Fat Cachers!

Weight does not always mean health.

yes, absolutely, it's not just about fat, or BMI for that matter, it's about fitness, stamina, and being in shape.

That's the key. I stay active by skiing and snowshoeing in the winter and playing softball and soccer in the warmer months and I hike 20-30 miles a week year round. Actually most people were shocked when I told them my weight. I'm 6 feet tall and I guess I carry it well. Still, I have a goal of getting down to around 190 - 200 lbs because being active and carrying that extra weight is just not good for the joints. My knees have just started acting up over the past few months and I'm sure that the weight is to blame. There aren't a lot of 240 lb soccer players out there for good reason.

Is 6'1" @ 180 considered too skinny?

Yes, for me it would be to skinny. I am 6'1" and went from 210 down to 180 and didn't like it at all. I felt too weak and didn't feel like I had enough bulk, I didn't feel strong. Currently, I'm back to 210 but thats too much so I'm going to try and level off at 195.

I'm 6'2". Doctor said I've shrunk with age, and will only list me at 6' 1-1/2". I don't believe her! I think I've gained weight geocaching. In New Jersey, the caches tend be be at the end of short hikes. I used to do 8-10 mile hikes. I started geocaching at 180# (after a sixty mile backpack on the AT in Shenandoah). That was down from 200# After nine months of geocaching, I'm back up to 200#. :unsure: Oh, well. Of course, winter is bad for that anyway. We'll see what happens with the summer.

for those of you that do want to calculate your body mass index (BMI, which adjusts for weight, height, gender, age), here are some links, or you can google "body mass index" to find a BMI calculator or BMI website that you like best

BMI is about the most nonsensical thing that I've ever heard of. It makes absolutely no sense. It assumes that all people are the same, which they are not. "One Size Fits All" never does.

You try buying clothes off the rack with XXL hat size (and, no, I am not a fathead. :unsure: ), 37" sleeves, and a 38" waist (which fits between 180# and 200#).

Sorry to rant, but I get very tired of moronic ideas like BMI.

(Ranting mode off.)

At 6'0" and varying between 230 and 240, I never thought I'd say this, but, "I'm too skinny for this list." Caching has made me more fit but the weight isn't dropping. I'll blame genetics rather than my lack of will power.

And the only chick that matters still digs me after almost 21 years. :unsure:

hmmm... I'm about 5'6 or 5'7 and somewhere in the 115 lb. range...

I should go on a seefood diet... ya see food, ya eat it :D

I think my problem isn't that I don't get out enough, it's that I get out TOO much!

I eat 3500-4500 calories a day, my daytime resting heart rate is about 54 BPM, nighttime is about 50 BPM...

Did I mention that if I don't eat at least 2500 calories in a day I'll start losing weight?

Yeah, um, I'll shut up now

::hides behind toothpick:: ;)

No comment about the chicks digging me part... :unsure:

Happy Caching

Jeff

OK, I'll comment on that general health. As said I (dad) am at 6' and 300. I could definitely lose a pound or two (or 50+) but I referee kids basketball and have no problems refereeing 7 games straight (never even breathe heavy), going on long hiking caches, even in Florida heat; I run upstairs, have a resting heart rate of 60, and my cholesterol is nice and low. I just can't burn off any of this extra fat!

I'm no "big dude," but I am a "big chick."

Hopefully, with some more caching (placing and finding,) I will be less of a big chick and more of a big cacher at the end of this summer.

Me too. I tried to get into caching last summer, as I was spending too much time in front of my computer playing FFXI. My work schedule changed, and so I didn't get into it until a month ago.

I'm hoping the exercise will pay off and then I can start going after caches with tougher terrain.

Interestingly enough, there was a story today about the CDC and being overweight:

CDC: Dangers of being overweight overstated

Being overweight is nowhere near as big a killer as the government thought, ranking No. 7 instead of No. 2 among the nation's leading preventable causes of death, according to a startling new calculation from the CDC.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated today that packing on too many pounds accounts for 25,814 deaths a year in the United States. As recently as January, the CDC came up with an estimate 14 times higher: 365,000 deaths.

The new analysis found that obesity — being extremely overweight — is indisputably lethal. But like several recent smaller studies, it found that people who are modestly overweight actually have a lower risk of death than those of normal weight.

Biostatistician Mary Grace Kovar, a consultant for the University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center in Washington, said "normal" may be set too low for today's population.

full story

I was an obese 335 on Feb 15th and started to eat healthy, then I started to try to get active and THEN I DISCOVERED GEOCACHING. I'm down to 299 and love my new outdoor, active hobby. I am in withdrawals this weekend since I could not go caching yesterday. My long term goal (1-3 lbs per week, so it's gonna take a while) is to get down to a trim 199. So you'll be seeing less of me on the GC Trails but I'll be out there more and more. ;)

1 to 2 pounds a week is an excellent rate, plus (in my opinion), the slower you go, the less likely you are to rebound back up. Have fun outside and goodluck!

--Marky

I am about 285 right now. (Up from 270 when I left the Navy).

I plan to take that down a bit this summer, but the reading I have done lately shows that recent studies indicate that "obese" people (BMI > 30) are likely to reduce their lifespan by four months. FOUR MONTHS. That is four "in your Depends eating pudding" months. The studies also indicate that reducing your weight does not significantly increase lifespan. I found that very interesting. I am just glad I never took up smoking.

I have to say, believing I would never see 30 years old, I am very pleased to be 40 and feeling pretty good about my next 40 years.

Schmoe- we met at the Mingling w/ the Muggles event. I've lost about 14# since February- all since I purchased a GPSr and started traipsing through snow and mud to locate the caches! Of course, karate twice a week and mucking out stalls and riding horses on Saturday and Sunday helped, too! My goal is to just get into some sort of shape (other than round - I'll settle for a good hourglass) so that I can then stay in shape. :laughing: And I'd love to find a manly man who likes women with curves! And who wants to help me find caches!

tbot

I'm a charter member of a new multi-disciplinary group:

Federated Union of Cachers and Kiteflyers, Obese, Fat, and Fun

We're still working on a new/better acronym for our t-shirts :lol:

nfa-jamie

Edited by NFA
I'm a charter member of a new multi-disciplinary group:

Federated Union of Cachers and Kiteflyers, Obese, Fat, and Fun

We're still working on a new/better acronym for our t-shirts :lol:

nfa-jamie

ROTFLMAO!!! Thats pretty good ... what to do with the letter 'K'? knothole, knuckleheads, knockwurst, knights, kibitzer... ah, kiteflyers is as good as any! :lol:

I used to date a guy who was 6'7" and 150 pounds. I could floss with him.

Someone pass the Windex....I need to clean the Diet Dew off my monitor!

LMAO!!! :lol:

yeah, my "good angel" tells me to never make fun of people's physical attributes, but I gotta admit, LOL....

Bad Auntie! Wicked Auntie!

(....do it again, weasel, do it again.....)

:lol:

Have to chime in here...

I'm 5'9 and about a year and half ago I was 264. Started dieting and caching more.

Caching got me more on an exercise kick. I really don't cache much, about 83 finds since I started, but it did encourage me to get healthier. I lost appox. 80 pounds in about 7 months. I have held it off and maintained it though the winter and now with the warmer weather I hope to reach my goal weight by sept. If not, I gotta be pleased where I am at.

Thanks for the tread to give me a chance to brag :ph34r:

Hey briansnat, cool avatar. I still have that album somewhere in a box... "written by Bill Nelson, produced by Bill Nelson, guitars and vocals by Bill Nelson".

PS: If you still like British-based groups with Asiatic-looking bass players, check out Feeder.

Edited by sTeamTraen