Erasing Contact Database On Palm

Does anyone know of a tool that will allow selection of specific CONTACTS (like the ones uploaded when you want to use Mapopolis geomarks via CONTACTS) so I can erase them and then load up a different set??

I can do this via the PALM DESKTOP but I need a tool for out in the field.

usually what i do is this:

i hotsync the palm. then i go into outlook which is the program i use for contacts and stuff. i then delete all the geocaches that are in my contacts list.

take note, i export the list from cachemate to palm contacts as waypoints, not names, this way they all show up as a "G" in the contact list. this way i can just hold down function + D and it deletes them all repidly.

Once they are deleted, i re hotysnc and that removes all the geocaches from the palm contacts manager.

hope that helps

Well I had read how to do that with the windows PALM DESKTOP application. Which is the same as doing what you mention with the OUTLOOK application.

I was looking for how to completely delete the CONTACTS database content on the PALM itself with no connection to a "mother" computer.

you can reformat the palm if you hold down the power button for 10 seconds it will boot up and ask press up to reformat, down to cancel.  This will completely erase everything.

Thats a bit like buying a new car because the ashtrays are full!

AFAIK, there is no way within Palm OS "Address" to delete a whole category of contacts.. you can delete the categrory, but the then the contacts remain and filed as "Unfiled". However, a 3rd party contact manager (maybe Agendus?) may have this ability.

I too use Outlook plus a Hotsync to clear the Palm contact list for my "cache" category. It's annoying.

Edited by maingray

Ya, maingray's correct - there's no way to delete multiple Address Book entries simultaneously from the Palm itself. The only way to remove them is one-by-one - tap on the entry to open the detail view, tap Edit, tap Details, tap Delete, tap OK. Only 5 taps per deletion! Wheeee!

Ya, maingray's correct - there's no way to delete multiple Address Book entries simultaneously from the Palm itself. The only way to remove them is one-by-one - tap on the entry to open the detail view, tap Edit, tap Details, tap Delete, tap OK. Only 5 taps per deletion! Wheeee!

thats why i do it on the desktop. its goes much quicker.

Doing a hard reset is a little drastic, but it's not that hard to restore everything. All it takes is a hotsync or a restore from a backup on an SD card. That's actually the easiest way to delete everything. Actually, the standard hard reset involves holding the power button while pressing the reset button. I haven't seen a model that does a hard reset by holding the power button for 10 seconds, but I haven't really tried it. I just press the reset button while holding the power button, and it happens immediately.

There is no way I know of to delete categories or multiple records on the Palm. It's easy enough on the desktop, because you can just use the standard Ctrl-A to Select All, and you have all the records in the category you're viewing selected, and then the Delete key deletes all of them. Make sure you put all the waypoints into a separate category, or you'll have a mess on your Palm and in the desktop.

Edited by NightPilot