Magellan Explorist 400, 500 & 600 Accessories

That's a nice picture of what is going on.  I'm wondering why someone couldn't make a symetric USB cable that didn't matter which way it was connected (i.e. one that supplied USB power to pins 2 and 5, and USB ground to pins 1 and 4).  Is there some problem doing this?

You can't because Magellan deliberately set it up this way. I have had several USB powered rechargeable devices and I've never had one that mattered if it was on or off or if it charged or not. They have all charged when plugged in even when on.

Just because Magellan set it up that way doesn't mean it can't be done. I'm saying that there is no reason it can't be done. Does anyone have a technical reason why providing USB power to both wouldn't work?

--Marky

I found a car charger today at Walmart that works with my E500. It is designed for a Sony PSP (portable play station). The PSP uses the USB standard so the output is just over 5 V, and the plug is identical to the one on the wall charger that came with the unit. The best part -only $7!! The unit is made by Pelican and claims it will recharge a PSP in 2 hours. Here is their website: http://www.pelicanperformance.com/ Look under PSP. The PSP battery is a 3.7 V Li-ion and looks remarkably similar in size to the E500.

This charger plugs into the Y on the USB cord just like the wall plug that came with the unit.

ScottOski

Edited by ScottOSki

I got my Gilsson Explorist Case Friday. Put it through it's paces Saturday.

My initial impressions:

Pro

• First available case for the Explorist series that allows the unit to be used while in the case
  • Easy to take on and off
  • Easy to use all buttons while inside case
  • Fit to unit is excellent
  • Gilsson actually solicits feedback on the case to make it better

Con

• No quick release belt/holster clip - the unit has a 'clip' and a velco attachment (I think for connection to a belt), but to me these are almost worthless, as I want to take the unit off my waist often to check coords, etc. While you can use the clip (see pic at link above) it's nowhere near as handy as the typical belt clip
  • No hole/opening for the lanyard to be used while in the case
  • The case has a single hole for the joystick to pop through - this hole is a bit small, and makes for having to slide the neoprene around so that hole lines up just so - not a huge deal, but I had to adjust the unit in the case each time I took it out.
  • Unit had slight wrinkles in the plastic window - hoping they go away with some use

I may well cut off the clip and velcro attachement on the back of the unit just to make it sleeker, and likely might cut a hole for the lanyard. Other than that, the case it pretty nice, and until something much slicker comes along, will fit the bill quite nicely.

Brian

looking at pc-mobile website

For a car charger would you need these 2 items?

Car USB adapter / charging cable set for most PDAs

Car USB adapter (CK203) + USB charge cable (PUC2 - see above) at reduced price.

Code:CKUC

$ 13.95

and this

DC Adapter Dongle - 4.0/1.7 DC jack

Carry this instead of the original USB cable, or as a spare.

Connect to the original AC adapter or PUC2. (with USB power)

Code:DCGMX-

$ 8.75

I may well cut off the clip and velcro attachement on the back of the unit just to make it sleeker, and likely might cut a hole for the lanyard. Other than that, the case it pretty nice, and until something much slicker comes along, will fit the bill quite nicely.

Brian

Have you tried mounting the case to bicycle handlebars? If so, do you think you would trust the attachment mechanism on a mountain bike?

--Marky

Have you tried mounting the case to bicycle handlebars?  If so, do you think you would trust the attachment mechanism on a mountain bike?

No way I'd trust mine for a handlebar mount. No way. Strongly recommend getting the Magellen or RAM mount for that purpose -- with the Gilsson I'm sure it would be one bump and you're back to waiting for UPS again.

Regarding the quickrelease complaints for the hook at the top -- I looped mine thru one of those carbinders that people use for keychains these days. Works fine that way.

edit: spelling

Edited by northernpenguin
Have you tried mounting the case to bicycle handlebars?  If so, do you think you would trust the attachment mechanism on a mountain bike?

--Marky

Marky,

I haven't tried it, but I don't think it will work - I initially was thinking about putting it around the steering wheel, but the velcro strip isn't long enough, so I doubt that I can get it around my handlebars.

If it did fit, I don't think I'd have any issue with putting it on, though you'd have to come up with a way to keep it from slipping around on the handlebars...

I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Brian

I found a car charger today at Walmart that works with my E500.  It is designed for a Sony PSP (portable play station).  The PSP uses the USB standard so the output is just over 5 V, and the plug is identical to the one on the wall charger that came with the unit.  The best part -only $7!!  The unit is made by Pelican and claims it will recharge a PSP in 2 hours.  Here is their website:  http://www.pelicanperformance.com/  Look under PSP.  The PSP battery is a 3.7 V Li-ion and looks remarkably similar in size to the E500.

This charger plugs into the Y on the USB cord just like the wall plug that came with the unit.

ScottOski

I was in Mallwart today and happened across the charger you described. With your post in mind I decided to give it a try. Works great! These look like the way to go rather than the official Magellan offering at $20 IMHO.

Edit: spelling, what else?

Edited by embra

Have any of you seen this explorist 500 3A battery pack? I found the pic on the yahoo group site. I have no way of contacting the poster (pcmobile99) to find out where it is available.

http://f5.grp.yahoofs.com

/v1/UKGPQooOgfhiM..._3A_adapter.jpg

If any of you can find out how to get one please post here.

Cheers

Muddler

Edited by Muddler

IIRC that photo is a of a prototype those guys made up. They may end up selling something like it themselves. However, there have been some indications that Magellan is going to be selling something very much like that themselves. I think we'll have to wait a while yet.

IIRC that photo is a of a prototype those guys made up.  They may end up selling something like it themselves.  However, there have been some indications that Magellan is going to be selling something very much like that themselves.  I think we'll have to wait a while yet.

I checked into Wallmart for a PSP charger and also found a 4xAAA battery pack. Seems like the PSP has all the same requirements and the plugs fit the Explorist cable. The Sony PSP has battery life issues so there are lots of solutions appearing. There are a lot more PSP's than there are Explorists so there's lots more competition and the price is right ;)

I finally received my Magellan - Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter #730387 for my eXplorist 600. I have enclosed a picture of the unit, back of the card it was attached to, and the connector. I have to use my original power cable with it to have it connect to the eXplorist.600Adpt.jpg

I bought a Belkin USB cig lighter adapter off eBay a couple of weeks ago and just used it this weekend. Worked just like when it's plugged into the computer. Up to charge while in use or down to run off external power. I don't know why they won't allow it to charge while in use when the cable is down. I have the Magellan car mount so I just used the cable in the down position most of the time.

-Bobby

I bought a Belkin USB cig lighter adapter off eBay a couple of weeks ago and just used it this weekend. Worked just like when it's plugged into the computer. Up to charge while in use or down to run off external power. I don't know why they won't allow it to charge while in use when the cable is down. I have the Magellan car mount so I just used the cable in the down position most of the time.

-Bobby

You can pick up a cheap inverter to plug into your cig lighter and then power the eXplorist with the 110V plug. Your cable will fit in the mount AND you can recharge while driving.

-Bobby

Look at steameng8's post above you. Using this and the usb cable the eXplorist came with, it will charge when down (so will charge when in the cradle).

--Marky

Isn't the only difference between using the cig lighter with out an inverter (DC to DC), or using the 110 V plug with the inverter (DC to AC to DC) that you're getting more amps? So it seems to me if the plug is down, and you get enough amps it charges.

I saw this PSP adapter on BestBuy.ca that should do the trick for $9.99 CDN:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a...10056735&catid=

I read posts on another site from people using it for charging x50v PDAs while they're on. I think I'll give it a try for 10 bucks!

-Bluenoser

Edited by bluenoser613

Just a caution to those connecting the Magellan supplied cord to the Explorist in the "upside down" position. It appears the wires that go from the USB plug to the GPS screw in connector are very small gauge and not designed to support large amounts of current. Charging the battery this way might not be a good idea and could lead to damage. The wires that go from the charging plug at the Y are larger gauge. Check out this link: http://www.pc-mobile.net/mexusb.htm

Scott

Isn't the only difference between using the cig lighter with out an inverter (DC to DC), or using the 110 V plug with the inverter (DC to AC to DC) that you're getting more amps?  So it seems to me if the plug is down, and you get enough amps it charges.

Totally untrue. It will charge if there is power applied to pins 5 and 6. When the cord is down, pins 1 and 2 have power from the USB connection and pins 5 and 6 get power from the addapter plugged into the cable. When you invert it, the Pins 1 and 2 of the cable (USB power) are now in contact with pins 5 and 6 on the GPS, so it charges (not quite as fast, but it does charge just fine).

If you want the USB cable to charge with the cord down, power has to be applied to the addapter plug on the cable. That is what the above pictured accessory does.

600Adpt.jpg

--Marky

Totally untrue.  It will charge if there is power applied to pins 5 and 6.  When the cord is down, pins 1 and 2 have power from the USB connection and pins 5 and 6 get power from the addapter plugged into the cable.  When you invert it, the Pins 1 and 2 of the cable (USB power) are now in contact with pins 5 and 6 on the GPS, so it charges (not quite as fast, but it does charge just fine).

If you want the USB cable to charge with the cord down, power has to be applied to the addapter plug on the cable.  That is what the above pictured accessory does.

--Marky

Ah, I get it now. Magellan isn't very clear on this topic.

Cheers!

Bluenoser

Edited by bluenoser613
Totally untrue.  It will charge if there is power applied to pins 5 and 6.  When the cord is down, pins 1 and 2 have power from the USB connection and pins 5 and 6 get power from the addapter plugged into the cable.  When you invert it, the Pins 1 and 2 of the cable (USB power) are now in contact with pins 5 and 6 on the GPS, so it charges (not quite as fast, but it does charge just fine).

If you want the USB cable to charge with the cord down, power has to be applied to the addapter plug on the cable.  That is what the above pictured accessory does.

--Marky

Ah, I get it now. Magellan isn't very clear on this topic.

That is an understatement! I only know as much as I do because of tests done by Robert Lipe and some web pages by those gps hacker guys. They will be up to speed eventually, but the product line is different enough that the support folks don't have the right answers yet.

--Marky

It looks like Magellan got tired of answering the USB cable connection question (up or down). This link to a PDF file is now on the site: http://www.magellangps.com/assets/caution_eXplorist_1up.pdf

Cable down is the "official" Magellan answer.

Scott

"Caution: Please attach the USB connector to the of

your eXplorist™ GPS receiver prior to connecting AC power and

the USB connector into your PC."

What the heck? Do they REALLY want me to unplug the cable from my computer and unplug the AC power before I attach my GPS, and then re-plug in the USB and AC power? That would be lame. What are they really trying to say? And what's the proper order for removing them? :)

--Marky

OK - now I am totally confused (read noob, :D or whatever). I will ask the question so others can lurk and seem informed later. :) The eXplorist documentation says nothing about the "up" or "down" position for the cable that comes with the GPSr. So for those who are just watching, I am assuming that down has the connection with the cord running down the back of the GPS towards the bottom, While "up" would have the cord coming out the top of the back of the unit.

So right now I have my eX600 attached to my CPU via the USB port and in the "down" position. The power cord (the part that goes from your wall electrical outlet to the GPS-USB cord via the Y-adapter) is NOT attached. The eX600 is not on. Am I charging the battery right now or not? If I went with the up position in the same scenario above, would it charge the battery? And who came up with this lame method anyway - sheesh. Its a pain what you have to put up with to get the water tight characteristics.

I have to use my original power cable with it to have it connect to the eXplorist.

Groan.

Can't they make a cable that goes from the 12v outlet to the GPS without having to use a second cable?

If I could find a donor piece, I'm pretty sure I could make my own cable that would run from the lighter socket to the GPS, with a switch for either charging the GPS or using it as external power.

Jamie

I, too, am suprised that's how they made this cable.

http://pc-mobile.net/mexgps.htm seems much closer to the model I'd want. MEXDU + CK203 would do it for me.

(My Irivier H10 has the same goofy power cable scheme: charge slowly from USB or rapidly via a brick plugged into a spinal tap in the cable I find the slow charge while in the vehicle an acceptable trade if I could use a mere two cables to charge both a GPS and media player instead of carrying four.).

http://pc-mobile.net/mexgps.htm seems much closer to the model I'd want. MEXDU + CK203 would do it for me.

But you wouldn't be able to charge the GPS. Well, if you turned the cable around you could.

My GPS cradle is more-or-less permanantly mounted, and I plan to hardwire the cable. So for me to have to take the GPS out of the crade, extract the cable from the cradle, then hook it to the GPS upside down so I can charge it in the car (or on the motorcycle) without being able to put it back in the cradle is unacceptable to me.

I'll have to figure out a way to both charge and power the GPS in the car while it's in the cradle.

Jamie

Actually, I was referring to the model of it being a self-contained cable and not a "strap-on" to the cable that came with the unit more than this specific model of cable.

But since I've never charged my explorist any way other than via the power on the USB rails, I think that'd be a an OK tradeoff. Now perhaps if I was on one of my marathon caching days (which I have so far not undertaken with an explorist) and was draining it faster than it'd charge, I'd fall out of love with this idea.

I haven't actually tried the pc-mobile cables. I'm just saying that the USB charging option via the "slow drip" that I described earlier isn't inherently a deal-breaker for me.

There's probably an opportunity for PC-mobile to flip the finger to the USB spec and hook the USB power lines up to the high-drain power inputs. Yeah, if you plug this into your PDA's USB jack, you deserve what you get, but folks using something like the Versacharger or the similar PC-Mobile product that can surely deliver more than the 1/10th amp guaranteed by USB in the non-enumerated state, it sure could be a win.

Won't applying power to the tap via a PSP cigarette lighter cord charge the GPS with the cable in the down position?

Yes, absolutely it will. This is how I charge and power the unit at the same time if the battery is getting low. If the battery doesn't need charging I just plug the USB cord into a Belkin cigarette USB adapter to provide external power.

Not to be too repetetive but I am going to warn everyone again about attaching the Magellan supplied cable to the unit in the "upside down" position. While this does allow charging, the wires from the USB plug to the GPS connector are small gauge and not designed to support the larger amperages that the battery may draw while charging. The safe way to charge is to connect the AC or DC cord to the "Y" in the Magellan supplied cord with the connector attached to the GPS in the down (correct) orientation.

Scott

I found a PSP car adapter cable in a bargin bin at EB Games ($10 CDN). It's a MadCatz product that plugs in to the AC port mid-way down the Explorist USB cable.

The MadCatz output is 5V/2A, but the AC adapter from Magellan is 5V/1A. What will the extra amp do? I tried it out for a few minutes and it seems to work okay, but I'm wondering what prolonged use will do. Any thoughts?

-Bluenoser

The extra amp will effectively fall on the floor.

That's a measure of current (power) the unit _can_ deliver. Since your new adapter will deliver all the current (that's the amperage rating) your unit needs - and some - you'll be fine.

When you aren't using all 300 horsepower from the engine in your car, it's OK, too. :laughing:

(This is where that guy in the yahoo group arguing with a roomfull of EE's will now butt in and say that you only need to connect one of the two wires, too.)

Is anyone shipping the Magellan brand explorist USB cables? I just got my windshield mount and want to mount the cable behind my dash. I got the powercable set from pc mobile. The pc mobile cable will work in the up or down position or actually its left or right. One way will show Charging and the other shows external power.

My plan is to get the Magelln cable that snaps into the mount and run it behind the plastics and under the dash using a extender cable to the cigarette lighter power adapter.

I don't think they are shipping yet...and ScottOski just posted today that when he contacted Magellan about a replacement, they replied that he is in line for backordered cables.

It looks like a lot of the accessories are only trickling into the market. E.g., I don't think they are selling replacement/backup Li-Ion batteries yet, either.

The PC mobile cable is only a power cable. I wouldnt be able to transfer my waypoints. I would like to see a GPS with a beam function similiar to a palm that would allow you to beam waypoints and more from GPS to GPS. Maybe even a camera like a cellfone

WHy not go whole hog and give it bluetooth sync cabability. Beaming is low-tech. :D Of course, bluetooth is low tech. But then again, it's very useful if you have something like Tomtom on your palm.

--Marky

Someone somewhere mentioned a driver being needed for live tracking. Have any of you Macintosh guys tried live NMEA tracking via the USB cable? Right now I'm using a Garmin 12XL, but am thinking of upgrading to an E500.

I have to say, this stuff about the cables is losing me a bit since I don't onw the GPS.

Let me see if I understand. The data cable connects to the GPS and to the computer via USB. There's another connection on the Magellan cable that allows DC voltage to charge the GPS while in use, otherwise the USB simply powers the unit without charging the battery. Right?

People are using third party DC chargers to power AND charge the unit without Magellan's cable. Right?

Parsa

Someone somewhere mentioned a driver being needed for live tracking. Have any of you Macintosh guys tried live NMEA tracking via the USB cable?

I had mac on loan. Plugged an explorist into it, chose "NMEA tracking" and the device was immediately recognized by OSX as a serial device and NMEA sentences started appearing.

I'll leave it to the real Mac users to recommend a specific program, but the NMEA tracking does work on OSX without any of the horrors associated with Garmin USB.

Plugged an explorist [in], chose "NMEA tracking" and the device was immediately recognized by OSX as a serial device and NMEA sentences started appearing.

I've been sitting on the fence between getting an Explorist 400 and a Garmin GPSMAP 60. You just pushed me back solidly into the Magellan camp with this tidbit.

Plug it into my Mac and transfer maps, waypoints, and routes; recognized as a serial device for NMEA data -- all without installing drivers or running VPC.

They're going where Garmin & Lowrance fear to tread...

Plug it into my Mac and transfer maps, waypoints, and routes; recognized as a serial device for NMEA data -- all without installing drivers or running VPC.

To clarify for the others in the audience, "transfer maps" in that sentence is not the same as "creating maps".

You'll still need a PC or VPC and a Mapsend-like substance to create those maps. But if you want to borrow a PC for an afternoon, create a region for every area you might ever want to visit, shuffle those off to CD/DVD/whatever and just use your mac to copy files to your SD card (either in the unit or via card reader) that should be fine. OK, you won't be able to route between regions so if you were visiting some place that's on the boundary between your precooked regions, things might be inconvenient.

This really is something Magellan got right: maps, waypoints, tracks, and routes are just plain ole files that you copy to and from a plain ole mass storage device. No special host code needed. If you choose NMEA, the devices appears as a CDC/ACM device on the bus so it looks like a serial port on your system. I tested it on Linux, OSX, and Windows and it just worked - no drivers required.

In short, it's a big contrast to the pain in my butt that Garmin's USB is.

To clarify for the others in the audience, "transfer maps" in that sentence is not the same as "creating maps"....

Well, yeah. To really round out the package for Mac users they would need a native OS X version of MapSend - at least the bits that extract and compile the detail maps. But as you pointed out, borrowing a PC for a while to compile the maps you need and burn them to a CD is easy.

For that matter, compiling maps in Virtual PC isn't even that bad if you have the time (you only gotta do it once) and you don't have to worry about VPC's problems with serial & USB transfers.

As for everything else MapSend does - transfering waypoints, routes, etc. - apps like GPSBabel fill the need quite nicely.

BTW Robert: When you plugged in the Explorist to your borrowed Mac, and opened your terminal emulator, or Route66, or whatever Mac app you were using for tests - what name did OS X give to the serial port?

Edited by lee_rimar
Let me see if I understand. The data cable connects to the GPS and to the computer via USB. There's another connection on the Magellan cable that allows DC voltage to charge the GPS while in use, otherwise the USB simply powers the unit without charging the battery. Right?

People are using third party DC chargers to power AND charge the unit without Magellan's cable. Right?

You got things pretty much right in the first paragraph. If you are on USB only connection, it will actually charge the unit, but only slowly if the GPSr is off, and only very slowly if it is operating. That's why the 4xAA USB power supplies need along overnight charge to bring a discharged battery back to full charge.

The third party DC chargers still require the Magellan cable (or an alternative substitute from pc-mobile). These cables connect directly to the back of the explorist, and have a female connector for the DC charger in the middle of the cable. The USB connector is at the other end. The chargers supply sufficient power to charge the battery while the unit is operating.

Lee: get the 500. Color is cool, and--though I don't know what 400's cost--I'll bet the 500 is not much more expensive at Comp-U-Plus.

Well, I just took the plunge and bought an eXplorist 500 today. I got the GPS with Topo 3D for $363 including shipping. Even though I mainly used a Garmin 12XL, I also own a Magellan GPS Companion for my Visor PDAs. So, it's technically not my first Magellan.

Now I have to think about accessories, but I think I'll wait to see and use the machine first.

I'll definitely need the car charger/power. I also want the Gillson case. The thing I was wondering about is car mount and power vs. the use of a case. I like the idea of keeping the machine in the case with the cover. My Garmin has one big scratch and several minor ones from scraping it on rocks out in the chaparral. However, isn't it a pain to use the case and also use the car mount and power?

Parsa

To clarify for the others in the audience, "transfer maps" in that sentence is not the same as "creating maps".

You'll still need a PC or VPC and a Mapsend-like substance to create those maps. But if you want to borrow a PC for an afternoon, create a region for every area you might ever want to visit, shuffle those off to CD/DVD/whatever and just use your mac to copy files to your SD card (either in the unit or via card reader) that should be fine. OK, you won't be able to route between regions so if you were visiting some place that's on the boundary between your precooked regions, things might be inconvenient.

Yeah, the step not referenced here is that you really need to use the conversion manager to convert the MapSend maps to the eXp format before you write them to CD/DVD.

If I were going this route, I would have overlapping regions so that I would be able to select an appropriate map region that would allow me to route to my destination. If you use a DVD, I bet you could store plenty of overlapping regions. Of course, this would take you about a weekend (or so) of PC time to do this. :lol:

--Marky

Yeah, the step not referenced here is that you really need to use the conversion manager to convert the MapSend maps to the eXp format before you write them to CD/DVD.

Are you sure about that? If you've entered an appropriate serial # for an explorist into a modern mapsend, it generates the maps in the right format.

I think we've established that for maps, the conversion manager thingy doesn't actually convert and is merely an inefficient wrapper for "copy".

RE: USB cable for Explorist.

Got mine in the car now, cutoff the usb part about 1" below power jack; it works fine, you will have to screw it into the gps though as after a few bumps it would "alarm, external power diconnect"......neat. My mount is the explorist taken off the swival, and attached to a ram flexi and 3" arm, with small ball mounts for arm. I''ll try and post some pics of it later.

How do you add pics to post????

Edited by Old Sailor

OK, I have a Mac and an Explorist 600.

Right now, I am just trying to upload GPX files into my Explorist from my Mac.

When I plug my Explorist into my Mac, it comes up when I select "File Transfere" mode, but nothing shows up on the desktop when I select "NMEA tracking"

Now when I plug it in using "file Transfere" mode, I can actually see my GPS unit come up and the desktop (like a portable drive). I can even see the files. My GPS even gives me the the choice between internal memory or my SD card.

Now what?

I uploaded the GPX files the the unit and it did upload the file, but these files are not showing up on my POI fold on the Explorist (or anywhere else for that matter).

Do I hav to convert this GPX file first? If yes, with what?

How does not MacBable factor into this? I tried converting a flile from MacBable and I even uploaded that one too to my Explorist, but again nothing shows up on my GPS when I use GoTo.

I know this can done with a Mac, I appear to be so close. What am I doing wrong?