Bamboo Walking Sticks

twqb

anyone know where i can buy a plain bamboo stick about 60" tall that i can turn into a walking stick

I pulled one up on the side of the road a few years back; it's my favorite walking stick.

I put one of those rubber crutches "feet" (round rubber end) on it; makes for sure footing and keeps the bottom from splitting.

Some martial arts dojos and stores have supplies of rattan that makes a good stick. Bamboo tends to dry and crack.

I used to do Kendo, which is Japanese fencing (think samurai). We used bamboo swords (shinai), to hit with, so they took quite a beating. We used sunflower oil to keep the wood in good shape. You just rub it in with a cloth or even your hands. This will allow it to not crack or dry out. Hope this helps. ;)

Some martial arts dojos and stores have supplies of rattan that makes a good stick. Bamboo tends to dry and crack.

I used to do Kendo, which is Japanese fencing (think samurai). We used bamboo swords (shinai), to hit with, so they took quite a beating. We used sunflower oil to keep the wood in good shape. You just rub it in with a cloth or even your hands. This will allow it to not crack or dry out. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

now this brings up another question where do you get the sunflower seed oil from?

thanks for all your replies i did find some in case anyone else is interested home depot has some 5' 3/4in thick for 99 cents and 6' for $1.27 they are a little thinner then i would like but i got two 5' ones and we'll see how good they end up also michaels which is a craft store had some thicker ones probable close to 3" thick and 6' tall for $5.99 i got one of those because the rest were cracked and wouldn't work i'm probably going to put the rubber tips on them but i also plan to put some fancy rope knots on them

Try the local craft store. Michael's, Wishing Well, Aaron Brothers? Those are some by me. You could also try import stores like Cost Plus and Pier1.

I have a couple at my inlaws' house. They're quite strong. My only idea was to fashion some sort of blowgun. Hiking stick, eh... Hmmm...(gears turning)...

I used to do Kendo, which is Japanese fencing (think samurai). We used bamboo swords (shinai), to hit with, so they took quite a beating. We used sunflower oil to keep the wood in good shape. You just rub it in with a cloth or even your hands. This will allow it to not crack or dry out. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

now this brings up another question where do you get the sunflower seed oil from?

thanks for all your replies i did find some in case anyone else is interested home depot has some 5' 3/4in thick for 99 cents and 6' for $1.27 they are a little thinner then i would like but i got two 5' ones and we'll see how good they end up also michaels which is a craft store had some thicker ones probable close to 3" thick and 6' tall for $5.99 i got one of those because the rest were cracked and wouldn't work i'm probably going to put the rubber tips on them but i also plan to put some fancy rope knots on them

You might want to check on your local laws about carrying a kendo stick. Some cities law enforcement don't take too kindly to "weapons" being carried around. To some it sounds silly, but better safe than sorry.

" You might want to check on your local laws about carrying a kendo stick. Some cities law enforcement don't take too kindly to "weapons" being carried around. To some it sounds silly, but better safe than sorry. "

Ahh, what you need to remember, the stick is just a tool, I am the weapon system. Just needed to add a joke

<_<

Edited by Savoy 6

True,

Mosts sticks are fine.

But if you wrap anything around, like tape or string on the handle, then the law see it as a weapon.

kiwiruss

3rd Degree Black Belt,

Instructor, Weapons Judge - ATA

American Taekwondo Association (www.ataonline.com)

Geocaching as 1/2 of TeamDS

Why buy when geocaching can get you to the right place to snag one, like this cache? You can do a search of caches with "bamboo," and perhaps contact someone locally to get you one.

My dad acquired a new walking stick from the cache area. To be environmentally friendly, he snagged one that was already knocked over and dead. Plus, he didn't have to fret about drying it out. I may have to return to the cache to get one for myself. Come to think of it, I have a really nifty shed 6 point antler from a deer that I grabbed on a cache earlier in the day that I could make a nifty handle from. Hmm....

We planted a small section of black bamboo, that doesn't spread like the other green and yellow ones, in our backyard. The first year, we got 3 sticks from it. After five years, it has grown/spread about twice the size (in yard area covered,) but directly from the small planting area, not by sending shoots.

It makes the most lucsious of walking sticks because the black bamboo gives it a very rich feel. We blacken the trimmed branches with a magic marker and sand it a little so it's not to sharp where we've trimmed the branches off. We also put a rubber cane tip on the end. Some we add a hose clamp with a section of nylon strapping to the top to form a handle for better downhill gripping.

You can take a broom clip, like the kind used in a closet to hang a broom, and attach mirrors to the bottom, the better for exploring hidden rock openings etc. before reaching your hands in there to potentially retrieve a cache.

Happy caching! :lol:

True,

Mosts sticks are fine.

But if you wrap anything around, like tape or string on the handle, then the law see it as a weapon.

kiwiruss

3rd Degree Black Belt,

Instructor, Weapons Judge - ATA

American Taekwondo Association (www.ataonline.com)

Geocaching as 1/2 of TeamDS

Note to self: Do not cache with my old hockey stick.

(just being a smartass. :unsure: )