Magellan Contest

Hydnckr

The third just closed today. The cache was 10 miles from my house!!! I was FTF (fifth to find). Really bummed me out because they posted the coords when I was responding to a open door alarm where I work. I was gone for 30 minutes! As soon as I got home I shot out there but I was too late.

:o

Hope they don't decide that today is a holiday from the adventures, though I do hope everyone remembers to honor the memory of those who serve, past and present.

A plane crashes on the border between the US and Canada. Where do you bury the survivors?

By the way, BG, I didn't miss your emphasis on "present." I intentionally chose that wording as I believe it's quite possible to honor the memory of someone still alive when they're thousands of miles from home. I apologize if it confused you.

Hope they don't decide that today is a holiday from the adventures, though I do hope everyone remembers to honor the memory of those who serve, past and present.

A plane crashes on the border between the US and Canada. Where do you bury the survivors?

By the way, BG, I didn't miss your emphasis on "present." I intentionally chose that wording as I believe it's quite possible to honor the memory of someone still alive when they're thousands of miles from home. I apologize if it confused you.

Isn't that what Veterans Day is for?

Adventures #5 and #6 have been posted with their first journal entries. They skipped #4, but perhaps it will appear tomorrow. Adventure #5 might lead to the Houston, TX area. Adventure #6 could be anywhere along the Colorado River. Of course, things could change with new journal entries.

Off-topic: Yes, BG, if it makes you feel better, I'm sure you're right about Veterans Day, but many parents of current soldiers don't seem to care about the technical distinction. They're simply capitalizing on the opportunity today affords to remember the sacrifices their children are now making, just like those who served in the past. If you feel obligated to tell them how that lessens the true intent of Memorial Day, I hope you'll do so in another thread so that this one can stay on topic.

Does anyone know if there is a list of 2004's locations anywhere? (Won't bother asking about 2003, since apparently that was a disaster.) Searching gives me far too many places to wade through, at least from my keywords... either in the forums or elsewhere.

I don't know where to find a list, but here's the ones I remember for sure. (but not in this order)

They were mostly major metro areas.

There were 30 total

San Fransisco

Sacramento

Los Angeles

Albequerque

Seattle

New York

Denver

New Orleans

Philidelphia

Cleveland

St. Louis

Detroit

Pheonix

Salt Lake City

Tampa

Orlando

Dallas

I've got over half of them. I'd like to know the rest myself. What were the other 13?

Pittsburgh

Minneapolis

Indianapolis

Boston

Seattle

Rapid City

Chicago

Houston

Salt Lake City

Atlanta

D.C.

Charlotte

Miami

Portland

Milwaukee

I'm not sure about all of these, some might have been from Year #1. I kept notes on my guesses to the clues even when they were too far away for me to actually search for them so apologies in advance if the rest of the list isn't completely accurate.

Elizabeth

NH Moose... commenting that the Boston cache was impossible to find without the coordinates. How rude!

Personally, I think the Boston cache (hidden in a discrete, little-used, area of the Arboretum) was EXPERTLY hidden. Even more ingenious was the manner in which extra clues were deviously hidden in forum posts prior to the release of the coordinates.

Oh, what will the hider(s) think of THIS year to give resourceful geocaches that little edge?!

Pan

NH Moose... commenting that the Boston cache was impossible to find without the coordinates. How rude!

Personally, I think the Boston cache (hidden in a discrete, little-used, area of the Arboretum) was EXPERTLY hidden. Even more ingenious was the manner in which extra clues were deviously hidden in forum posts prior to the release of the coordinates.

Oh, what will the hider(s) think of THIS year to give resourceful geocaches that little edge?!

Pan

Aren't you suppose to use the coordinates to find a cache? Hey, the clues seem to put people right in the park. I read an FTF complaining last year that the clues weren't very good because he was 2.5 miles away when the coordinates were posted. When the clues start it can be anywhere in the U.S. He got down to 2.5 miles and the clues weren't good?

Other people complain about it being nothing but a race. But all of the caches in the game so far people have been withing .5 miles. The race at the final .25 miles is part of the thrill.

You know what would have been extremely cool to have done for the 2005 contest? Given that this is the 200th anniversary of the Lewis & Clark journey, a series of caches along the Lewis & Clark trail would have been a phenomenal idea. I've already heard that there are discussions about a series of special benchmarks that will be placed along the trail and that GC.com is involved.

You know what would have been extremely cool to have done for the 2005 contest? Given that this is the 200th anniversary of the Lewis & Clark journey, a series of caches along the Lewis & Clark trail would have been a phenomenal idea. I've already heard that there are discussions about a series of special benchmarks that will be placed along the trail and that GC.com is involved.

Here is my contribution near the start of thier journey -

Lewis & Clark First Steps