching.com website.

There used to be similar ways to do this at the GC web site, but most (all?) seem to have disappeared with their use of the guid codes in the html programming. None of the methods that I used a few months ago work anymore. Once all the methods are gone that involve use of a browser, you will have to look in gpx files to find one of your own entries in the database. You can do that by opening a gpx file with WordPad (or similar editor) and hunting for your name on a log. e.g.:

<Groundspeak:log id="7395809">
      <Groundspeak:date>2005-04-10T07:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
      <Groundspeak:type>Found it</Groundspeak:type>
      <Groundspeak:finder id="174706">Hynr</Groundspeak:finder>
      <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Fishermen nearby paid no attention. TN LN TFTC</Groundspeak:text>
 </Groundspeak:log>

Note that you find the user id number right in front of your user id. In my case it is 174706. This is the most "bullet-proof" method to find your id number. if this ever stops working, then the external software (e.g. GSAK) won't have use for the id number either.

Griz, just wanted to mention that in IE on WinXP, I know quite a few people whose Status Bar (the place to see the link in the lower left) constantly defaults to hidden. Myself included (when I stumble away from Firefox for whatever reason), I will often have to go the the View menu and reclick "Status Bar" to get it to appear.

So if people are having trouble getting the text to show up like it is in Hynr's picture, you might want to make sure there is a check mark next to Status Bar in your View menu.

Griz, just wanted to mention that in IE on WinXP, I know quite a few people whose Status Bar (the place to see the link in the lower left) constantly defaults to hidden. Myself included (when I stumble away from Firefox for whatever reason), I will often have to go the the View menu and reclick "Status Bar" to get it to appear.

So if people are having trouble getting the text to show up like it is in Hynr's picture, you might want to make sure there is a check mark next to Status Bar in your View menu.

Hmmm ... I have never seen that. I wonder what that is all about. Ok well there you go -- it's always something.

:unsure:

I don't know, I haven't been able to figure it out (and gave up when Firefox came out anyways). Even if I set the checkmark and then close the window later with File-Close, Shift-ClickX, etc...it still comes up sans status bar sometimes. It's not even a computer-specific event...but it is XP-specific...oh well.

I don't know if this has been pointed out yet, but another way to get your userid is right on your Profile page.

Click on the 'My Account' button on the main geocaching.com page, then click on the stats icon to view your own profile. On that page is a link "Show all forum posts for this user". You can either click on it and harvest the uid out of the url, or use the hover technique described above to see your own userid.

The user id is the numerical value at the end of the link, immediately following "&mid="

Edited by CompassCollector
I don't know if this has been pointed out yet, but another way to get your userid is right on your Profile page.

Click on the 'My Account' button on the main geocaching.com page, then click on the stats icon to view your own profile. On that page is a link "Show all forum posts for this user". You can either click on it and harvest the uid out of the url, or use the hover technique described above to see your own userid.

The user id is the numerical value at the end of the link, immediately following "&mid="

Doing this my self to find my I.D. #,it didn't show "&mid="

It showed "showuser=******" :lol: