Garmin Etrex Legend And Waas

Moonbeamer

Just bought a eTRAX Legend and have had zero success in pulling in the WAAS satellites. I live in the Pacific Northwest (Lopez Island, WA) and have the GPS properly enabled for WAAS and am pointing it toward the south west horizon from a large clear, open field. Numbers 33 and above will show at the top of the screen at the top of the horizon circle near N and then they appear only as an open circle with no signal at all. I have tried aiming in different directions and at different times of the day. Nothing changes except different numbers 33 and above appear in that same open circle.

How easy or difficult is it to pull in the WAAS satellites? Am I doing something wrong or did I get a defective unit?

Would appreciate any opinions or suggestions you might have to offer!

Would appreciate any opinions or suggestions you might have to offer!

Since I don't own a Legend or live in the Northwest, I can only give general WAAS help.

First visit Dale's page about WAAS.WAAS info by Dale It's probably the best and the only non-commercial one I'd recommend.

From the maps it seems that you should be able to see #47 in your locale, but probably not #35.

It has been mentioned by many etrex owners that it takes over 15 minutes to load all the WAAS info.

You may want to move this thread to "GPS Units and Software" for a better response.

I live in southern Saskatchewan Canada and can receive a good WAAS signal from 35 which is to the south east of my location. Satelite 47 appears on the horison of my Legend but never is strong enough to receive a signal. You should get a good signal from 47 at your location in WA. Give your Legend time to lock on and sync up with the WAAS satelite, the first few times for my Legend it took about 10 or 15 minutes to receive WAAS signals.

Edited by spud67

Thanks to both reidster and spud67 for your quick and informative replies. It appears I needed more time and a better location to lock on and sync up with the WAAS satellite. 47 now comes in as well as could be expected. The WAAS INFORMATION BY DALE is an excellent resource!

I appreciate your help very much.