Leave Something For Geocoin Taken

George & Christina

A newbie question, to make sure I understand the rules of the game: You visit a cache, take 1 trade item away, and leave 1 trade item of your own in the cache. Then you also take a geocoin from the cache. Is this the normal practice? Is it more courteous, or even required, to leave 2 trade items behind, one for the geocoin and one for the trade item taken?

It is of course understood that you do not get to keep the geocoin, it must continue its journey into another cache as any TB. I've had a friendly dispute with a geocacher as to whether I should have left one or two items behind in his cache, and I'd like to understand the rules and proper etiquette on this issue.

Many thanks !

A newbie question, to make sure I understand the rules of the game: You visit a cache, take 1 trade item away, and leave 1 trade item of your own in the cache.  Then you also take a geocoin from the cache.  Is this the normal practice?  Is it more courteous, or even required, to leave 2 trade items behind, one for the geocoin and one for the trade item taken?

It is of course understood that you do not get to keep the geocoin, it must continue its journey into another cache as any TB.  I've had a friendly dispute with a geocacher as to whether I should have left one or two items behind in his cache, and I'd like to understand the rules and proper etiquette on this issue.

Many thanks !

I think as long as you can help it towards its goal than go ahead and take it.

Travelbugs and Geocoins aren't regular trade items since they are met to keep moving and a trade item is meant to be kept.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Eric K

Travel bugs are not trade items. So you can take them with no trade and move them on to their goals, or at least another cache.

Geocoins however can be either swag, or a travel bug and so for one you trade and for the other you don't. It depends on the coin, if it's got a tracking number and if that number has been activated or not. My coins are swag. My future coins will be swag. Moun10bike coins are both swag and travel bugs.

Coins being both add a level of complexity to the game since you may not be able to tell just by looking if the coin you found is swag or a traveler. Someday someone will set up a website with both the coin pics and the info on the swag or tb or both status of coins. If a coin has no tracking number on it at all, it's a fairly safe bet it's something you can trade for. If it does have a tracking number then you won't be sure because some coins have sequence numbers like 001, 002 etc. that are there for collectability reasons and are not tracking numbers. Meanwhile others will be. We need that definitive coin site!

Edited by Renegade Knight