Garmin Ique M5

I have been reviewing the features offered by this unit for a possible purchase and it seems truly impressive. How effective do you think that this unit would be at creating a totally paperless Geocaching outfit? What do you see as the most critical compromises to it's PDA and/or GPSr capabilities, if any? Both positive and negative feedback would be most appreciated. Thank you.

There are several items that I like to see when using a PDA (PocketPC) when caching. Here are some of my experiences:

1. The Garmin M5 does support the NMEA protocol. What does this mean? You can run third party software. This will augment your caching experience by allowing you to run programs that are specific to caching thus moving you closer to paperless.

2. Screen in sunlight - I have several PDA from the MIO 168 to the ipaq 5455. The MIO screen looks very good indoors or in a car with very good contrast. However, in sunlight, it is harder to read. The ipaq uses a different screen technology where the contrast is not very good (colors look more washed out) but you can read it in direct sunlight.

3. Integrated GPS - Having an integrated GPS with the PDA is very convenient. There are no wires or other devices to worry about. Big plus.

4. Ruggedness – PDA’s are fragile animals. Dropping one can end its life. There are manufactures that make hard cases for these devices and it is recommended to use them.

5. Software is very important for finding and managing a cache. There are lots of different choices of software.

Garmin built in software – review

BeeLineGPS (discussion)- Manages caches, reads GPX files, make the PDA act very much like a handheld GPS receiver. Works very well for finding caches.

GPSTuner– Downloads GPX files, has nice graphics presentation, uses scanned maps

Vito Navigator (review)

Mapopolis– Very good street level mapping software http://www.mapopolis.com/

The list goes on... :lol:

PDA Hard Cases

That's my $0.02

:huh:

I purchased BeeLine GPS a few weeks ago. I am extremely impressed by this program and its functionality. The programmers are always available for questions and suggestions. In fact, if you have a good suggestion and they can incorporate it, you will see that change within a week. It's worth the $30!

It just reviwed on Cnet.com recently. As a PDA it's got bluetooth but not WiFi so you can't log in the field should you be lucky enough to be in a Hot spot. They review didn't say much about the GoTo function but if it's got a pointer you could use it well enough for a GPS. You need to confirm that though. They said it had some of the best auto routing they have ever seen implemented but Garmin alwasy did a good job.

The PDA is pricey though for a mid range PDA with a GPS attached. Don't drop it, it wil break. There area few things missing from what you might be wondering about but that's what I do know about.

the main disadvantage is the battery life. I can take my meridian color out on several outings and roadtrips before having to replace the AA Nimh's. The battery life is a lot shorter on the iques. THis is the only major complaint I've ever seen regarding the device, and is the sole reason I don't own a pda/gps combo (and I see this complaint a lot).

It has numerous advantages though. It uses Palm's os5 and basic software, so it is a good pda. The gps program(s) work with the contacts list, so you can easily navigate to the home of someone in your address book - no re-entering of the address needed. also, no using arrow keys to make your way through a keyboard if you do need to enter an address - just hit the letters with the stylus. 3rd party software is available, meaning you can usually find something that works the way YOU want it to with the features you want. If I don't like the way my standalone gps does something, I'm stuck with how that feature works.

if you get one, do get a hard case for it. The buttons on palm's are notorious for getting hit in pockets/purses/etc leading to many complaints of people taking out their palm only to learn that they are dead and the memory is erased. (the front app buttons on palm's turn the device on and go to that program--probably the same for the ique..so it could get turned on and be running in your pocket unknown to you for several hours; since palm's run on ram (faster, no moving hd), exausting the battery clears out all your info). even with auto-off, it may be turned on/hit enough times to still exhaust the battery.

also--be sure to protect it from the elements--it won't be as hardy and waterproof as standalone gps's.

Edited by ritzvin

I just bought the M5 and have had it for almost a week and I love it. My only real complaints are that:

1) Windows is as Windows does. Expect occasional lock ups or oddities (my menus were jumbled all up!), but a hard reset (by poking into the little hole that says "reset") so far has cleared all this up.

2) You can't enter in locations by lattitude/longitude - it has to be by an address. This sucks for people like me that are uber n00bs to geocaching and are bad at reading a map for directions to a cache (why do you think I bought a GPS?). I am ever so slowly trying to find a way around this so that I can locate and route to a Cache using Garmin's map software (if anyone can help me here, I'd be very grateful).

It is expensive, but honestly, I wouldn't settle for anything less powerful (although keep in mind that I do have a tendency to always buy the latest and greatest..). Further, I've found the unit available for as low as $500-something. I bought mine from a company called Compuplus. I got the unit, leather case, 1gb SD Ultra II memory, 3 year extended warranty, extra stylus's and 2 day shipping for $779. I lucked out since my tax return came the same month I got an extra paycheck.

If there is anything you want to know about this specific unit - just let me know, I use it all day, every day ;)

I've had an M5 for about a month. It is excellent. An excellent PDA (compared with the two Palm-based devices I've3 previously owned) and an excellent GPSr (though I've never owned any other GPSr).

I use GPXsonar to manage my GPX files and my field notes. I carry no paper with me when geocaching. I hadn't heard of Beeline 'til I saw this thread. I will investigate.

I can combine it with my Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone to log finds in real-time. I have a Sandisk 256MB wifi SD card on order.

Whilst the screen is less readable in bright sunlight, it *is* readable.

Like Kymus, I get lock-ups from time, and I resolve them by reseting the device by poking the pointer tip into the Reset hole.

I have the supplied cradle in my car, together with its connection to the cigar lighter. Thus, when I arrive in the vincinity of a geocache, it is always fully charged. Battery life is therefore not an issue for me. Also in the box is a desktop cradle with charging cable and USB connection, plus an extra cable-connector for charging direct from a power supply without the cradle (e.g. in a hotel room whilst on vacation).

It is possible to enter latitude/longitude values. You can do it in the PC-based Mapsource software and then download the waypoint; Or you can do it directly on the M5. To do it on the M5:

1) In QueMap, tap the map (at any location)

2) On the top toolbar, tap the (i) tool

3) On the resulting Location Information screen, tap "Add to My Locations" (at the bottom of the screen)

4) On the resulting screen, enter a name, change the icon, select categories, and enter a comment, then tap Menu (at the bottom of the screen)

5) From the menu, select Change Location -> Use Map

6) On the resulting map screen, tap Edit Coordinates (at the bottom of the screen)

7) On the resulting screen, enter your desired coordinates (you may need to tap the keyboard icon at the bottom of the screen)

8) Having entered your coordinates, tap OK (at the top-right of the screen)

9) Upon returning to the screen on which you entered a name, etc., tap OK (at top-right). You have now created a new My Locations waypoint item :-)

10) Upon returning to the Location Information screen, tap OK (at top-right)

It's not in-your-face, simple and obvious, but it's not too bad either. If I'm at home, I do it on my PC with Mapsource and download the new waypoint (Mapsource waypoints = M5 My Locations).

All-in-all, recommended....

-Andy

I've found that the MapSource map on the M5 simply can not get to the level of detail that it can on the MapSource for the PC. What I mean, is this:

I entered in the lat/long in MapSource, sent it to the M5, and then looked at the location on the M5 and it looks much different. On the PC, there is atleast 2 or 3 inches of space between the highway and the cache location. On the M5, there is next to no space inbetween (and this is at .2mi detail). I tried to set it to pedestrian mode, and I made sure to tell it to show the location on the map, not the road - but this still doesn't help much given the very small area here. For example:

On the PC it will look like this:

( | is the Hwy, || is a river, and * is the cache)

|-----------||

|----*-----||

|-----------||

|-----------||

and on the iQue it will look like this:

|--||

|*||

|--||

So even when I am a considerable ways away, the pointer will show me at/near/on the cache location. I was thinking about trying to use the QueGPS screen to direct me once I'm that close since it will displace the lat/long.

Can any of you iQue users help me out with this dilema?

EDIT: I realised that I could actually zoom in more to a total of 120ft - which made a BIG difference on the map. I'll have to test this out now - but in the mean-time, I'm still going to experiment with software; I'm leaning heavily towards GPS Tuner

Edited by Kymus
It's not in-your-face, simple and obvious, but it's not too bad either. If I'm at home, I do it on my PC with Mapsource and download the new waypoint (Mapsource waypoints = M5 My Locations).

All-in-all, recommended....

-Andy

Thanks for that explanation! That will make it much easier to do random caches on the go. I was hoping there was a way to do that through the iQue without the use of a PC.

It's not perfect, but it could be far, far worse. Aside from my M5, i also own a cell phone (Sony Ericsson z600) that has an lcd screen and it looks teeeeerrible in daylight - squinting and close-ups will barely save you. In comparison to my cell phone, it's great. But to give a better description, I'd say it's like having the backlight reduced by up to 50%. It's not perfect, but you can still see things pretty well, and it's certainly not bad enough to complain about.

I agree. I've fallen down a couple of times and the ugly neoprene cover on my small Gamin eTrex Vista kept it from getting scratched. I also dropped it face down on a tile floor . . . ;) and it came away unscathed.

My $50.00 Palm M500 does the job in the field just fine. On my budget, that is all the money I need to risk for my new hobby/sport/activity/obsession. :D

I'd say the chief issue is durability. As you know, a GPS gets bounced around and exposed to the elements while geocaching. They are built to take it. The iQue is not. That's a lot of money to risk ruining in a sudden rainstorm or falling onto rocks.

That's what the Otterbox armour is for. It's crush proof, water-proof, and virtually indestructable.

Just posted on the other thread on this started by CacheCows...and it appears that everything I touched on has been touched on here.

I think if you've got the $90 for the Otter Box and some $$ for an SD card, after spending the $$$ for the M5...you will find that you will LOVE IT! for caching. I do.

Twofity

With regard to my notes in an earlier message about editing coordinates, i.e. entering specific long/lat, please note that the newly released version of the iQue M5 software (V2.50, http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.j...t=010-00344-00) has moved the Edit Coordinates option:

Moved the 'Edit Coordinates' option from the edit map command bar to the My Location details 'Change Location' sub-menu. Switching between 'Use Map' and 'Edit Coordinates' modes in the edit map is not allowed.