Geoluau II

Shop99er

Hi everyone. Well, it happened as I was afraid it would. TPTB have decided we needed to do a system upgrade RIGHT NOW so I won't be able to make it up. Hope to meet some if you folks another time.

Gee Howard, I was looking forward to seeing you in your Kilts. But that's the way the old ball bounces or as you say in Texas don't go on a cattle drive barefooted.

I will assist Belleterre in maintaining the message board. Maybe next year. Dick, W7WT

Speaking of coming from the Eastside, remember that the Hood Canal Bridge is going to be closed this weekend, so don't come across from Keystone to Port Townsend.

That might look attractive because of all the extra sailings this weekend, but they are extra for a reason.

/Court ordered PSA

<sniff>

:mad:

I would like to request at least one photo of the manly men in attendance wearing their kilts.

You know, at a really high resolution.

And delivered directly to my inbox.

Pretty. Please.

-=-

michelle

What if we have a few unmanly men in their kilts? I will be in that group but will not be wearing kilts. For a price we will send you a picture of Bruce, kneeling down measuring distance and bearing during the GPS Contest.

Dick, W7WT

<sniff>

<_<

I would like to request at least one photo of the manly men in attendance wearing their kilts.

Pretty.  Please.

-=-

michelle

Does that mean you're not going to come?

~TotemLake quietly bites his tongue to keep from using the obvious line...~

<sniff>

:D

Pretty.  Please.

-=-

michelle

Does that mean you're not going to come?

~TotemLake quietly bites his tongue to keep from using the obvious line...~

You've been a bit of a pip lately, haven't you?

-=-

michelle

*ahem*....

If I may break into the kilt chat.... I just want to make an announcement.

LUAU GEOCOIN ALERT!!!

We will have 2005 GeoLuau coins this year!!! It was touch and go for a while and we weren't sure that we could make the deadline so we kept our mouth shut about it. They are being delivered on Friday the 12th. It's cutting it close and we're still keeping our fingers crossed that they actually arrive at our door in time for the luau.

So, here are the rules and information:

- This is a run of 100 coins. When they're gone they're gone.

- It's a 1.5 inch brass 3-D coin with Manulani (see last year's luau) on one side and a hibiscus on the other.

- They will be for sale at $7 a coin at the luau ONLY

- Each caching family is allowed only one coin for purchase. (This means if 10 people cache under one name it's one coin. If 10 people cache in a pack but each have their own caching name it's still one coin.)

- We reserve the right to limit or refuse sales.

- You will be asked to log in your caching family name(s) (so we can keep track of who's bought and who hasn't) when you purchase your coin

- Cash only sales. No checks, credit cards, marbles or chalk.

- If there are any left over after the luau they will go on sale to the general public

- They will be offered up on a first come, first served basis on the forums

- The cost after the luau will be $7 per coin plus $1.15 for postage and Delivery Confirmation

-We don't know when we'll be offering the coins to the general public but it will be before the end of the year. Might be in August. Might be in October.

Alright, I think I've about covered all the whys and wherefores.

Oh yeah, one last thing. If the UPS driver suffers a painful aneurysm on his way to deliver the coins on Friday and they don't make it to the luau....fingers crossed, spitting 3 times, crossing self, knocking wood...... we will have a list for people attending to sign up on for their coin. When they do come in we'll either arrange a meeting in a park to pass out and pay for the coins or we'll arrange mailing them to you.

LUAU GEOCOIN ALERT!!!

We will have 2005 GeoLuau coins this year...

- This is a run of 100 coins...

OK, do you even know how many you have?

:blink::D:blink:

Let me use my Druid Powers to help decypher this... :rolleyes:

Re-arranging the words of Shop99er to come up with:

We will have coins this year at GeoLuau 2005...

...This is a run of 100 coins...

Hope that helps... :P

Tomorrow is the big day. The crew will meet today for a dry run and everything will be ready for you at 1100 for the first session on Saturday. Just a word of caution. I noticed the nets out in the bay so I assume the salmon are running. Be sure that your kids or dogs don't harass the salmon. They were nice enough to give us permisson to use their area for the contest.

Should you forget your entry prize. we will allow you to test out your GPS. You will be given a ribbon on a nail like we used at the Spring Fling. We will measure the distance and bearing but it will not be recorded or displayed on the message board. We will of course give you the results, you will just miss out on getting a great prize. While the chaplain is on shore leave, I will be available to punch your TS card. Dick, W7WT

OK, you got dogs allowed, but what about the beer?

You did try, right?

I mean really, what's more fun the beer and kilts?

We do have special permission to have dogs in this park. We have that in writing. Like Dick said...the dogs and kids need to behave themselves around the salmon ponds and just in general.

Beer is still a no but what you do in your cooler and your coozie is your business.

If Criminal is going to wear a kilt I'm gonna get an extra roll of film!!!

And as with all of our party/events.... Hawaiian attire and kilts are appreciated. Underwear is always optional. Posting incriminating photos is mandatory!

COIN UPDATE

Just checked with the UPS delivery system and the coin went out of the Bremerton facility at 4:30 this AM. As far as I know it's on the truck and should be in our hands today.

To buy the coins at the luau look for Mark. He'll be the guy in the yellow Hawaiian shirt that looks exactly like the little one on the left.

Since we don't have a photo of the actual coin to show you I'll post the proof from the factory. It's a simple black and white drawing but it will be a 3-D brass coin.

2005%20proof.jpg

ALOHA YA ALL

Hey Shop99er -

Just stumbled across this while I was about to post in another thread "up here".

If there are any extras, PLEASE let me know - I'll gladly pay for one (although I doubt there will be left-overs).

Hula Bum (wife) would love the Hibiscus on the coin (as would I).

Mahalo - and enjoy the luau.

(have some kalua pork for us ;) )

We do have special permission to have dogs in this park. We have that in writing.  Like Dick said...the dogs and kids need to behave themselves around the salmon ponds and just in general.

Beer is still a no but what you do in your cooler and your coozie is your business.

And as with all of our party/events.... Hawaiian attire and kilts are appreciated. Underwear is always optional.  Posting incriminating photos is mandatory!

I almost posted bad things.

I need to be medicated.

:lol:

-=-

michelle

We do have special permission to have dogs in this park. We have that in writing.  Like Dick said...the dogs and kids need to behave themselves around the salmon ponds and just in general.

And as with all of our party/events.... Hawaiian attire and kilts are appreciated. Underwear is always optional.  Posting incriminating photos is mandatory!

I almost posted bad things.

I need to be medicated.

:lol:

-=-

michelle

Go ahead and say it...I'm sure most of us were thinking along very similar lines anyway... :P:P

Every thing is set for the first session. Using a amplified antenna at 15 ft. Bruce and Rick were able to get All Ds and #47 the WAAS satellite. Took a long time but they were able to get two accurates GZs. One for the Magellan site and one for the Garmin site. Both the Garmin 76C and the Magellan indicated the same coordinates. We will be using the same coordinates for both sessions and ask that you change sites if you are going to do both. Since you will be using a clean playing field (no flags when you start) we think you would find it more interesting to do the other site. We could not tell any advantage in one over the other. CU at the Luau. Dick, W7WT BTW don't forget to bring your entry prize

There are HOT electric fences on the creek side of the rearing ponds. Not a good spot for your dog to MARK or your child to touch. They are just a few inches off the ground. You can avoid them by going just a little to the right around a structure when you go over the bridge and walk down the road to the contest site.

Edited by W7WT

For you kilt afficianados (or however you spell that) I will be sporting one of Mrs. Shop99er's Off Kilter Hawaiian kilts. If you beg and plead, you may be able to order one from her! Of 7 kilts this is the only 1 I brought on this trip. Not that I'm much of a model but I do love kilts! Now that I stop and think about it, a Celtic Hawaiian is an interesting concept. Oh well. Whatever floats yer boat! See ya tomorrow!

Sorry - I was accidentally logged in under Shop99er's account - this was really Semper Questio (Shop99er is my brother and I am using his computer).

Edited by Shop99er

The GeoLuau is over at least for me, probably still going strong at the park. I want to thank Mark and Deb for planning and putting on this great event. Special thanks go to the GPS Contest Crew - Ajetpilot, Belleterre, Geodiver, Steve of the 4 Grays, and Howard, Mark's little brother who stepped in and did an excellent job on the message board and plotting board. Their execution of my little plan made me look good. According to my count 49 registered contesters planted they little pink or red flag. We also had a few that just wanted to check out their GPSs. We measured those but did not put them in the official log book. If you have any suggestions for future contests please either e-mail me or post them here. Thanks to all. Dick, W7WT

What a great time it was today!!!

Thanks to all the planning committee for their hard work!!!

Thanks to everyone that brought the great food!!!

It was great to meet so many new people and put faces to names!!!

C-Gal, you missed out...FOUR men in kilts!!! :P

See you all again soon.

Alright, many thanks need to go around for making this a spectacular event. As near as we can tell about 100 people showed up throughout the day but not everyone logged into the cache (yes there was an official cache box!)so an exact count was impossible.

Those specifically we need to thank are:

:) -Hawk- and Semper Questio for becoming the decorating committee and making the place look tropically festive.

:D W7WT, Belleterre, The4Grays (all of you, not just Steve), AJetPilot and GeoDiver for running a great GPS game. It was so professional that I can hardly believe it was associated in any way to us!

:D Wander Lost for running a safe pinata bash for the kids

:) Podilian Pods for building a 4 alarm marshmallow toast fire

:D MicroBusGeeks for the juggling entertainment as well as Elkhntingfool and Misguided One for additional juggling entertainment.

:D And thanks to all of you who brought food and traveled from far and wide to attend. We appreciate the effort.

And I know, I know...we didn't make announcements for the Hawaiian attire or coconut weight contest. It just got way to busy and hectic at the end but here's who won:

B) W7WT - Best Hawaiian shirt male

B) Lady Hawk (-Hawk-'s tolerant Mrs.) Best Hawaiian shirt female

B) Lost One - Best Hawaiian shirt AND orange Mohawk - Boy

B) Mama Hen's daughter - Best Hawaiian dress - Girl

The guess the coconut weight was won by:

:) -Hawk- for the adults

:D Pug Dragon for the kids

The weight was 4 pounds 15 ounces by the way. Later on in the evening the coconuts were sacraficed by whacking them with rocks. Oh the carnage!

Now, yes, there will be a luau 3 next year. Keep your eyes peeled for it around the same time in August.

The next big event will be the Halloween party on October 22nd. We'll see you all there! :rolleyes: