atomicbartbeans

Welcome!!

I would recommend getting a few finds under your belt before you hide one. It'll give you some ideas on how to hide and where to hide. Also hang out on the forums for a while to get to know what everyone else is doing etc.

We have 30-some finds, and are just now getting comfortable enough with it to try to hide one........

Good luck!

worried.gif Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

Do some of those easy caches to get a feel for what you like and don't like and what is a good hide and what is not. Then find a few harder ones and do those while your planning your first hide.

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

A couple of years ago I too got a GPSr for Christmas, and did exactly what you are asking about! I was all fired up to hide a cache, so I went out and did it....problem being that I had NO caching experience under my belt. To make a long story short, I messed it up and would highly recommend that you do as suggested by the previous posts and go on some hunts first. Make mental (or written) notes of what you like and don't like about each cache. This will help you make a cache others will enjoy.

Welcome to the game!!

Dave

Me ambivalent? Well..... yes and no.

As with just about everything else in life, the secret is in the preparation. Don't just load stuff into a Tupperware box and then try and find somewhere to put it. Take time to do a bit of research, look at a big scale local map then go and check out a couple of places. Check out the GPS reception, stuff like that. Then when you're really happy, place the cache. Try to make it just that little bit better than the ones you've found.

John

The Team... A group of people who, individually, can do nothing but collectively.. decide that nothing can be done. icon_wink.gif