Magellan Contest

Hydnckr

Go to Magellan's website (or Thales Navigation) and send them an email. It'll get directed to the proper place B)

You are correct with your ironic remark.

I contacted them earlier because I wanted to asked them about plans to enlarge event from USA and Germany to other countries. They told me that they are just a sponsor of the events and not organise them. So they cannot do nothing about it. I asked them to whom I may contact in organising partner and they basicly told me they don't know who organise the events. Oh boy this is difficult. B)

Edited by TeamMH
Go to Magellan's website (or Thales Navigation) and send them an email. It'll get directed to the proper place B)

I contacted them earlier because I wanted to asked them about plans to enlarge event from USA and Germany to other countries. They told me that they are just a sponsor of the events and not organise them. So they cannot do nothing about it. I asked them to whom I may contact in organising partner and they basicly told me they don't know who organise the events. Oh boy this is difficult. B)

That's a much different question than your earlier one. Had I just given you a contact email, you would have been contacting someone in charge of the US portion of the game. Not much help if you're trying to expand the game in other countries.

Magellan is the US company

Thales Navigation is the worldwide company

I'll see if I can find someone from Thales to help you. Would you mind PM'ing me with your email address?

I don't see the difference with the questions. Perhaps because English is not my native language. Anyhow to be precise Magellan is Thales Navigations global brand for consumer GPS products. Magellan as a company doesn't exists anymore.

After taking couple of deep breaths I understod the situation. It is same in our company nobody know what other department is doing. :P Anyway I am going to solve this mystery some way or another. ;)

I don't see the difference with the questions. Perhaps because English is not my native language. Anyhow to be precise Magellan is Thales Navigations global brand for consumer GPS products. Magellan as a company doesn't exists anymore.

After taking couple of deep breaths I understod the situation. It is same in our company nobody know what other department is doing. :P Anyway I am going to solve this mystery some way or another. ;)

You first question was just "who organizes Magellan events?"

The problem is that you want information for Finland, and Magellan is not involved with the game outside of the US; Thales Navigation is.

Had I given you a contact at Magellan, they would have had to forward you to someone at Thales, or possibly just tell you they couldn't help like the tech support guy did in response to your email.

When I get back to my desk, I'l look up the contact info for Thales.

I got an email from Magellan/Thales Navigation about this year's contest and checked the link they provided. I decided to check for a forum to see what everyone was saying about it. I read the press release mentioned at the beginning of this topic... Then I was lost... It doesn't say anything about the game being "worldwide". There is no mention of a "worldwide contest" or 'worldwide game". I know it has been a lot of years since I have been out of school, but if my reading comprehension still works, the press release stated that their "marketing program launches worldwide" and that they announced the launch of their "global 'Be There' marketing campaign", the contest is just part of the marketing. Unless I missed something, the contest is never mentioned as being "worldwide". The North American ad campaign is "scheduled from April through July in North America", that doesn't mean they haven't scheduled advertising in other countries as well. I mean, do you really care when their ads are running in say... France? No... not unless you live in France, and I am sure their French marketing people are taking care of that. But that's just my 2 cents...

Anyhow... we got a hat the first year when we found the 2nd Pittsburgh cache (the one placed after the "incident"). We didn't learn about the game last year until too late. We'll be playing again this year. As with anything, the contests will get better, so don't let past years' discourage you. You are in it for the thrill of the hunt anyhow right? LOL... ok, ok, a cool prize would be great too. But come on, don't take this so seriously!!! Just go out there and have fun - "Be There"!

Go to Magellan's website (or Thales Navigation) and send them an email. It'll get directed to the proper place ;)

I contacted them earlier because I wanted to asked them about plans to enlarge event from USA and Germany to other countries. They told me that they are just a sponsor of the events and not organise them. So they cannot do nothing about it. I asked them to whom I may contact in organising partner and they basicly told me they don't know who organise the events. Oh boy this is difficult. :huh:

If you want to get a sponsored game going in Canada, you should contact the Thales Navigation Media/PR department.

They might not add it to this contest, but I bet they’d be willing to expand to anywhere they think they could sell GPSrs.

We missed the FTF on the Tampa cache last year by 3 minutes (And missed being the only team to win grand prize back-to-back years. I'm still really sore about that one) We didn't even send in out runner-up voucher.

We will not be defeated this year.

Doombot!

so we are suppose to be able to sign up and get clues today, but i cant find anywhere on their site where you can get clues or anything. is it not up and running yet?

Wellmy guess is that it will start sometime after 8AM west coast time when there is someone there to post the information in the website. 3:08ammay be just a little to early. :P

so we are suppose to be able to sign up and get clues today, but i cant find anywhere on their site where you can get clues or anything. is it not up and running yet?

Wellmy guess is that it will start sometime after 8AM west coast time when there is someone there to post the information in the website. 3:08ammay be just a little to early. :D

That would be my take on it.... some things are automated, but Magellan did not say registration would open at 0001 hours -GMT .

Sounds like someon is getting anxious. :P

Peace,

Bear

It's magellan, what do you expect? I was considering purchasing one of their units in October of 04 and still haven't received anything other than the form reply that they received my mail and forwarding it to the appropriate department. Yes, I'll try to take part in the promotion but if I'm lucky enough to land a prize, it will be given to a newby cacher to possibly get them started out.

Edited by cudlecub

Hi you all. I'm still pretty much a newbie geocacher, but I tell you I had a BLAST playing last years contest. I was no closer than 280 miles to any of the caches, but trying to figure out the clues was lots of fun.

Still waiting for the site to open up. Come on first clue.

epaul

Thats exactly what they did last year. They recruited local cachers to hide the caches for them. It resulted in last year's contest running ALOT smoother.

Has this been confirmed?

I hope so considering the Ohio cache from the first year was placed in a park that had banned geocaching. It didn't do a lot for our discussions with the park board. We're still banned and they like to cite that cache as another reason why.

Hi,

Can someone post the clues, or how to access them...I logged in, and followed the directions, but only got to read the logs of other cachers, not the magellan clues...I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

nfa

If you signed up, logged in, and are able to read other participants logs you're probably as far as you can go right now. Above the hunters comments there should be (fictional) logs out of a travel journal. These apparently contain clue as to the location of the caches. It is my understanding that these logs will be amended to include more clues, including the final coordinates of the cache.

As with you all so far, I agree that the 2 posted seem to be SW US. Probably Arizona and San Diego. I'm in Missouri so I more than likely won't be in the hunt for these 2. Hoping for some closer by though!

Hi,

Can someone post the clues, or how to access them...I logged in, and followed the directions, but only got to read the logs of other cachers, not the magellan clues...I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

nfa

I'd send an email to Magellan's Webmaster.

That's weird. Earlier today I was able to read the journals. I use Opera, Version 8.

Now I can't get the journals to appear. :blink:

Here are some of the errors in their HTML code.

While sites/services like these help, these sites sometimes get confused.

*geek mode on* I've noticed this happens most when there is a large amount of Javascipt in the HTML code instead of in its own library/file (such as with this case). The Javascipt used here is for the menuing system and is a preloaded script used by Macromedia in both Flash (when making menus) or DreamWeaver (same reason). Dreamweaver does validate its code before it sends it up to a server, but that can be over ridden. *geek mode off * ;)

All in all, this SHOULD work on most browsers. I develop websites and test them myself using IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, and many others. It is early impossible to test them all and to test al the security setting variations for each. There are also firewall and proxy servers to contend with as well. It is a duanting task.

My only suggestion is to try a different broswer or try it from a different location. I've sent my list of browser and settings to the webmaster already and asked them if they would like me to test for them. I have yet to get a response back.

Peace,

Bear

Any ideas on how often to expect new clues and/or new adventures?

Wasn't involved in geocaching last year, and have not been able to find the info anywhere on the game pages.

TIA

Last year, it was a new clue daily.... 4 or five clues, building on each other with some "red herrings" thrown in to throw people off... until the weekend when the coordinates were actually posted. It worked last year, not sure that they would want to change it.

Peace,

Bear

Come on, Magellan! Bring one to Indianapolis, Indiana!

Hi,

Thanks,

nfa

email sent . . . :blink:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bear and Ting,

By logging out and logging back in again, I was able to view the journal entries, so Opera works just fine afterall.

Use another browser? Ain't possible. ;)

Thats exactly what they did last year. They recruited local cachers to hide the caches for them. It resulted in last year's contest running ALOT smoother.

Has this been confirmed?

I hope so considering the Ohio cache from the first year was placed in a park that had banned geocaching. It didn't do a lot for our discussions with the park board. We're still banned and they like to cite that cache as another reason why.

I find it funny that Magellan is still being judged on the mistakes from the first year they did the promotion. I think they learned quite a bit after that first year, which included recruiting local cachers to place the caches for the second year. I didn't hear of any complaints from last year's contest, so why does it matter what happened the first time around? Does Garmin give away free GPSrs? I didn't think so.

Has this been confirmed?

I find it funny that Magellan is still being judged on the mistakes from the first year they did the promotion. I think they learned quite a bit after that first year, which included recruiting local cachers to place the caches for the second year. I didn't hear of any complaints from last year's contest, so why does it matter what happened the first time around? Does Garmin give away free GPSrs? I didn't think so.

Considering the last time I corresponded with the park district in question a few months ago and they once again mentioned the 1st year Magellan cache, it's still a problem. I wrote to Magellan 4 times asking for some help with the situation. All I wanted was for them to send a letter to the park's BOD's explaining it was an oversight due to not being aware of local caching policy. Magellan never even replied to one of my letters.

They screwed up. They made it harder for all the cachers in my local community. And they've chosen not to take any accountability. But hey, some folks got some freebies so that must make it OK.

The Magellan contest is great! I don't care what anyone says. It totally introduced me to geocaching and sucked me into it last year even though it was too late to play in my area.

The first year I wasn't around for thier game because I never heard of geocaching, but I've heard terrible stories about it. Of course I can't believe those stories, because I hear terrible stories about last year, and they are not true. There were mixed up maps and mixed up clues and it was all part of the story. It was clearly done on purpose, because it was extreme... and totally made sense in the storyline as the MDA fought against Organization X.

The Magellan contest introduced me to geocaching... that's why I will always be MDAgent: Sworn to defeat Organization X. I just regret that they are not doing another Magellan Detective Agency story. I was all ready for it:(

Also, I find it impossible to believe that any company would ignore letters sent by customers. Every company I've ever worked in jumps on a customer letter like it was the only priority.

Who did you send it to? Phil, the mailroom guy?

:anibad: Believe it or not I may have spent too much time and thought on this game already, and there's no activity within probably a thousand miles of me.

I woke up at 4 this morning convinced I had the exact location of one of the caches, even though there had been nothing posted anywhere nearby! Apparently in my sleep I had fabricated logs, interpreted the clues, and narrowed down the location to within a very small area.

Of course not being willing to take any chances I had to get up and check the game page to make sure I was really dreaming. Man I hope the put one close so at least all this might be worthwhile!

:anibad: Believe it or not I may have spent too much time and thought on this game already, and there's no activity within probably a thousand miles of me.

I woke up at 4 this morning convinced I had the exact location of one of the caches, even though there had been nothing posted anywhere nearby! Apparently in my sleep I had fabricated logs, interpreted the clues, and narrowed down the location to within a very small area.

Of course not being willing to take any chances I had to get up and check the game page to make sure I was really dreaming. Man I hope the put one close so at least all this might be worthwhile!

If the third adventure is in Wisconsin, that is only about 600 miles. :P

Got for it and Be There.

Peace,

Bear

Has this been confirmed?

Considering the last time I corresponded with the park district in question a few months ago and they once again mentioned the 1st year Magellan cache, it's still a problem. I wrote to Magellan 4 times asking for some help with the situation. All I wanted was for them to send a letter to the park's BOD's explaining it was an oversight due to not being aware of local caching policy. Magellan never even replied to one of my letters.

They screwed up. They made it harder for all the cachers in my local community. And they've chosen not to take any accountability. But hey, some folks got some freebies so that must make it OK.

You could do this the smart way and tell the parks that's what happens when there are no guidelines. Then you can explain how the geocaching.com guidelines already prevent things like that from happening.

I agree however, that Magellan should get involved with setting the record straight with your parks department. Have you written to their PR department or just to the general contact information on their website?

Does Garmin give away free GPSrs? I didn't think so.

Why? Has someone said they prefer Garmin because of how Magellan arranges their promotion?

No, I'm saying that rather than bash Magellan for making a few mistakes in their contest (2 years ago at that), at least they are giving away prizes, unlike their competitor.

:P Believe it or not I may have spent too much time and thought on this game already, and there's no activity within probably a thousand miles of me.

Funny, last year I lived in Albuquerque, well within 1000 miles of you, and there was a Magellan cache there. There was another in Denver, CO which is even closer to you. I think there was one in Chicago. Are we getting warm yet? Could there have been one in St. Louis or Kansas City? :anibad:

Dude, you're an addict, like me :P

Did they have a cache in your area last year?

I don't really know if there were any caches in my area last year. I've only been into caching about 3 months now, but am watching this promotion with great interest. Between this and the Jeep promotion it could be a very fun summer. Not to say that it wouldn't be without them.

Interesting to see the REI connection. I'm only about 6 blocks from Bass Pro Shops headquarters.....too bad they didn't pick up the sponsorship!

I don't really know if there were any caches in my area last year. I've only been into caching about 3 months now, but am watching this promotion with great interest. Between this and the Jeep promotion it could be a very fun summer. Not to say that it wouldn't be without them.

Interesting to see the REI connection. I'm only about 6 blocks from Bass Pro Shops headquarters.....too bad they didn't pick up the sponsorship!

Someone suggested that they would be doing caches wherever there is an REI store. Do you have an REI near you? I'm very interested in figuring out where all the caches will be. I'm in Cali - so I know there will be caches here. We have REI all over the place.

The first cache was in San Diego - I considered making the drive - but it's a touch far from Nor-Cal.

Week 1 is over and things went smoothly, perhaps a surprise to some who can't forget two years ago. The overlapping storyline among adventures is quite creative and the clues have been helpful to narrow the search area without giving away the exact site, though their ambiguity can be frustrating. The FTF prizes (card vouchers for GPSr or item of equal value trade-ins) and the runners-up swag seem to be eliciting far more compliments than complaints.

Adventure Areas so far:

Adventure #1: Phoenix, AZ

Adventure #2: San Diego, CA

Adventure #3: Milwaukee (actually closer to Waukesha), WI

If the current schedule is maintained, Adventures #4 and #5 should begin today (Monday) and #6 should start tomorrow (Tuesday).

Hope they don't decide that today is a holiday from the adventures, though I do hope everyone remembers to honor the memory of those who serve, past and present.

Hope they don't decide that today is a holiday from the adventures, though I do hope everyone remembers to honor the memory of those who serve, past and present.

A plane crashes on the border between the US and Canada. Where do you bury the survivors?