(Not quite as newbie as I was) suggestion

jarja_grl and G-man

I don't pretend to have the experience of you long term geoaddicts, but I do have an observation from my few experiences. Twice I've gone on caches where the hint was something along the lines of: Near a fallen pine tree.....This is Georgia....the whole dang state is next to a fallen pine tree! Seriously, every single stand of trees has fallen pines...hundreds of them!!

So, I guess my question is, shouldn't hints be somewhat more specific than that? I don't want a photo or an "X" marks the spot or anything like that, but dang!...a fallen pine???

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter, cause next weekend will find me back out in the woods poking around some fallen pines.

For tonight, I think I'll just go scratch my newest ant bites.

Hey fellow cacher looking for clues. I hear yah. After looking for the closest cache to me TWICE I am perplexed. The hint here is "big rock next to little rock". Cheese and crackers there everywhere!

I even emailed a cacher who found it recently and asked for another clue. Now, this thread gives me an idea of contacting the hider and buttering him up.

Either way I'm going back with fresh troops! (and a new gps,yeahicon_smile.gif

~This is the place~

Well....today, the general clue was just that: too bloody general. Fortunately there was a more sapecific one ("From the sewer drain cover, go 30 feet @ 130 degrees") which caused us to belive that the cache had been removed/stolen/disturbed. There was a stake at that point with a beer can atop it.

"...it's too soon to tell..."

quote:
Originally posted by walkietalkie:

Cheese and crackers there everywhere!

What, just laying there on the ground? Did you eat some?

Chasbeau2, I know the cache you're talking about (Lawrenceville Cache) and I'm planning on checking it out for Solar, so I'll let you know what I find too. It's not mine, but I was the most recent finder and it's not too far from my house.

Jarja_grl, don't give up. A bad clue can be a pain in the butt I know, but it makes it that much sweeter when you do find it. icon_smile.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------

"A noble spirit embiggins the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

thanks Mushtang. It is the Lawrenceville cache and hopefully it is still there and we just missed it, but I'm afraid that it may be stolen. I'm nothing if not stubburn though, so if you come back and say it's still there, I'll be right back out there til it's found.

But the Lawrenceville Cache isn't the only one with 'near a fallen pine' as a clue and it did have additional helps available. My observation was based on more than one cache.

I also never want to say anything here that slams someone who took the time to hide and maintain a cache, so I'm just offering my comments by way of hopefully improving the hint-i-ness of the hints icon_biggrin.gif

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm guessing that the owner of the Lawrenceville Cache doesn't maintain it. Solar emailed him and hasn't heard anything after a few weeks. There have been 3 no finds and no note from the owner suggesting that he'll check on it.

If you want to try a fun and tricky cache, by a cacher that pays attention to his hides, try the Gwinnett County Fairgrounds Micro. icon_smile.gif

It can be a little tricky, so if you have a problem email me about it. I'm also very willing to give clues. I'd rather help someone enjoy caching than keep them frustrated because they're so close.

Maybe after you get a few more finds under your belt you'll try hiding one. We need more out in Gwinnett County. icon_smile.gif

next to a fallen pine tree!

It's the one 5 paces just North of the one with 73 million, 368 thousand, 203 green needles and 2 million, 178 thousand, 748 brown needles..... unless that dadgum mocking bird is building another nest.............

"For the captain had quitted the long drawn strife

And in far Simoree had taken a wife." ( R. Kipling)

now, see, I'm just the opposite. I hate specific clues. I like them to be more mind-boggling--no need to say "in a stump next to the creek". a favorite recently was "look for an out of place rock" (Crash's Lunchtime Cache #4). The cache was located near/under/by a small foot bridge over a water drainage ditch that was filled with rocks. But once the cache was found, it was dead on. Just not SPECIFIC as to exactly where to look. Makes you think, which adds to the fun of the search.

~robert

Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache.

I suggest using the [Hint:] and [spoiler:] designations in your hint.

I know cachers who aways decrypt, even before going!, I never decrypt unless I'm stumped, in which case an ambiguous hint is useless as I've already canvassed the area!

A hint that makes sense only afterward is just irritating (like someone laughing at your frustration)

A good first hint should eliminate 50-75% of the search area in my mind, the spoiler should pretty much give it away as at that point the hunters are ready to leave.

But again, others decrypt before going! Ick!

Either way, enjoy,

Randy