What Is Your 60c/60cs/60 Accuracy?

I have the 76C which is basically the same as the 60C. Just last Sunday, I conducted a GPS Contest which was a part of the Spring Fling in Bremerton, WA.

On the west side of my home which is on a hill with a clear view of the SW, I can

usually get down to 6 ft. with all Ds on the bars. At the contest site which is not as good as my home, I let the 76C acquire for about three hours using an external

amplified antenna on a stand about 10 feet high. Then I let it acquire until it was down to around 6 feet. At that time I set in to averaging and it went down to 2.4 feet. Now this is with the external antenna at about 10 feet above ground. Then I marked ground zero. What was amazing that we had 38 contestents. Over 50% of the group was within 6 feet of ground zero.

All were within 15 feet. A Garmin Etrex Legend was the winner. It was 11 inches from Ground Zero. The model or type of GPS didn't seem to make any difference.

Neither did experience of the Cachers. Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

Hi, i live in the uk i get between 15-70 in the field. But i did a litttle experiment at my home back garden. Ground level is about 100ft above sea level, i have a good clear view to the east and southern horizon. If i point the gprs to the east or south horizon depending on which waas/egnos birds are positioned i can get a few 'd' s (1-5) that usually gets me down to about 6-10, i have to keep still though heh heh heh. A few weeks ago i was on location to a cache that was about 400ft above sea level and got a few 'd' s while moving!!! strange thing is although the gprs tried to get a lock on a waas/egnos bird (bar is hollow and flashes) i still get the corrections!!??

GPSr is map 60CS ver 3.70

Just my two pence worth.

Lee

Edited by l_e_e

I live in the City of Richmond which is on an island in a river delta.

The island is totally and completely flat and the elevartion is 8 feet below sea level.

My 60C reads -10 feet (below sea level) 90% of the time.

That is elevation.

As for lat/long accuracy ..if I am out on the open ocean from here with all satelites reading 'D" I have accuracy of 2 metres.

These units will not read under 2 metres or 6 feet. You will never see those numbers on the display. If you do your unit is faulty. (read your manual)

If you claim the it read 1 foot accuracy I urge you to use "ximage " to do a screen capture and share that image with us all.

I live in the City of Richmond which is on an island in a river delta.

The island is totally and completely flat and the elevartion is 8 feet below sea level.

My 60C reads -10 feet (below sea level) 90% of the time.

That is elevation.

As for lat/long accuracy ..if I am out on the open ocean from here with all satelites reading 'D" I have accuracy of 2 metres.

These units will not read under 2 metres or 6 feet. You will never see those numbers on the display. If you do your unit is faulty. (read your manual)

If you claim the it read 1 foot accuracy I urge you to use "ximage " to do a screen capture and share that image with us all.

I am using the 76C which I believe is roughly the same as the 60C. Thank you for pointing out it will never indicate below 6 ft. I have never seen mine below 6 feet when acquiring but after over 2000 measurement counts when averaging and an external antenna at about 10 feet it did indicate 2.4 ft. I just assumed that was an accuracy indication. However the coordinates never changed from when it indicated 6 ft from acquiring with all Ds and #47, the WAAS satellite. i would like to get this correct as I told the contestents in the GPS Contest that I was getting 2.4 ft. I don't want to lie to them. Thanks Dick, W7WT BTW I live in Bremerton, WA not that far away from you.

Edited by W7WT

I'm assuming you folks are talking about the "Estimated Accuracy" that the GPSr claims on the screen? Mine (Etrex Legend) usually runs about 15ft with a clear sky and varies quite a bit with tree cover.

I was out doing some benchmarks a couple days ago with crystal clear skys. Had WAAS off, with good solid locks on 11 birds. I set the GPSr on the sidewalk right next to the benchmark to snap a photo of it and after settling down it was consistently showing less than 3.75 feet from the entered coords. Wish I could get that kind of accuracy when hunting a micro. :)