What Type Of Swag Do You Hope To Find?

If the world was perfect and everyone traded equal or up, what type of non children swag would you realistically hope to find? Small tools? CDs? Coins?

I'm trying to get ideas what to carry. Currently I have a couple CDs, a couple rolls of new buffalo nickels and a couple Sacagawea dollar coins. I need to get a few more items but also want to get items that others would enjoy finding. What are others doing?

I like toys, the kind that you can play around with and then drop off in another cache when it get's too boring. A good example of this was a box of dominoes that I picked up. Played a few games with and then passed on. Also, flags are great, my favorite one being a small beaded flag of South Africa that I picked up and keep pinned to my book bag.

Instead of coins, I though that stamps might be nice, though I realise that they won't always last well in a cache. :D

Part of the thrill of Geocaching is finding something you want to trade for but you never thought about possessing....or purchasing.

My favorite finds include a Duke Ellington music CD, leather bible cover, little stuffed animals for my son, foriegn coins/bills, mini coffee cups, cards etc.....

I have about 500 old Mexican Pesos I instend to use as a signature item, but I havn't yet figured out how to make them unique.  Should I just leave them alone and use them by themselves?

Is there are relatively blank area on the bills you could stamp your username or something similar?

Individual pesos are coins. Maybe put them in a baggie with a sig card?

I like looking for sig items, foreign coins, packs of cards, toy cars and action figures. I like the action figures because all but 2 of the 20 some travel bugs I have launched came from caches I have found. I've started collecting foreign coins when I inherited my grandmother's coin collection last year. As for the cards, I always seem to lose the decks I get, so i always need a steady supply of cards if I feel the urge to play Solitare, Blackjack or Poker.

I have about 500 old Mexican Pesos I instend to use as a signature item, but I havn't yet figured out how to make them unique.  Should I just leave them alone and use them by themselves?

Is there are relatively blank area on the bills you could stamp your username or something similar?

Individual pesos are coins. Maybe put them in a baggie with a sig card?

Well, of course they are coins! :rolleyes: I was thinking about stamping my username on them too, but that seems pretty expensive and I don't have a letter stamp set. The baggie is an ok idea, but I was trying to keep it small and relatively non-time consuming. ANy other suggestions perhaps or an expansion on these?

Maybe you could go to a coin shop and get some of those paper holders collecters put coins in and put a stamp or a label on there?

I recently made some 'Redneck coins' out of tree limbs that I cut into disks and put clear labels with my graphics on and then varnished. They turned out pretty good and I have gotten good feedback on them.

I love to get sig items in caches, but my kids (10 & 11) are another story! We usually carry a couple of new hot wheels with us along with all the other tradeable stuff for those caches where they just cant resist a toy.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by High-Tech Redneck

Our local Wal-Mart has a big barrell of $1 DVDs. Its mostly a bunch of old westerns and junk I'd have no interest in watching, but someone might. Would this be acceptable to leave as a trade item or should I assume that since I'm not interested, others won't be either?

Maybe you could go to a coin shop and get some of those paper holders collecters put coins in and put a stamp or a label on there?

I recently made some 'Redneck coins' out of tree limbs that I cut into disks and put clear labels with my graphics on and then varnished. They turned out pretty good and I have gotten good feedback on them.

I love to get sig items in caches, but my kids (10 & 11) are another story! We usually carry a couple of new hot wheels with us along with all the other tradeable stuff for those caches where they just cant resist a toy.

Edit: Spelling

That's an interesting idea as well. I'll think about that. Has anyone stamped a coin before? If so, how'd you do it and what tools did you use?

I would be thrilled to find ANYTHING that isn't either broken, or crap :D

Dream items for me would be books (esp bookcrossing books that I can pass on), CDs, anything a little unusual. Essentially...something that clearly isn't just another person's trash :D

I always try to leave things that I would be excited to find. That doesn't necessarily make them expensive :o

A dry logbook and something to sign it with. Thats all I ask for.

:D

Of course, I do like to find different military or LEO patches. I don't really collect them, but if I find one and I have something to trade, I usually take them.

I think that trade items should be like everything else and follow the golden rule. Leave what you would like to find.

As far as the cheep DVDs, just because the actual movie isn't what your tastes are, someone out there likes it, so I think that is a fine trade item.

acPilot Posted on Apr 13 2005, 06:13 PM

Well, of course they are coins! I was thinking about stamping my username on them too, but that seems pretty expensive and I don't have a letter stamp set. The baggie is an ok idea, but I was trying to keep it small and relatively non-time consuming. ANy other suggestions perhaps or an expansion on these?

How about the protective cardboard squares coin collectors use. There is a circular area cut out of the middle, and they have a cellophane "viewing window" so you can see the coin.

Write your sig appropriate message on the white cardboard portion.

Our local Wal-Mart has a big barrell of $1 DVDs. Its mostly a bunch of old westerns and junk I'd have no interest in watching, but someone might. Would this be acceptable to leave as a trade item or should I assume that since I'm not interested, others won't be either?

Heaven forbid no - I Love old westerns!!

I like finding old coins and foreign coins. They're fun to collect.

I have so many of these old Mexican Peso coins, and they total a value of about maybe $ .04 in American Dollars now, so they are practically worthless monetarily. However, they are becoming rare and I was hoping to use these coins as a <special> signature item.

I think those protective cases are neat, and I might try it. But before I do, I'd wonder if any of you have ever stamped a coin with a message or username possibly? If so, how'd you do it and what toos did you use?

I picked up a Laurel & Hardy DVD at the local dollar store, viewed it and dropped it off in one of my caches and it was traded out a few days later!

Family freindly DVD's make excellant cache items especially westerns and classic comedies.

Cache on, Bluesman63

Our local Wal-Mart has a big barrell of $1 DVDs.  Its mostly a bunch of old westerns and junk  I'd have no interest in watching, but someone might.  Would this be acceptable to leave as a trade item or should I assume that since I'm not interested, others won't be either?

Heaven forbid no - I Love old westerns!!

Old westerns! Great Idea! Hope I don't find too many though, I may not have time to cache anymore :D:o:D

I think those protective cases are neat, and I might try it. But before I do, I'd wonder if any of you have ever stamped a coin with a message or username possibly? If so, how'd you do it and what toos did you use?

You would need a press and die of some sort but the cost would be prohibitive, to just put some simple letters or numbers you could use a stamp but they would need to be pretty small they look like rubber stamps on the end but made out of metal, you tap them with a hammer to make the impression you can find them in tool stores.

Or

You can get Ziploc bags of most any size there are very small ones you could use those and then print out your avatar maybe on photo paper the size that would fit the baggie for reference.

After some months I really lost interest in swag. I started to log more LNTN. But every once in a while I'll open a cache and find something unique. The best one I ever got was a nifty fanny pack in camo. From then on, I have been using that fanny pack on every geocaching trip. Other items that comes to mind is an Iraqi 250 dinar, a Where's George? dollar and a Sacagiwea(sp?) dollar. :lol:

I think "worry stones" are a good trade item. I'm not sure about using them as a sig item as no two are alike. You can buy "worry stones" or polish your own using a small, inexpensive rock tumbler outfit. You might be able to make a cool sig item by polishing up a very unusual type or shape of stone. I've carried a worry stone around for years. It's like an old friend. A word of caution here: I always worry my worry stone out in the open. Worrying it in your pocket can get you some funny looks :laughing:

If I was to use a "worry stone" as a sig item, I sure wouldn't just throw 'em into caches loose. That's just a dumb rock. I'd put it in a small baggie with my handle written on it or maybe even put it in a small drawstring cloth or silk bag.

eagle_fly3_cld_md_wht.gif

Edited by Seesthewind and Lavamama