How Do You Organize Your Caches??

I used to grab a bunch of points using the GC.com maps. Then put those into National Geographci Topo, Pring that out at a large scale so I can see my entire cache day and make a loop. Individual cache sheets might be printed if I need them.

I still do that if it's a remote cache day.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Cache without a Palm . . . ;)

Can't be done.

Seriously, I just started this activity and within two weeks, I was downloading the caches, and then the Pocket Queries, into my GPSr and my "Palmie" (an M500), something I did already have, but which was under-used.

I truly can't imagine trying to figure this out without GSAK and Cachemate, and the occasional map printout from my Mapsource maps.

When I first started, ancient history before the use of a PDA, I would print the pages from GC. They print out with the GC#### in the top left corner so I would sort the pages alphabetically by GC####.

As the caches were found, I would pull the page out and annotate it with notes (date/time, what was taken, left, etc) and put them in a seperate pile.

Pages of caches I didn't get to that day waited for another day, and soon it discovered that caching with 2-3 week old (or older) prinouts caused problems since the caches would get archived, multiple DNF's, coordinate fixes, etc.

The PDA became my best investment. It became cheaper than reprinting pages, gas for returning to DNF's, etc.

For a very long time, even though I was a premium member, I would painstakingly go through cache pages and print them out. Then I would plan and put the pages in order. Once I figured out that pocket queries really were great, I got a cheap old PDA on sale, cachemate and GSAK. Now I will never go back. I load it all up and have the waypoints in the GPS and pages on the PDA. I have a mapping GPS, so I also like to use that to see when a cache is near me when I am driving.

If you don't have a palm and mapping GPS, the pocket queries can still be useful because they act like a better search engine that allows you to filter things in or out. Then you can view the search after you set it and print pages. You can also use the email file to plot the caches on maps and print those out. Streets and Trips is very affordable and good for that if you don't have a mapping GPS that came with map software.

I know this has probably been asnwered many times.. but i havent seen it yet..

How do you guys organize your caches before a big day out.. If you dont have a palm or anything.. And how long does it take you to plan a normal day out..

Oh my..call me old school; I dont have a palm. I am our 1NatureFamily's cache secretary, and I'll totally paper. It takes me a good hour + to plan our caching day. This is where I sit with my morning coffee.

I pull up the state map

Zoom in on an area

Read thru each cache page (to determine diff/terr; our girls are 10 & 7)

~if I've chosen a bountiful-cache area, I'll start to write down each cache & make my own notes from the previous finder's logs, photos, & decode hint)

Write down driving directions

The techies are gonna laugh; ;) I'm not ashamed~with 2 children along, and time ticking away, I'll take all the assistance I can get in order to get us onto the cache trail that is right for us. And it works! We are able to experience alot of nature on the trail & not worry about the tech. stuff.

Enjoy your experience!

what is a GSAK... and how do i handle pocket queries.. i have an etrex vista.. and my trusty brain.. what shall i do..  there has to be something better than printing everything... without remembering all the info? ... aghh who knows..

GSAK is an absolutely brilliant database program that can do more stuff than I've yet to figure out.

In fact, it took me a couple of weeks to get my first Pocket Query into it and sorted on my Home location. :)

There is a whole thread about it in the GPS Units and Software Forum, and the developer checks in frequently to answer questions and take suggestions.

Cachemate on my Palm M500 and GSAK on my PC has saved lots of ink and paper. ;)

what is a GSAK... and how do i handle pocket queries.. i have an etrex vista.. and my trusty brain.. what shall i do.. there has to be something better than printing everything... without remembering all the info? ... aghh who knows..

My best answer is to look at the link that idiosyncratic posted and download GSAK. Then go to your "my cache page" and play with running some pocket queries to see what they can do. Then also play with putting those in GSAK. It seems rather daunting at first. I am a computer idiot and remember when I started using that stuff how I had no idea what I was doing. I read forum threads and web sites but was still confused. Once I simply downloaded programs and played with them I figured it out rather quickly. Unfortunately it is one of those things that is hard to explain in writing but can be figured out pretty well by messing with it, although the web info helps. Once you get the basics by playing with it, you will know enough to ask pointed questions for what you miss. At least that is how it was for me. It is really easier than it seems like it would be when you are sitting there and have not played with it yet. ;)

I recently started caching with a palm and have been able to locate many more caches using it. But prior to the palm, I would spend about 2 hours sitting down mapping out a route on gc.com, find a high cache concentration, copy and paste the info from each cache and print it out. The last time I did that, I was noticing some caches on the way back home that were in my gps but not printed out. I thought I'd go grab a quick smiley. An hour later I was still looking for the cache and saying things that would make a sailor blush. On the way home, I picked up a tungsten e so I could have all the cache info in front of me while on the road. When I checked out the cache I was struggling on, I found it was a 5/5 and a 7 stage multi. I had no idea what I was looking for but given the terrain I expected an ammo box. If you're an active cacher, consider the cost of an entry level palm and gc.com premium membership, you will end up saving in no time. I now have waypoints downloaded in the gps and palm and when I have a free time, I pick up a few smileys.

1. Choose an area I want to hit. (I would normally select a city or county where I will be hitting most caches)

2. Download them on my gps and pda (I will still go paper if I plan on hitting just a few)

3. Get my geocaching bag ready and make sure I have my sig items, sig cards and travel bugs (if I had any)

4. Look at my highly detailed map and decide my route.

5. Put everything in front of the door so I will be prepared in the morning.

6. Have some OJ and make sure the cats are all set with their food and litter.

7. Get in the Jeep and go exploring!

1st I run a PQ for the area I plan to cache in. Then I load those caches ontp Micro soft streets and trips or NG topo depending on what type of area it is. If they are urban caches I load the microsoft streets and strips map into my PPC, otherwise I print out a NG topo map. Next I load the caches into my Meridian Gold running Direct route and also into my Explorist 500 running topo 3D and for a back up into my sport track color running streets and destinations. I also make sure the PQs are also loaded into my PPC. after all this is done if it is not to late in the day I will go geocaching ;)

Thanks to Pocket Queries, I have the closest 700 caches to my home already on my GPS.

Before I started using my PDA, I'd pick an area and print out a couple dozen cache pages and maybe the maps for ones I was particularly interested in. Then I'd hit maybe 3-4 of those caches and stick the rest in my to-do pile. The to-do piles piled up in my car, on my desk, on the dining room table, in my pack, you name it.

Now I have the closest 700 cache pages on my PDA in Cachemate, so no matter where I go, within reason, I already have everything I need with me.

It sounds like Brian and I had the same system of stacks of print outs all over the place, Back seat of car, glove compartment, above visor, on tables all over the house. Then came my Pocket PC, Now I have hundreds of caches for about 15 cities in my pocket. I will still use a print out from time to time for a FTF if I do not want to take the time to conect my PPC to my computer.

1. I run a PQ and load the results into GSAK.

2. Transfer the cache information from GSAK into my 60CS. The data transfered to the Note field on my 60CS includes;

GC#

Cache type

Size

Difficulity

Terrain

Travel Bug present code

Results of last 4 finds

Date of the last find

3. Do a Find and have the 60CS road route me to the first cache.

4. Switch 60CS to Topo Maps.

5. Look for cache. Once found, tab to the cache's Note field and enter any important find information.

(If I'm hiking for a long distance to a cache I turn on Track so that I can do a Back Track to get back to my van)

6. Switch back to Mapsource maps and road route to the next nearest cache.

7. When I'm done for the day I page to the Calendar which then contains all the caches I found for the day in the order I found them.

8. Go to GC.com and register finds in the order found.

Edited by Schrecky

I load about 500 points from GSAK onto DeLorme 5.0. Then I look for an area that that I want to go to and that has a nice pattern of caches (loop if possible). I use that visual picture to decide exactly how my plan will proceed. I have all the cache info for the area and all the caches downloaded from GSAK onto my 60cs. I pack up and head out. Usually takes under an hour to come up with a day's caching plan.

I use a Palm and GSAK;

but, before I did, I would select a cache I had not found and print out the page. Then I would print out a MapQuest map for it. Next I would select "All near by caches" and one at a time select the others that I wanted. I would x them on the MapQuest Map and print them out. Then I would plot a route and put them in a note book and head out the next morning.

That is why I use a Palm and GSAK

Ok , this maybe a stupid question....

Where in the world is "My Cache Page" that everyone says you click on to get to PQ's?

I just became a premium member, but I'll be darned if I can find this link.

hermdog :D

Edited by hermdog
Ok , this maybe a stupid question....

Where in the world is "My Cache Page" that everyone says you click on to get to PQ's?

I just became a premium member, but I'll be darned if I can find this link.

hermdog :D

Never mind I found it. It is under "My Account". Perhaps the FAQ should be updated and also the email that is sent once a user becomes a premium member. Both instruct you to look for "My Cache Page".

hermdog

All this storing of WPs and paperless caching is great when 95% or more of caches are traditionals, and more or less all you need to know about the cache fits into the "Geocache info" page on a GPSMAP model.

I'm off to Holland next week and well over half the caches are multis or mysteries of some kind, requiring as a minimum that you take the cache sheet with you.

So spare a thought for those of us in Europe, where even in regions of high cache density, 20 caches in a day is a distant dream because each cache takes a lot more time (drive-ins sometimes get bad reviews simply for being drive-ins!).

Here is my paperless method.

1. Download PQ's for the area I am going into my laptop

2. Copy the gpx file to an SD card to plug into my IPAQ so I can open it with GPXSonar (also had a Palm and used Cachemate, but like GPXSonar better)

3. Open GPX file on laptop with ExpertGPS look at maps and sat photos while connected to the internet so I get the general Idea of where I am going. Then upload waypoints to GPSr with ExpertGPS

If there are any puzzle caches I want to hit, I will print the cache page on occasion, but GPXSonar has the cache listing so that isn't usually required.

Used to print them all out and plug them in manually. Caqn't imagine going back to that. Used to feel guilt pangs at first since it was so easy it almost seemed like I was cheating.....

Here is my planning routiine. I rely on DeLorme Street Atlas 2004 or DeLorme Topo USA 5 depending on where I'm going.

1. Perform a Lat/Lon search on geocaching.com to get .LOC or .GPX files of caches near my destination. I get Lat/Lon from mouse positions on the mapping software.

2. I have a program that does a couple of things.

a. it loads one or more .LOC files and .GPX files into one list and formats the list for importing into my DeLorme software as waypoints. This a .TXT file. There is an option to output waypoint hyperlinks to the cache descriptions on geocaching.com. When I get home, it allows me to use the DeLorme software to go directly to each waypoint's web page for logging.

b. it outputs cache data to a Microsoft Word document with a table of cache type, Lat/Lon, ID and name. If the input files are GPX, indexed cache descriptions are also output to the Word document. Output of hints is an option.

3. I then print the Word document

4. Then the .TXT file is imported into the DeLorme software using Draw import functions.

5. I then export the waypoints to my Garmin GPSr

6. Print applicable maps at various scales and views to declutter the maps.

So, armed with my maps, descriptions, compass, GPSr, I'm ready to go. Nearly all of the caches I visit require a lot of hiking, so I minimize the amount of electronics and batteries that I carry. I have a laptop computer that I run the DeLorme SW on, but it stays in the car.

For a weekend outing, this takes about 30 minutes.

Edited by fw_ord

:) WOW :D

Just finished my first cache using PDA (PalmVx), GSAK, and CacheMate...about all I can say is WOW!!!

Admittedly it took me a couple of days to get all the software figured out, but man what a reward for the effort!

If any of you folks ever have an expendable $50 and really want to make the work of geocaching alot simpler, this is the way to go!

I run pocket queries through Spinner which outputs waypoints for the gpsr and a "Cache" file for the HP Ipaq.

Most of our caching is along routes to distant areas. For those I run PQ's for selected cities and print cache pages for selected caches in rural areas or small cities.

Preparing for a long route take hours but a single city trip can be setup inabout 30 minutes.

I just bought a Palm IIIxe off eBay for caching purposes, so this approach will probably change . . .

I go ahead and run the search on GC.com for distance from my home coordinates. I pick a general direction I want to go, and find a handful of caches in that direction. I print the pages (yes, I decode the hints from the outset . . .) I then load those waypoints into my GPS and head out, doing as many as I can before my daughter craps out. All of the papers end up getting shoved into the the passenger side door pocket of our cache-mobile.

My palm and Cachemate combined with PQs should streamline and speed up this procedure, as will moving to an area with a slightly higher cache density that doesn't involve driving 100+ miles round trip anytime I go caching.

Like they say "You know you're from Wyoming if you measure distance in hours"