Magellan Contest

Hydnckr

The Magellan website posted a news release today announcing a worldwide ad campaign called "Be There"

I quote from the release "...and promotions like the annual summer geocaching contest, which will also bear the theme “Be There.”

So now we know there will indeed be a contest (even tho we assumed so)

wow, a new Magellan contest AND new Jeep TBs, this summer's gonna almost be like heaven. :lol:

Happy Hunting :huh:

That contest last year continued my streak in contests. I almost never win anything, and when I do, it is sub-mediocre. Once I tried to win an arcade machine (odds: 100,000:1) and instead won second prize - a T-shirt (odds: 10,000:1). You'd think that with 10,000:1 odds, I'd get something more than a T-shirt.

Last year in the Magellan contest I got one of those coupons and sent it in. I managed a bumper sticker, cheap and uncomfortable sunglasses, a little flashlight, and a book about camping sites across the country, which is helpful seeing that I rarely camp... :huh:

At least they try...

In last year's contest I manged to get:

a bumper sticker

dorky looking sunglasses

tenting directory

cheap binoculars

(2) 3-way lights

All I had to do was spend the better part of 3 days driving all over creation chasing theories as to where the cache was hidden.

In last year's contest I manged to get:

a bumper sticker

dorky looking sunglasses

tenting directory

cheap binoculars

(2) 3-way lights

All I had to do was spend the better part of 3 days driving all over creation chasing theories as to where the cache was hidden.

I totally forgot about the cheap binoculars! They are useful if you need to see something across a wide expanse - say your living room.

:huh:

Last year in the Magellan contest I got one of those coupons and sent it in.  I managed a bumper sticker, cheap and uncomfortable sunglasses, a little flashlight, and a book about camping sites across the country, which is helpful seeing that I rarely camp... :huh:
I totally forgot about the cheap binoculars!  They are useful if you need to see something across a wide expanse - say your living room.

Ahhh...complaining about stuff you got for free. That shows character :lol:

If you knew a little more about the history behind this marketing event is been one of the most poorly run. The first year was a disaster, coordinates were wrong(in one instance it brought people to a private residence), the wrong datum was used, coordinates were missing numbers, caches were lost(no really, they hid it and then forgot where they put it), a cache was hidden at National Park, final coordinates were released late at night(people would go looking for them in the dark placing them at risk of being charged with trespassing or getting hurt), and those are just the highlights. I no doubt that there was no one from Magellan who actually geocached, based on a phone call with the VP of Marketing.

Not sure about last year, decieded it just wasn't worth the hassle.

Edited by magellan315
Last year in the Magellan contest I got one of those coupons and sent it in.  I managed a bumper sticker, cheap and uncomfortable sunglasses, a little flashlight, and a book about camping sites across the country, which is helpful seeing that I rarely camp... :huh:
I totally forgot about the cheap binoculars!  They are useful if you need to see something across a wide expanse - say your living room.

Ahhh...complaining about stuff you got for free. That shows character :lol:

Free in terms of actual money - not free in terms of effort and expectations.

To be fair, when the contest started last summer, I was semi-hopeful that it would be somewhat interesting. This was in spite of the fact that I had heard (actually read) nothing but bad things about the previous year's contest. Overall, I think it's a good idea, but it just needed the execution refined.

Now that they are working on the execution and that my expectations for the prizes are lower, I may just enjoy being out there trying to get some fancy binoculars again this summer.

The Magellan website posted a news release today announcing a worldwide ad campaign called "Be There"

I quote from the release "...and promotions like the annual summer geocaching contest, which will also bear the theme “Be There.”

So now we know there will indeed be a contest (even tho we assumed so)

wow, a new Magellan contest AND new Jeep TBs, this summer's gonna almost be like heaven.  :blink: 

Happy Hunting  <_<

Never mind.

Edited by Team cotati697

I think it would help if they actually talked to cachers instead of just recruiting a few once a year to hide a cache. Then maybe they'd be adding more Geocaching friendly features to all their units. I still cannot believe that their explorist series do not have pc ports until you get up to the 400 series. (and those are not even available yet)

Well, gee. That article doesn't give much information. I'm new to geocaching - since last year's Magellan game - but I don't understand why everyone is so down on it.

Neither do I. Last year's contest seemed to be a big hit, and they even used actual geocachers to place the caches. Why is everyone so stuck on how they did the first year? :laughing:

With the "new" 400, 500, and 600 models, I'm sure the first-finder prizes will be better than last year (the eXplorist 200).

That's interesting, a worldwide campaign that is sheduled only in North America :rolleyes: I'm just wondering when will it be scheduled in other parts of the World.

LOL - I didn't catch that!!! - but this article isn't really about the geocaching game. It doesn't say when it's going to start, or where, or anything really.

That's interesting, a worldwide campaign that is sheduled only in North America :rolleyes: I'm just wondering when will it be scheduled in other parts of the World.

So they've released the news that they have so far. Of course North America is mentioned, that's where we have to most geocachers. Since they've said it's going to be "global", don't you think they'll announce other countries when they have that information available? Maybe they don't have any European volunteers yet.

Last year in the Magellan contest I got one of those coupons and sent it in.  I managed a bumper sticker, cheap and uncomfortable sunglasses, a little flashlight, and a book about camping sites across the country, which is helpful seeing that I rarely camp... :rolleyes:

Ahhh...complaining about stuff you got for free. That shows character :(

Free in terms of actual money - not free in terms of effort and expectations.

To be fair, when the contest started last summer, I was semi-hopeful that it would be somewhat interesting. This was in spite of the fact that I had heard (actually read) nothing but bad things about the previous year's contest. Overall, I think it's a good idea, but it just needed the execution refined.

Now that they are working on the execution and that my expectations for the prizes are lower, I may just enjoy being out there trying to get some fancy binoculars again this summer.

Were last year's cache trinkets any worse than you'd find in a regular cache? Face it, after the FTF I don't expect to find expensive items. I don't even expect the FTF prizes to be all that good, maybe $5-10.

With the Magellan caches last year, they gave out $150 GPSrs. Based on them giving out the eXplorist 200 last year (the middle of the three new GPSrs) they'll probably give out the eXplorist 500 this year (the middle of the three new GPSrs). According to their website, they are worth over $300. When was the last time you found a regular geocache with a $300 FTF prize in it? (ok, so there's a voucher for one, same thing). The "consolation prizes" are regular cache swag, but with Magellan's name on it.

The "spend(ing) the better part of 3 days driving all over creation chasing theories" is the part the earns you a chance to win a $300 GPS. You have better odds at winning with Magellan than most other promotions. I can't remember ever winning more than $10 worth of food from McDonald's, and I even had to buy something for the chance!

The "spend(ing) the better part of 3 days driving all over creation chasing theories" is the part the earns you a chance to win a $300 GPS. You have better odds at winning with Magellan than most other promotions. I can't remember ever winning more than $10 worth of food from McDonald's, and I even had to buy something for the chance![/color]

Hey, the spending 3 days part wasn't my statement - it was a quote from someone else.

I didn't spend three days looking for it - I didn't even know about the promotion until after the Pittsburgh cache had a FTF. I made it just in time to dig up the last of the "cheap binoculars" coupons. Of course the coupon didn't say "cheap binoculars coupon" - it said "consolation prize coupon" ...or something to that effect.

All I was saying is that it seems that whenever I win something, the something isn't all that good. :rolleyes:

The stuff I won wasn't any better or worse than what is in every other cache - but every other cache isn't part of a contest either. Anyway, check out the other parts of my posts that say that I LIKE that they have the contest. I can't wait to see what stuff I might get for free this year after I miss the Explorist 500 giveaway!

:(

Magellan is owned by Thales navigation, an international compnay. Perhaps they are planning on non-US caches. Would be kewl to find one while on vacation. :(

Bear

That's interesting, a worldwide campaign that is sheduled only in North America :( I'm just wondering when will it be scheduled in other parts of the World.

Magellan is owned by Thales navigation, an international compnay. Perhaps they are planning on non-US caches. Would be kewl to find one while on vacation. ;)

Bear

Does this mean I need to check the Thales website in addition to Magellan's?

Maybe not, my only international travel this summer will be to the Great White North :rolleyes:

I participated in last years contest and so I went back to the site to get the dates.

The first mission's coordinates were released on June 24, 2004 and coords for the last case were released on August 23, 2004/

There were a total of 31 missions.

So I'd expect something similar this summer.

:lol:

I've been anxiously checking the MagellanGPS.com site and watching news.google.com for any press releases, but still nothing. I've even emailed Thales and Bear Advertising, but got no reply from either. I can't wait for this contest to start this year!

Tim

Thales (and Magellangps.com) I knew about... what is this Bear advertising? You would think with a handle like ours, I'd have heard about it.

Peace,

Bear

I've been anxiously checking the MagellanGPS.com site and watching news.google.com for any press releases, but still nothing.  I've even emailed Thales and Bear Advertising, but got no reply from either.  I can't wait for this contest to start this year!

Tim

Look Harder :D:D

This press release is old. And it doesn't give any dates or details. And there's no link to register for the game.

That's the stuff I'm looking for.

Bear and Ting,

How good is your information? And what aren't you telling us?

I spoke with the guy that was coordinating the Magellan game, and he reiterated the following:

1) there will be approximately 30 caches worldwide

2) the clues will be given out throughout the week with the coordinates posted on the weekend

3) the contest will be started earlier than last years (watch towards the end of this month)

4) he wouldnt' say exactly where it would start, but hinted at the southwest and north central

Peace,

Bear and Ting

what type of certificates?

Is it a golden ticket?

In each cache, there is usually a single grand prize certificate which can be redeemed for high end prizes such as GPS units, camping gear and trips. There are also several consolation prize certificates for prizes such as water bottles, sunglasses, flashlights, bumper stickers etc etc.

I've been anxiously checking the MagellanGPS.com site and watching news.google.com for any press releases, but still nothing.  I've even emailed Thales and Bear Advertising, but got no reply from either.  I can't wait for this contest to start this year!

Tim

Look Harder :D:D

I meant anything other than the release announcing the contest - give me specifics!!! LOL :D

That's interesting, a worldwide campaign that is sheduled only in North America :antenna: I'm just wondering when will it be scheduled in other parts of the World.

Now we know what a woldwide concept means to Magellan - USA and Germany. I wonder what are the rest of 191 countries.

That's interesting, a worldwide campaign that is sheduled only in North America :antenna: I'm just wondering when will it be scheduled in other parts of the World.

Sure. Just like the winners of the Super Bowl and World Series are world champions! :santa:

And didja ever notice that the winner of the Miss Universe contest is always from Earth? I think the contest is rigged. :o