Jester's Road Trip

The Jester

I'm planning a caching vacation to get Mingo GC30, the oldest existent cache, as my 1000th. As most of it is in the West/Southwest area the main thread is here, but I also looking for ideas on the first part of the trip (mostly Idaho). Check the map on the other thread and please give me you suggestions. Thanks.

I'm just spending the night there, I'd like something to 'remember' the town with. While planning the trip, larger towns are the hardest to do as there are so many caches to try and pick 1, 2 or a few. Along the roads is easier, fewer choices. Historical, oddball places (like "One for the Little People" in Portland OR, takes you to the world's smallest park), or views are best. I don't want really long or complicted caches - a ballpark figure is a half mile one way. Multi's are out for the most part, but a easy off-set one is fine.

This is one of my easy faves from a trip to Boise a couple of years ago. Not a difficult find, by any means, but unique:

EXTERCALIF

Nothing fancy about this one, but it gives you an access point (or a direction to go in) to get up in the hills above EXTERCALIF and see the city from that vantage point:

Give A Dog A Bone

There is another one further out of town that involves darkness (read: night) and some caves. I had it on my watch list to do when we were in Boise last month, but didn't quite make it. Will pass on the link once I figure it out.

-=-

michelle

There are a few in Boise along the riverfront greenbelt trail. If you park at Joe's Crab Shack (west of downtown) you can pick up two or three on the south side of the river (a mile or so walk, one way). There are more on the north side, with parking at various points for easy access. Very pleasant, kinda like the Burke-Gilman between Bothell and Woodinville.

Well, it WAS fun... I just dropped my PDA and lost all my data! :o Including all the answers to the virtuals we done! ;) This is going to make life much more interesting... ;)

So far we've kept to the schedule mostly - just missed two caches yesterday by running out of time, but I can make those up later. Only three DNF's so far, but we were able to grab others in the area to keep the count up. Tomorrow should be the real test - 19 caches :huh: while drive from Lehi, UT to Vernal, UT - more than half are virts which will help.

Hay jester..

You might want to contact fauxsteve he just logged mingo on May 6.. Looks like he is on a road trip also.. Anyway have a great trip..

Hey yeah, I grabbed Mingo on a dark, windy night not too long ago while driving across Kansas! These great old caches really keep our perspectives straight about "the good old days of geocaching"! As long as you pretend that you're looking for a benchmark disk it should be no problem at all. :P Have fun out there!

Well, we've finally reached Colorado Springs - and my find count stands at 999 (none logged yet, the days are longer than hoped for and the last two nights no internet access). So bright and (not so) early tomorrow we'll head for Mingo, plus a few others on the way back.

So when are you going to log your find? :laughing:

At the rate this vacation is going, probably next month! We can't seem to get back to the motel until after dark (sometimes WELL after) so I haven't had time to write all the logs, much lest post them. And each day I seem to get farther behind...

So when are you going to log your find? :drama:

At the rate this vacation is going, probably next month! We can't seem to get back to the motel until after dark (sometimes WELL after) so I haven't had time to write all the logs, much lest post them. And each day I seem to get farther behind...

That sounds like a problem I'd sure like to have. Don't come back from the vacation so tired you need another vacation :laughing: - congrats !!

So when are you going to log your find? :)

That sounds like a problem I'd sure like to have. Don't come back from the vacation so tired you need another vacation :D - congrats !!

One of my favorite cartoons (from years ago) was a guy saying "The average american needs 50 weeks to recover from his two week vacation." I wonder how long it will take for a 3 week vacation??? ;)

The obvious answer is that it must be 49 weeks.

:):D;)

Ahhh! But that is less time to recover from a longer vacation. 2 weeks/50 weeks equals 25 weeks per week of vacation, so shouldn't it be 75 weeks for a 3 week vacation?

Ack! This is too much to think about while ON vacation! :D The easiest answer is never quit the vacation! :DB):D

The obvious answer is that it must be 49 weeks.

:)  :D  ;)

Ahhh! But that is less time to recover from a longer vacation. 2 weeks/50 weeks equals 25 weeks per week of vacation, so shouldn't it be 75 weeks for a 3 week vacation?

Ack! This is too much to think about while ON vacation! :D The easiest answer is never quit the vacation! :DB):D

If you take more than 49 weeks, then you may not get any vacation next year. Not a good plan.

If you take more than 49 weeks, then you may not get any vacation next year. Not a good plan.

Ah, but who said you have to recover from one vacation before you start your next vacation?

Ohh, this is making my head hurt, I'm going back to writing logs of the finds on this trip. :lol:

Just a wrap up post. I've been back a week now, and just today finished posting all the cache logs. I've still got a few photos I want to add to some caches, but that will happen when it happens.

The trip lasted 22 days, covered 6,437 miles with 147 hours 17 minutes of drive time. We found 181 caches and had 17 DNF's in 9 states. That works out to finding a cache every 35.56 miles or 8.2 caches a day. Our best day was 22 caches (Lehi UT to Vernal UT), our 'worst' were two 1-cache days (one we were on the Cumbres & Toltec RR with a cache at lunch (GCG9Y4), the other was one day in Colorado Springs where we DNF'd two and found GC67, a cache rescue). We found 8 of first 100 caches placed, with Mingo (THE oldest) being my 1000th find.

We went from sea level to 14,110 (by Pikes Peak cog RR - 2 caches on top). Our highest walking cache was at 11,400 (GC19). I took and dropped 13 TB's from around here, and returned with 14 TB's & 3 geocoins.

Favorite caches: Dog Bark Park, TMA-1, all of the Grand Canyon virtuals, Oregen Trail and Kelton Road, the 2 earthcaches (Saddle Mountain & Garden of the Gods), all the 'oldies', I was Framed!!! virtual, AlreadE Micro Cache, Natural Air Conditioning, Operation Iraqi Freedom II. That's just the short list, there were so many that were good.

We met only two other caching groups while traveling, but we planned a day with Team GPSaxophone in the Colorado Springs area.

Whew! What a trip.

When do we leave for the next one, dear? <ducking quick>