Suggested Items For Adult Cache.

People tend to use kid items because kids cache quite a bit and enjoy them. But if you want to aim at adults, look for tools such as levels, screwdrivers etc; decorative items, fridge magnets, useful things like potato chip bag clips or kitchen utensils, and; outdoor things like compases, rain ponchos etc. Batteries are often good too. Maybe CDs or movies (stay family friendly though). No knives or lighters etc. (see the guidelines).

I tend to aim for a mix in caches with a bunch of kid stuff and some things that adults would like.

Edited by carleenp

Random list of things that have proven popular in caches I've hidden:

Batteries a/k/a "GPS Food," emergency poncho, emergency blanket, signal whistle, prepaid long distance phone card, gift card for a bookstore or sporting goods store, pizza cutter, Groundspeak stickers, Signal antenna ball, unactivated travel bug, pocket screwdriver or wrench set, emergency/travel sewing kit, keychains, and live hamsters.

All my trade items are aimed at adults. The ones that seem to get taken from the caches quickest are the small pocket knives, miniature multitools, precision screwdriver sets, digital watches and laser pointers. None of these cost me more than $1 (Canadian) each at the dollar store. The items that seem to sit in my caches forever are toy cars, stickers, erasers, shampoo samples and coupons.

All my trade items are aimed at adults. The ones that seem to get taken from the caches quickest are the small pocket knives, miniature multitools, precision screwdriver sets, digital watches and laser pointers. None of these cost me more than $1 (Canadian) each at the dollar store. The items that seem to sit in my caches forever are toy cars, stickers, erasers, shampoo samples and coupons.

As much as I think knives could be good trade items (almost everyone here in the midwest carries one), why use them when if noted on the site it could cause the cache to get disabled? Of course you might never note it, but if some picky land manager found it, it could cause issues, which is why they were included in the guidelines to begin with. As much as I think people like them and I sure wish at times that I could leave a leatherman tool as a FTF prize, I figure it is better to leave the blades out.

I like the rest of your suggestions though and agree on the things that seem to linger in caches. Although good matchbox cars seem to go fast here. I got a laser pointer myself recently from a cache. I point it on the walls and move it around to tease the cats. :laughing:

As much as I think knives could be good trade items (almost everyone here in the midwest carries one), why use them when if noted on the site it could cause the cache to get disabled? Of course you might never note it, but if some picky land manager found it, it could cause issues, which is why they were included in the guidelines to begin with. As much as I think people like them and I sure wish at times that I could leave a leatherman tool as a FTF prize, I figure it is better to leave the blades out.

Since it usually takes me a few weeks to log my caches online, the tiny pocketknives are usually long gone by the time they're logged. :laughing: In Canada, we don't seem to have the same issues with 'land managers' as our American friends to the south. We also don't have chain gangs or any other type of prison labour at work in public areas so the spectre of murderous rampages by wayward prisoners with 2" blades is not a concern. I also don't buy the arguments about children inadvertently finding 'dangerous' articles in caches. If your kid is too young to find a pocketknife then I would suggest that they are too young to be out in the woods by themselves. Obviously, I am not one to cater to the lowest common denominators. :lol:

Personally, I interpret the 'guidelines', which seem to be interpreted by everyone else as rules, as applying only to the initial contents of a cache being listed on GC. I don't recognize GC's authority to dictate any other rules for caching other than what they will or won't list on their site and therefore do not feel bound to any rules originating on GC regarding what I can or can't trade in a cache. GC is a listing site, not the governing body of all things related to caching.

BTW - I've left well over 35 miniature pocket knives and/or multitools in caches and have not received a single complaint from anyone. However, I have received emails complimenting me on my choice of trade items. My only conclusion is that, at least in my neck of the woods, the whole issue of pocket knives in caches in nothing more than a tempest in a teapot.

The contentious issue of pocketknives really is off-topic for this thread and the subject has been beat to death in these forums on many occasions so if someone wants to take me to task for my bad attitude I suggest a different thread so as to avoid derailing this topic any further.

The contentious issue of pocketknives really is off-topic for this thread and the subject has been beat to death in these forums on many occasions so if someone wants to take me to task for my bad attitude I suggest a different thread so as to avoid derailing this topic any further.

I have no plans to continue a knife debate, nor do I desire to derail a thread. I pointed it out since it could be good info for the OP. I tend to suggest avoiding knives. Obviously others disagree. If people wish to read such a debate, I would guess there are some out there to be found with the search function.

Now back to angst free laser pointer play with the cats. Having recently found one in a cache, I think those rock as trade items BTW! :laughing:

Now back to angst free laser pointer play with the cats. Having recently found one in a cache, I think those rock as trade items BTW

I recall a thread where someone thought they were horrible things to put in a cache. Personally I agree with you, but there is always someone who has an issue with something.

The only things I have kept from caches are old coins, tokens, wooden nickles, multi tools (1 large 1 small), a Garmin T-shirt, Signature items, "unique thing" (hand carved fish, miniture sample bricks, i.e. things I cant find at WalMart) and little silly figurine 2 inch and smaller (dolphen, chicken little, homies, animals, hand painted lead soidier and traditionally dressed german character). My wife and I get a kick out of the figurenes and Chicken Little just makes us smile.

Happy Caching.

GEO.JOE

Now back to angst free laser pointer play with the cats. Having recently found one in a cache, I think those rock as trade items BTW

I recall a thread where someone thought they were horrible things to put in a cache. Personally I agree with you, but there is always someone who has an issue with something.

I think lasers are a fine trade item. Just don't shine one at an airplane. :laughing:

I will have to go look for that. I suppose they are "dangerous" in the sense that they should not be pointed at eyes etc. But I doubt land managers would jump on them like they have before with other items (even if they were being silly).

Anyway, there are many good "adult" items for caches. I liked particularly liked Lep's suggestions of geocaching stickers and Gorak's of digital watches. And I like laser pointers, but if the OP is worried about people having concerns about those in the past then I say avoid them.

I recently got a bunch of colorful magnet clips at a dollar store and have noticed that those seemed to go fast. Plus they are fun to stick to the insides of an ammo can. So there is another idea.

Now what is the age of the average adult. I like kid stuff because I do not want to grow up.

Actually these are good items for the older generation.

Knee braces, poli-grip, magnifiying lenses (help us old fogies read the GPS), books on how to spoil your grandkids. You can leave canes, maps (even though we know where we are supposed to be), small flashlights (useful for those nightly excursions to the rest room), flat wooden spoons (good for training grandkids on proper behavior), shot glasses, cork screws for the bottle of wine, periodicals in large print, foam jackets for coffee cups or for beer bottles.

Make it a large cache and you can pick up old vinyl records (those things that predate CD's) so we can listen to the old tunes on the phony graph. And if you feel generous leave a CD (Certificate of Deposit) for a First Finders Prize.

I will have to go look for that. I suppose they are "dangerous" in the sense that they should not be pointed at eyes etc. But I doubt land managers would jump on them like they have before with other items (even if they were being silly).

Should Laser Pointers Be Banned :laughing: .

Some "adult" items that I put in caches. Individually wrapped Rain-X and Armor All wipes, survival whistles, compasses, mylar emergency blankets, fishing lures and line, small spray cans of insect repellent, small spray cans of WD-40, emergency rain ponchos, GC.COM patches and decals, euro decals, allen wrench sets, small screwdriver sets, maps, books, blank R/W CDs, Energizer squeeze lights, LED keychain lights, rolls of 35mm film, Sharpie markers, small packages of office supplies (paper clips, Post Its, push pins, etc...), bungee cords, magnetic notepads, travel sewing kits and raw clams.

I've stocked small, basic first aide kits (in a canvas bag, bought for a few dollars each) in several of my caches and they're always one of the first items to go - the finders always seem excited to have one in their log. It's one of those items everyone should have, but many never get around to getting!

I had some decals printed up for about a buck each and they serve as the FTF prize. I've received e-mails from local cachers asking how they can get one or if I would give them a heads up when I place a cache. The decal is similar to those OBX and also GPS that I've seen on car windshields. I will usually hand the stickers out at our monthly events to not only get the cachers going after my caches but also to come ot a meeting. I would mail it to them if they wanted. But check a print shop about decals that are caching oriented.

One of the items I found recently that I thought was cool was a led keychain light. It was very bright and I just couldn't pass it up.

I will sometimes leave a micro inside a container. All they have to do is find a suitable spot for it and there's another cache out there.

Edited by cudlecub

Opps, I forgot about a local cache that I was originally going to place but I gave it to a good friend of mine so he could hide a cache.

It is a coing exchange with coins from all over the world inside. The container is a metal water bottle that coins easily slide in and out of and the log is suspended with fishing line thru the "sipper hole" in top of the bottle. The bottle itself was purchased from the sporting goods section of a major retailer for a buck. They really do mean falling prices there. lol But I think it's one of the more popular caches around the area and adults seem to enjoy the cache. The terrain isn't very kid friendly, although they would surely have the energy to get up the hill.

Random list of things that have proven popular in caches I've hidden:

Batteries a/k/a "GPS Food," emergency poncho, emergency blanket, signal whistle, prepaid long distance phone card, gift card for a bookstore or sporting goods store, pizza cutter, Groundspeak stickers, Signal antenna ball, unactivated travel bug, pocket screwdriver or wrench set, emergency/travel sewing kit, keychains, and live hamsters.

I think one of the funniest thing I ever read on the forums was when Lep told the story about his daughter wanting to take her pet hamster cache and then he realized she wanted to use it as a trade item. I still laugh at that.

cheers

Best adult toy items?

Mindgames. Seriously, like the ones you can purchase from ThinkGeek.com but they're the cheap dollar store knockoffs. Nothing like a rubix cube to keep you distracted while tripping over logs into Prickerbush Gulch. It's even fun explaining to the medics how exactally you inhaled it on your way down the rockslide. :(

The key word is "eclectic"!!! Variety (of theme, entertainment value, practicality, esthetic attractiveness) raises the chances that a finder will find something of some sort of subjective value. Combine an action figure with a stone egg. Bandaids with a Spider-man bandana. Smoke detectors with rubber snakes.

I'm looking for ideas for a cache that would appeal to adults. Not sexual items. More like house hold items. Most of the caches i find now and days is just a bunch of kids toys, so i would like to create one that an adult would find more appealing. So your suggestions please.

the caches here are filled with kid toys too.

I think it's because people don't want that kind of junk so they get rid of it.

The adult items are taken quickly. ;)

The adult items are taken quickly. ;)

....... and therein lies the major problem.

We put a good mix of adult and child oriented swag.

The adult stuff disappears very quickly, (never replaced with similar adult swag, and the cache rapidly fills up with low-end goodies.

We find ourselves doing maintenance runs much more frequently since we started putting quality adult swag in our caches.

newbie here...i just found 2 last night and put a roll of the new buffalo nickles in each...i to am trying hard to think of good, usefull items to place...but thought this would be a good start until i stock up on tools and such.

oh yeah...i was waiting for an explanation of the hamster and raw clams...

mike

mike

Hey there 1trueamerican! I believe you did the Robin Hill Cache just after us, so welcome to Geocaching in SWPA!

Although I'm not a prolific poster, I do know the lore behind the hamster references. It seems my friend Tonsil had once non-chalantly mentioned that he had been placing live hamsters in caches in the area. As can be expected, his brand of sarcasm wasn't apparent to some, and thoughts of calling PETA ensued.

Lep can perhaps explain it better, as I'm sure he was more witness to the mayhem...but there be your origins of hamsteresque swag.

Now clams, I find intriguing. Especially if they are breaking into hydrocaches. Pesky critters.

mike

Hey there 1trueamerican! I believe you did the Robin Hill Cache just after us, so welcome to Geocaching in SWPA!

Although I'm not a prolific poster, I do know the lore behind the hamster references. It seems my friend Tonsil had once non-chalantly mentioned that he had been placing live hamsters in caches in the area. As can be expected, his brand of sarcasm wasn't apparent to some, and thoughts of calling PETA ensued.

Lep can perhaps explain it better, as I'm sure he was more witness to the mayhem...but there be your origins of hamsteresque swag.

Now clams, I find intriguing. Especially if they are breaking into hydrocaches. Pesky critters.

yeah...just learning this geocaching thing...finally found the robin hill cache... :blink: ...i just needed to see how somethings were hidden...i have had a gpsr for work for 2 yrs....learned more about the equipment in 1 month than i did the past 2 yrs... <_<

will be taking my son, the mattman, with me on some of these...trying to teach him about the outdoors and such...

what is that you use for the logbook? a stamp with green ink?

mike

We've been dropping the yellow Lance Armstrong Livestrong bracelets in caches (directly from the LanceArmstrong Foundation $1 each)- they're nearly always taken by the next cacher. That and bison tubes (from IMS surplus also $1) they generally go pretty fast. I also have a local source for DeCon cans ($1) I leave them in larger caches, and they're ALWAYS taken. I've even had one turn up as a new cache in the area, so I'm real happy.

I just got out to check one of my more popular caches and, as usual, the primo swag I placed last October has run down to misc. junk. It's near the end of the caching season here (for the longer hiking caches), so I'll restock again next fall.

Edited by Isonzo Karst