Geoluau II

Shop99er

Congrats to the Hosts of Geoluau II on their 800 th find. At the rate they are going expect them to be celebrating the 900 find at the Luau. BTW Mark would you like to win back the $5 you lost to me because the Boss's 60C beat out your Maggy. This time you will be able to participate in a site set by a Magellan Platium and you know how accurate they are. Dick, W7WT

We are getting ready for the GeoLuau, I picked up a 'Hawaiian' shirt for Lost One just the other day. Lil' Lost One is also getting one!!

HOT DOG!!! As always with our luau parties... Hawaiian attire is appreciated and underwear is optional.

This year there will be prized awarded for the best Hawaiian attire in the adult female and male as well as boy and girl categories. So dress in your finest.

ALOOOOOOHA!

I've got 40 pounds of pork for kalua pig in my freezer and I'm not afraid to use it people!

In addition to the pig we'll have some fruit and cheese plates and probably some sort of awful fattening, heart clogging desert for you all. If you could bring a food item it would be appreciated and welcomed. Please, everyone bring your own drinks. We'll have a cooler of clean ice for everyone.

If you want to bbq a few dogs or burgers for the kids please bring your own meat, meat handling tools and charcoal. There's a great little grill inside the main building.

There will be some kids items for them to play with and entertain themselves. We'll have a small pool with water and sponge balls. You may want to bring an extra change of clothing or towels for the kids.

In addition to the kids stuff we will be bringing horseshoes for anyone who wished to toss those around the pits. There are stands for a volleyball net but we don't have a net or a ball. If anyone wants to get a game going please bring a net and ball.

We are intending this to go on past dark and we will have a small fire for S'Mores later in the evening. We think we'll have enough for everyone but you might want to bring your own just in case we run out.

Seating will be at the picnic tables under the roof so if you'd like to spread out and sit in the yard area you'll need to BYOLC.... Bring Your Own Lawn Chair.

And just to remind you...we have special written permission to have dogs in the park during our event. All we ask is that you clean up the 'dog bombs' and make sure that your dog is under your control and safe.

Parking will be through the gates and towards the back and along the paved road into the park area.

After checking the calendar, it looks like we may be able to make this event. Sounds like a lot of fun. I've been getting my hawaiian shirt warmed up just for the occaision. We'll be bringing the three kids but probably leaving the dogs home. You'll all appreciate us not bringing the 9 month old lab puppy. Too much energy in one package!

After checking the calendar, it looks like we may be able to make this event. Sounds like a lot of fun. I've been getting my hawaiian shirt warmed up just for the occaision. We'll be bringing the three kids but probably leaving the dogs home. You'll all appreciate us not bringing the 9 month old lab puppy. Too much energy in one package!

Wuh-Oh! You said 'lab puppy'! I think it's a moral imperative that you bring it. Shop99er just LOVES lab puppies! He'd spend the whole time mushing and blowing in it's face and chasing it all around! :)

Wuh-Oh! You said 'lab puppy'! I think it's a moral imperative that you bring it. Shop99er just LOVES lab puppies! He'd spend the whole time mushing and blowing in it's face and chasing it all around! :rolleyes:

Don't let him fool you, so will Semper Questio. :P

I believe there has been a question on games, contests and prizes... Just so we're all clear.

The GPS contest that W7WT is running will be a 'bring a prize to enter and win a prize' situation. You bring a geocaching related prize as an "entry fee" and you are guaranteed to win a prize. How you place in the contest will determine if you get 1st pick of the stuff or 31st pick of the stuff.

The Hawaiian attire contest will be a freebie. You show up in a muumuu or Aloha shirt and you're entered. There will be prizes awarded for one man, one woman, one boy and one girl. Shop99er has final say on who wins. Dress to impress and remember...this man has about 200 Hawaiian shirts so your run of the mill Wal-Mart shirt won't cut it. Bonus points for pin-up girls and vintage!

There might be a couple other prizes awarded for simple games like guess the weight of the coconuts, how many jelly beans in a jar...that sort of thing.

Only thing you need to bring is a bit of food, something to drink, your GPS (and a suitable prize to enter that contest), maybe a couple of lawn chairs and a Hawaiian get up.

One small note...we may need to ask someone to bring an armload of wood for S'Mores later in the afternoon. We lack a fireplace or stove and I just priced a small packaged armload of wood for about $5! It's cheaper to go buy a chair at St. Vinnies and burn that!!!

Wuh-Oh! You said 'lab puppy'! I think it's a moral imperative that you bring it. Shop99er just LOVES lab puppies! He'd spend the whole time mushing and blowing in it's face and chasing it all around! :blink:

Don't let him fool you, so will Semper Questio. :huh:

I don't believe I ever said I wouldn't! :o

Couldn't ya see Bonus & Biscuit cuttin loose up there? I'd add Semper, but he'd be busy leaning on someone getting petted or finding the comfiest spots and taking naps.

After reading the string of posts it looks like this group has way to much fun. I might just have to ride across the state and join in on some of this fun, just don't expect to see me in a grass skirt. Is there camping at this park?

Unfortunately there isn't overnight camping at Jarstad Park. However, you might want to look into Allynview in Allyn (that's a fair drive from Gorst) and there's also Cedar Glenn RV Park in Poulsbo or Rhododendron RV Park between Poulsbo and Silverdale.

Unfortunately there isn't overnight camping at Jarstad Park. However, you might want to look into Allynview in Allyn (that's a fair drive from Gorst) and there's also Cedar Glenn RV Park in Poulsbo or Rhododendron RV Park between Poulsbo and Silverdale.

Thanks for the camping tips. I'm sure I'll find something in the area that will work for me. B)

Edited by Ladybug0048

Thanks for the camping tips.  I'm sure I'll find something in the area that will work for me. :rolleyes:

No problem! If you need any other pre-arrival information please don't hesitate to ask!

Don't forget Manchester State Park. I just returned from a 4200 mile trip in a small van type RV. I must say the nicest RV Park was Coeur d' Alene RV Park in Post Falls. Dick, W7WT

321c1a4f-7ca5-4056-be6b-2e4befba5510.jpg

This is the message board which will be kept up to date by Belleterre or her assistant. The universal plotting board on top will have your number showing approximately where you were from GZ shortly after your group was measured. On the message board it will also give the offical distance and bearing for your number. A colored magnetic peg will be placed by the top winner at that time. Coordinates will be given to the bridge as well as for the Garmin and Magellan

Sites. They will be changes when GZ is changed. This may be often or only between sessions.

Thanks to Misguided for bringing up my picture.

Edited by W7WT
Dick,

The GPS game is looking so professional I'm getting the feeling that I might be able to get within 5 or 10 feet of ground zero!! NAHHHH

Sure. As long as you put 500' of heavy brush between you and GZ!!!! :ph34r:

Bubba, when she sees that comment, she's gonna smack the crap right out of you. :rolleyes:

This outta be fun to watch. :lol:

One more word on the GPS game at the GeoLuau....

If there are several people in your caching party (like the SeabeckTribe who have 6 people caching under their account name) ALL of you can play the game provided that you ALL bring a suitable caching prize to enter. If 6 people go hunt ground zero then 6 people need to bring a prize.

There are two sessions of the game. One early and one late in the day. If you can't come early you can still play if you arrive before the second session. Times are posted on the GeoLuau event page.

There are TWO playing fields. One calculated by a Magellan and one calculated with a Garmin. You can play in either field no matter what GPSr you use.

Everyone who pays the 'entry fee' will play and EVERYONE will win something. The prizes collected will be spread out on a table and the closest to ground zero will pick from the table of prizes first. Second closest will pick second and so on until all the prizes are gone.

And just FYI..... Mr. shop99er will be putting up a personal geocoin as a prize so you've got a shot at winning one!

ALOHA!

Dick,

The GPS game is looking so professional I'm getting the feeling that I might be able to get within 5 or 10 feet of ground zero!! NAHHHH

Sure. As long as you put 500' of heavy brush between you and GZ!!!! ;)

Bubba, when she sees that comment, she's gonna smack the crap right out of you. :D

This outta be fun to watch. :)

Mrs. 99er here.

Is that a bushwhacking crack??? I HATE BUSHWHACKING!!! Bushwhacking is a little like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer...it feels so good when you quit.

Dick,

Sure. As long as you put 500' of heavy brush between you and GZ!!!! ;)

Bubba, when she sees that comment, she's gonna smack the crap right out of you. :)

This outta be fun to watch. :D

Mrs. 99er here.

Is that a bushwhacking crack??? I HATE BUSHWHACKING!!! Bushwhacking is a little like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer...it feels so good when you quit.

No, oh no! Not a crack at all! Just an observation. Hey, it's on YOUR coin! :D

Looking forward to seeing all of you at the GeoLuau. I will be operating out of my van parked over near the creek. If you need to borrow a GPS or fresh batteries I will have a supply of Costco AA which I will be glad to give to you. If I am not in the van ask Belleterre at the message board in the shelter to give me a call on channel 2 FRS radio. Or if you have your FRS radio give me a call. Also if you have trouble finding Jarstad Park we can guide you in. This is the coordinates for the Garmin Site Area (not GZ) The gate to Jarstad Park is just East of there.

47° 31.768 and 122° 42.568 Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

Hood Canal Bridge Closure: 8 PM Thursday Aug 11 and will end by 4 AM August 15. I am bringing this to your attention again for those who live west of the bridge that may be attending the August 13th GeoLuau. Enjoy the drive around the canal. Dick, W7WT

Congrats to the Hosts of Geoluau II on their 800 th find. At the rate they are going expect them to be celebrating the 900 find at the Luau. BTW Mark would you like to win back the $5 you lost to me because the Boss's 60C beat out your Maggy. This time you will be able to participate in a site set by a Magellan Platium and you know how accurate they are. Dick, W7WT

Again congrats to our hosts for the GeoLuau reachng 900. Back in June they reached 800 and I said they would get 900 by the GeoLuau event. They beat that. I don't know how they can be so envolved in so many things. Way to go. I only need 35 to reach that magic 1,000 and they will probably beat me to it. Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

Again congrats to our hosts for the GeoLuau reachng 900. Back in June they reached 800 and I said they would get 900 by the GeoLuau event. They beat that. I don't know how they can be so envolved in so many things. Way to go. I only need 35 to reach that magic 1,000 and they will probably beat me to it. Dick, W7WT

Thanks for the nice words, Dick.

I doubt if we'll be able to beat you to 1000. As you noted, we are sorta busy right now, and won't have much time for caching before the Luau, and very little after.

Two weeks after the Luau, we're off on another trip. This time, we're going to go around the US by Amtrak, again. You'll be sneaking up on 1100 before we get home, I imagine.

I plan to save 1000 for after we get home. We have bagged a couple of milestones on trips, but I'm gonna hold that one for home. I would really like to go with you and Ajetpilot, but it's gonna be late September before I can soot for 1K.

About 1530 a new big white 4WD pickup parked in front of our house. It was Bruce, Ajetpilot and his lovely wife Bertie. We had invited them to supper. I have been running accuracy tests on my 76C, 76S, Garmin 45 and my new wrist Foretrex 101. On a 15 foot pole mounted on a tripod with an external amplified antenna on top, Bruces Garmin 60C outdid all of my GPSs and will be used to set GZ at the Garmin site. He was receiving a full deck of satellites with all Ds including #47 the WAAS satellite. He had an accuracy of less than 1.9 feet after averaging for 3000 counts. But the big news is he will be serving in the capacity of Field Director in his new KILT. No, the old man will be wearing long cargo pants, a new Hawaiian shirt and a orginial Hawaiian straw hat he bought over there several decades ago.

But to really see Bruce in action you must come to the GeoLuau and participate

in the GPS Contest.

Dick, W7WT

About 1530 a new big white 4WD pickup parked in front of our house. It was Bruce, Ajetpilot and his lovely wife Bertie (snip) But the big news is he will be serving in the capacity of Field Director in his new KILT.

Yes, this is going to be a Hawaiian attire AND kilt event. Don't ask...

If you have a kilt, taditional or otherwise, go ahead and wear it. All we ask is that you sit like a lady!