Fat Cachers!

I was 240 (everyone says I didn't look a pound over 230) until I stopped drinking beer during the week. I don't know what I'm at now, but I'm fitting into pants I haven't fit into in 5 years. You know, the pants you have in the closet that you won't throw away because you plan to lose weight and wear them again some day. Well it happened.

I was around 215 when they fit so I'm guessing I'm in that ballpark now.

I was an obese 335 on Feb 15th and started to eat healthy, then I started to try to get active and THEN I DISCOVERED GEOCACHING. I'm down to 299 and love my new outdoor, active hobby. I am in withdrawals this weekend since I could not go caching yesterday. My long term goal (1-3 lbs per week, so it's gonna take a while) is to get down to a trim 199. So you'll be seeing less of me on the GC Trails but I'll be out there more and more. ;)

For many people, a moderate amount of exercise is not only the main difference between losing weight or not; it's also a solution to the real problem. Studies have consistently failed to find significant health risks in the single fact of being overweight, even quite severely so. What kills you is being out of condition. Of course, that also very often goes with overweight, but it can be a cause as much as an effect.

I'm more or less ideal weight (6'4 200 lbs) but I've never been very fit. My stamina and general fitness level have noticeably increased in the last year with all this walking up and down hills (2/3 of the caches I find seem to involve 1000 ft or more or elevation change!).

370!! :D

But hey!!

It's an improvement!

I started at 395! :D

And Geocaching is the reason!

Back in January I went with my bro-in-law on my first cache and I had to stop twice for a breather on a 1/1 with an about a 1/4 mile one way easy walk.

I realized then that I had gotten SERIOUSLY, SERIOUSLY out of shape!!

A decent cache on any sort of incline was definately out of the question.

(Back 20 some odd years ago, I played soccer, rode 20-30 miles a week on my bicycle, and did rollerskate dance competitions!! :D What the heck happened to that guy!! ;) )

I've been getting out walking more and more and have built up my stamina some.

Just yesterday, I scoped out a future hide site near the previous 1/1.

It was on the same trail system as the 1/1 but about 1/2 mile further on down.

I went to the future hide site, stopped and rested for about 30 minutes while I took readings & walked away and back about 23-30 yards to check my waypoint. Then I walked back to my car by finishing the loop that the trail forms. It was about 3/4 mile back, BUT, around the last 100-125 yards was a fairly moderate incline (for a walking and bicycle path) and it really whooped me!!

I got to the trail head and had to lean against the gate and rest for a bit before I could walk back to my car.

Had to get a waypoint for the trailhead anyways, so I would have stopped reguardless. But I was defiantely greatful to be stopping.

I really wanted to stop and get a breather while coming up the incline, but I pushed myself and made it!!

3 months ago, I seriously doubt I could have made the round trip walk without medical attention!! :D;):D

D-man :)

I'm 330 lbs, but not in too bad a shape, but I could stand to loose some weight. I still play rugby with the "young men" (18 and over), but qualify as an old boy (35+). Here's a picture of me from a CITO event yesterday:

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/a1f46...4824b9d9d4f.jpg

I'm the guy with my daughter on my shoulders.

Good for all of you who are getting out geocaching and changing your lifestyle and getting healthier.

Last June, I found out I had very high BP (180/110) (5'4" and was 215 lbs). I had been geocaching for 9 months already, but avoided any climbing. I had no stamina and bad knees. I have lost 40 lbs with exercise, diet and geocaching. I can now climb amost of the hills in the area. I recently did a 6.7 mile flat hike and on another climbed up 1000 ft. Just waiting for the rainy season to end to get those caches in the hills.

Edited by Wacka
Is 6'1" @ 180 considered too skinny?

Yes, for me it would be to skinny. I am 6'1" and went from 210 down to 180 and didn't like it at all. I felt too weak and didn't feel like I had enough bulk, I didn't feel strong. Currently, I'm back to 210 but thats too much so I'm going to try and level off at 195.

As for beer drinking adding weight ... its true. I gave up beer for 12 months and managed to keep my weight under 200. Then when my one year was up, I gained about 8 pounds in a week.

I am a fat cacher. Don't really know how much since the doctor's scales stop at 350. It does keep me from some of the harder caches. My goal this summer is to shed a little bit and make myself go for some of those harder ones. Since I have two little boys now, I really do need to lose the weight so I can be around for them.

part of why I looked to Geocaching was to get a little more excersice (any amount is more than I was doing). I'm 6'0" and 215lbs. Hoping my belly starts working its way back the other way this summer if I can get enough caching/hiking in.

18 months ago I was 5’10” and 260 pounds! I’m now down to 182 pounds. I would like to give geocaching all of the credit, but walking in the woods was only part of it. I did do a lot of “Push Aways”

Push Away from the table

Push Away from McDonalds

Push Away from Coors

Push Away from Krispy Kream

until I stopped drinking beer during the week.

I am sorry that such a tragic thing happened to you. :oB)

I know a cacher who lost about 80 lbs from caching.

I have started doing this to maintain my current weight: If I cache, I get to drink beer. I figure the calories burned caching equal the calories of a beer or too. Mmmm beer. B)

For many people, a moderate amount of exercise is not only the main difference between losing weight or not; it's also a solution to the real problem.  Studies have consistently failed to find significant health risks in the single fact of being overweight, even quite severely so.  What kills you is being out of condition.  Of course, that also very often goes with overweight, but it can be a cause as much as an effect.

I'm more or less ideal weight (6'4 200 lbs) but I've never been very fit.  My stamina and general fitness level have noticeably increased in the last year with all this walking up and down hills (2/3 of the caches I find seem to involve 1000 ft or more or elevation change!).

I can attest to this as I am around 245 at 5'10 and can out pace any of the people myself and misses apple cache, hike or do anything with. A lot of our friends are what would be considered "in shape" and they are out of breath 1/4 of the way up a large incline while I stand at the top shaking my head. I wouldn't say that I am perfectly healthy, but I believe despite my weight I may possibly be in better shape than some of our friends. This is also despite gaining 45 pounds in the last 6 months. I was 312, dropped to 200 last year. Had some surgery and became imobile for some time... used that as an excuse to eat like crap and am now at 245 and hopefully dropping. The misses isn't quite at ideal weight either, but she is becoming much more "in shape" as we go along both wieght and cardiovascular. Improved activity is what helps someone become more healthy... Although losing weight does help, and does in some way encourage activity. Its not the answer to all of our problems. Someone who is only 5'5" and 180 may be out of breath climbing three stairs, have high colesterol and blood pressure through the roof. Weight does not always mean health.

Edited by Apples 2 Apples

yes, of course I must weigh in on this topic.....

for those of you that do want to calculate your body mass index (BMI, which adjusts for weight, height, gender, age), here are some links, or you can google "body mass index" to find a BMI calculator or BMI website that you like best:

http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/calc-bmi.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/bmi-for-age.htm

yes, absolutely, it's not just about fat, or BMI for that matter, it's about fitness, stamina, and being in shape.

but for those of you who are just in the "beginning throes" of reclaiming your fitness, and if you might be in a "high risk" category (e.g. extremely obese, personal or family history of cardiovascular problems,etc).....please think about first making an appointment with a health care professional who can talk you through a reasonable workout plan, including how to incrementally step-up the strenousness over time, and can show you how to monitor your heart rate to make sure you're staying safe....if not for yourself, then do it for us.....you know, we worry.....

:unsure:

now, about that other topic "do chicks dig big guys".....I think, for gal's, it's not so much about big guys or small guys or tall guys or short guys or beefy guys or lean guys......it's more about a "guy guy" being a stand-up guy, being a good guy, a well-balanced guy (confident but not arrogant, sensitive but not whiney, attentive but not controlling, etc), not a shallow guy, not a gay guy, and whatever the guy's physical attributes, those are secondary.....seriously, just check out Match.com, and compare the guy's profiles to the gal's profiles....... the gal's profiles HARDLY EVER mention a guy's physical attributes as important; yet nine times out of ten, no nineteen out of twenty, or twenty nine times out of thirty, the guy's profiles mention that they're looking for a gal that's "attractive", or "pretty", or "slim", or some other measure of "physical worth"....I'm telling ya, I ain't making this stuff up, check it out for yourself........

Back when I was around thirty or so, I started packing on the pounds. I was becoming less and less active, but I kept eating like I did when I was out marching with the kids every day. Then about four years ago, I started caching. I was becoming more and more active and I could feel my stamina increase. I lost about 25 pounds and was really feeling good.

Unfortunately, sometimes feeling too good about yourself can lead to TPTB knocking your down a few pegs. Since my accident last June, I find myself regressing into slovenly inactivity. I hurt, therefore I eat. When I'm depressed, I eat. When I'm bored, I eat. I've been doing alot of eating, but little moving. moo.

Edited by sbell111