Award For Brian

marty621

I was invited to attend the NJDEP, Division of Parks and Forestry Volunteer Recognition Ceremony at McGuire Air Force Base, NJ. for some trail mapping I did at Allaire State Park. While reading the program I ran across an article about one of our fellow cachers, that is worth mentioning. Text from program as follows:

BrianSnat

New York-New Jersey Trail Conference

Brian's basic volunteer mission is as the Trail Conference Area Supervisor in Ramapo Mountain State Forest, where he supervises eight trails as well as the activities of 15 trail maintainers.

Beyond this, however, Brian has unstintingly volunteered much more of his time to special activities in state parks and forests throughout northeastern New Jersey. His contributions during 2004 included: participating in reblazing more than twenty miles of hiking and multi-use trails, including the Cannonball, Hewitt-Butler and Hoeferlin Memorial trails. In additon, Brian contributed a full day toward renovating a heavily-worn section of the Cannonball Trail; helping to build the new Hasenclever Iron Trail, including locating, flagging, GPS, blazing and clearing blowdowns from the trail; assisting in the establishment and upgrade of interconnecting trails between state lands and adjacent county, municipal and scout woodlands. Brian is also one of a group of volunteers working to upgrade our North Jersey maps.

As a result of his personal dedication as well as his fine example to other volunteers, Brian, who contributed more than 20 volunteer hours during 2004, has helped to make the vast and beautiful backcountry of our state parks and forests much more accessible and enjoyable to the people of New Jersey.

Congratulations Brian !!!

Always a pleasure to cache and hike with you!! You give a tremendous amount to caching and hiking among your other hobbies, and we could never thank you enough.

Brian suggested I join the NY/NJ Trail Conference when I asked about local organizations to support. They provide a monthly (or so I think) newsletter which is like a mini newspaper that has a lot of information. In addition, the local stores such as Campmor, Ramsey Outdoor and EMS offer a 10% discount for members, so if you do any shopping there, you'd end up making out on the deal. It's inexpensive, and goes to a great cause. http://www.nynjtc.com/ is the site and it's only $25 for an individual membership.