Add A Waypoint To The Log??

Lizzy

It lets you add a set of coordinates that you recorded on your GPSr when you were there. Typically this is only done if you discover the posted coordinates are say 30+ feet different from where your GPSr puts you.

I will also do it if micros seem to be off more than 15 feet and I'm willing to take the time to get a good set of new coordinates and I have good conditions..

Edited by Thot

It puts the coordinates you input in bold at the top of your log. It's a way of second-guessing the hider if you think the published coords are way off. Of course, you can input coords manually in the body of your post, if you like. Once or twice, I've managed to find a cache with another finder's coords that I couldn't with the hider's coords.

I've never had the gall to do it, though, even when I was pretty sure the original coords weren't very good. It seems presumptuous :blink:

I've never had the gall to do it, though, even when I was pretty sure the original coords weren't very good. It seems presumptuous  :blink:

Hmm . . . I don’t see it that way. I simply see it as a second opinion. I do it fairly often. It seems like a courtesy to other cachers. When I do it I usually say something like

My GPSr put me XX feet from the cache.  I never know if my coordinates are better than the posted coordinates, but I’m including them in case someone who's about to give up would like to try them.
Edited by Thot
It lets you add a set of coordinates that you recorded on your GPSr when you were there. Typically this is only done if you discover the posted coordinates are say 30+ feet different from where your GPSr puts you.

While the coordinate feature has a number of uses, I believe it's primary purpose was for Locationless caches.

If I think the posted coords are off enough that it causes a problem for searchers, I sometimes post my own coords. I also like to compare my coords with those of other cachers, especially in those locations where GPS reception is sketchy. Some folks think posting coords is a slap at the cache owner, but then some are ALWAYS looking for ANY reason to be offended. :blink:

Here’s one person’s view on adding coordinates. This is part of his cache description:

If you think the coordinates are off please do not post your own. . . . If you do post your own I will delete your find.

This is his first cache. It was approved today.

Edited by Thot