Update On 2005 Tb Race To Cape Town

Africard

Hi,

Unfortunately not much geocaching activity in the EC of late. I will be travelling to the Cape later this month and I plan to take the TB in van Staden's Flower Power with me. Provided that it has not been helped along, before my trip date. I can take Stealth Racer along as well, but there is one problem. <_<

I have already found Dodd's Farm and as a rule do not visit a successful find again. If somebody could move your TB to van Staden's Flower Power then I will take it with me when doing cache maintenance, prior to my trip. :blink:

good luck!

Edited by perdix

The Race is in it's fourth month and has exceeded all my expectations. Thanks to all the participants, sponsors and cachers so eagerly helping our TB's in getting to the final cache.

I've included some statistics on the update page, which will also be updated with every movement of the TB's.

The rankings did not change over the weekend, however there are a couple of TB's "In the hands of xxx" and we are waiting for them to reach new caches...

Hello All!

Three TB's made a move out of KZN towards the final cache over the weekend - Earth Watcher, The Globe Trotter and Star Light. Paper Kings is still leading (although I don't expect this trend to continue for long... :laughing: ) I've published a lot of interesting stats on The Race. thus far we have had 109 racing days, and the TB's that entered late is doing extremely well.

Only Paper Kings is still very close to the start 16.9km, Dan Dolphin is just 1.4km away from the final cache!

At this stage, TUFULA seems most likely to win (if he completes the race....hmmmm), but other TB's are catching up fast.

Here is a really shoddy map of South Africa with the race participants. If the TB is in someones possession, then it's displayed from it's last known coordinates. Star Light is hiding behind The Globe Trotter (sorry, no time to fix that just yet.)

racemap20April05.jpg

Its amazing what you can do in five minutes with Print Screen and Photoshop :laughing:

Note: This is the map as of 20 April 2005 and might not be up to date at the time you view it.

Edited by AE_Rodney

Nothing definate yet, but we intend visiting Bloemfontein over the Workers Day weekend (1 May) and any travel bugs still in the area would be collected and brought to Gauteng for some Highveld activity.

Question: Is is ok for a cahcer to visit a cache more than once to collect items such as travel bugs, i.e. we have already done N1 Sandriver, but would like to collect the travel bug if it is still there?

What about collect placing and retrieving a travel bug immediately from a cache again?

Question: Is is ok for a cahcer to visit a cache more than once to collect items such as travel bugs, i.e. we have already done N1 Sandriver, but would like to collect the travel bug if it is still there?

I am also battling with this question. My gut feel says no, so I have never visited the same cache twice. No real reason for it other than the fact that it will scew the statistics (more visits and maybe another find for me).

I suppose one can log your 2nd, 3rd.... visits as a "note" rather than a "found it" log, which will then not add another find to your score, but will still add another visit to the cache.

I need to resolve this inner conflict quickly, as I am burning to pick up Stealth Racer in a cache nearby, which I have already visited prior to his arrival!

What is the general concensus on this issue?

I recon you can visit a cache as many times as you want, just log only one find. I have visited many caches a second time to pick up TBs, and I don't post a note (unless dropping off), since I record that I picked up the bug. I recon this all that's needed, since the actual listing does stay up to date and my score doesn't go up unfairly. Hope this helps. Also, visiting caches a second time means that I can spend more Geocaching.

I eventually convinced myself that it is OK to visit a cache twice. Afterall, this time, I have the noble cause of helping Stealth Racer along. So, of I go late this afternoon to find the cache - only to get there and being pipped to the post. Stealth Racer has been rescued by a new cacher!! Good news for Stealth Racer, but now no more noble cause for me.

What the heck, took 808 Racer anyway. Will help it along in it's race.

Now that the ice is broken, I will visit any cache I please, and as often as I please:)

Hi!

Not sure what others think, but I don't see anything wrong with visiting a cache more than once, as long as you log subsequent finds as a note rather than a "found it" so as not to skew your stats. There is a cache near me that I visit quite often, as it is often visited by out-of-town geocachers and is thus a good spot to leave TBs that want to go overseas.

-XV

and I don't post a note (unless dropping off),

You should post a note regardless if you visit a cache. This gives the cache owner and other cachers a note that someone has visited the cache and that all is still in order. Collecting a TB from a cache without posting a note is..... well.... :ph34r: impolite :D

Perdix, thanks for the crusade. I really appreciate it and hope you enjoyed the day out...it is still within reach...

Agree with you all - no problem visiting more than once, as long as you post a note for the visit. :ph34r::D Done it a couple of times with my dad...

and I don't post a note (unless dropping off),

You should post a note regardless if you visit a cache. This gives the cache owner and other cachers a note that someone has visited the cache and that all is still in order. Collecting a TB from a cache without posting a note is..... well.... :lol: impolite :D

Ok, I'll start doing that, I know as a cache owner it's nice to know what is going on, and it doesn't take much effort to post a note.

Been away for the long weekend...this is the latest update

Paper Kings is slowly losing ground to the faster TB's, but is still leading...

The rankings did not change, but TB Voice Of Africa is spreading the news at a tremendous rate and thus increasing chances of winning!

TB Dan Dolphin is still closest to the final cache - only 1.4km away.

The Race stats changed a lot over the last week.

****Warthog: To answer your q: It is OK to visit a cache more than once, especially to pick-up a TB. For The Race, provided you obeserve the stated rules, you can pick-up and place a TB on the same day.

Edited by Africard

I would like to point to our esteem Race Ruler, a.k.a. Africard, that rule 15 states the following:

15. Geocachers picking up TB's will be requested to only take one TB per visit. Although this rule might be violated, a player will not be penalised (unless rule 14 applies). The geocacher will be notified and requested to drop the TB's off in different caches.

On this, my question is, Does "per visit" mean per visit to a single cache? and may I have more than one race TB in my possession at any one time, collected from different caches, i.e. I am still looking at visiting Bloem (could not make it over past long weekend) shortly and hope to collect all three TBs in the area. These would then be brought to Jhb and dropped of in three different caches.

and then on to Rule 14:

14. A TB is not allowed to make multiple hops assisted by the same geocacher -  that is logged in and out of a cache by the same geocacher for consecutive hops -  distance travelled will be deducted from the final distance travelled.

Does this rule allow the same cacher to collect the same TB more than once?, i.e. Warthog collects and drop off TB "Whatshisname" in cache A, another cacher collects TB whatshisname from cache A and then drops it off in cache B, now Warthog collects TB Whatshisname from cache B and move it along to cache C.

Does this rule allow the same cacher to collect the same TB more than once?, i.e. Warthog collects and drop off TB "Whatshisname" in cache A, another cacher collects TB whatshisname from cache A and then drops it off in cache B, now Warthog collects TB Whatshisname from cache B and move it along to cache C.

Warthog this is correct. You may collect (all) the TB's from a single cache and drop them off in different caches, or as in the case mentioned from multiple caches and then drop them off in (preferably) different caches. If you picked them up, you can only assist in dropping them off in cache A (and if applicable W and X). If another cacher picked the TB up from where you dropped it off (A, W or X), and it is in reach of yourself again after being dropped in B (and if applicable Y or Z) , you are welcome to aid the TB again.

Refer to case file for KZN TB Hotel, where 3 TB's ended up, all assited by a cacher to their current locations (i.e. Bloem), or the travel log for TB TUFULA that visited a couple of caches assited by two cachers alternating picking up and dropping off....

As I am not in control of cachers activities, I will only enforce rule 14 hard, but politely request to apply rule 15.

Hope this answers your question....

Here's to the 2006 race.

Well done indeed!! (link has been added to "In the News")

As for 2006.... Africard pipped me to the post by a few days in 2005, so I promised to run one in 2006 which will release later on, assuming I don't get pipped again :mad:

Edited by GlobalRat