Oops. How To Log A Subscriber-only Cache

I don't visit the forums a great deal, and I'm rather surprise at the hoo-ha MO caches has created. My personal story: I joined as non-member, did lots of caches, loved it. Then I heard about MO caches, became a PM and I was disappointed that there were only two more caches for me to do in my area and felt that I wasted money on very little extra value. (That feeling has changed, however - I have discovered just how useful the PQs are).

I plan to place a fair number of MO caches in the future, solely as a protection measure for the caches, but I personally would have no problem whatsoever about a non-member logging a find.

It seems like the loopholes have been closed.

As explained in the thread cited in post #40, the 'loophole' was closed in error. It is expected to be 'reopened' soon.

That's good to hear. I made my son log in a bunch of caches this weekend. He was behind in logging, and he came to me today saying that he couldn't log MOC's. Glad to hear that will be fixed.

I was at an event yesterday where the event was for all but the caches (10) we found along the route we walked were all premium member caches .

I walked, I found them and when I finally decide to sign up for Premium membership I will log the caches but not before.

Whats the problem if you want to log a PM cache become a PM

I was at an event yesterday where the event was for all but the caches (10) we found along the route we walked were all premium member caches .

I walked, I found them and when I finally decide to sign up for Premium membership I will log the caches but not before.

:D:D

If you had looked...you would see that...

I AM A PREIUM MEMBER!!!

However comma I am not going to pay for two memberships...so my family can log pm caches.

PPS There is another loophole that still works.

While your choice, I can't see why. Once the logging is fixed again you would not have to wait. MOC's, as stated by GC, are to prevent viewing only. I presume that is for the few misguided individuals who mistakenly believe it somehow protects a cache from being muggled. Even now there are still ways to log them.

Log away.

This is a very interesting thread...a few months ago a group of us went on an excursion to an island to grab some of the caches there. Most of the caches there were MOC caches so we didn't think she'd be able to log them (didn't realize that until after the fact). She was there and she did sign the physical logs. With all the bushwhacking, sandbars, lack of facilities to use on the island...she should get credit for those finds as well.

I can see both sides of this coin...subscriber only vs. non subscriber. I would agree that a cache that is MOC only does not "prevent" a cache from being muggled. As a cache owner, I want all cachers to have the opportunity to find our caches and we hope that others take their friends to show them the sport and maybe they'll become cachers too. The premium membership offers many nice feature including but not limited to the PQ's, bookmarks, notifications, etc so it is not limited to JUST logging subscriber only caches.

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread...hopefully others will too. :anibad:

The premium membership offers many nice feature including but not limited to the PQ's, bookmarks, notifications, etc so it is not limited to JUST logging subscriber only caches.

Actually as far as I know you can't log a premium member only cache unless someone who is a premium member helps them log it.

StaticTank

The premium membership offers many nice feature including but not limited to the PQ's, bookmarks, notifications, etc so it is not limited to JUST logging subscriber only caches.

Actually as far as I know you can't log a premium member only cache unless someone who is a premium member helps them log it.

StaticTank

If you know the secret handshake a member can log a PMOC.

Jim

I do support Geocaching.com. I am a premium member. I got it for the PQ feature!

I don't have premium channels on my TV (or non-premium channels for that matter) as finances are tight. I don't eat out much at all. Expenses do add up and I have to be careful with every penny! I enjoy Geocaching partially because it is not a money intensive sport! And it gets me out of the house and into nature. I purchased a used GPS for my oldest as a Christmas gift (it was instead of something else he would have gotten) so as to share the sport with him.

I like to take my kids out with me and have gotten some of the MOC (because that is where I wanted to go) and my son would like to log the find as well. He was so disappointed when he couldn't, he didn't want to go out with me. So then I was avoiding them when he was with me. Now that I know he can log them, we can keep going out looking for the caches that I have run a PQ on.

Running the PQ's have got to be taxing on the system. So I agree that you should pay for them. My boy does not run PQ's or have a need too. As he gets older, I am sure he will want to become a Premium member at some point. For now, I am glad for the ability to log the MOC's.

I appreciate the creators of Geocaching.com very much. Thanks so much for maintaining the site and making the sport enjoyable.

Indy-bikes

Edited by indy-bikes

If someone found one of my caches and couldnt log it because I had it marked as Premium Members Only and they contacted me, I would be nice enough to change the listing for them to log.

Plus the main reason any of my caches are PMO is because I am currently away from the area. Decided now that the weather is cold and wet again maybe I'll change the PMO status.

I think you shouldnt be such tightar$e$ and should be able to afford the few bucks a week to be a member....

and thus, have full access to the M.O.C's as well!

So, Donald, have you purchased a membership for Mum (Daisy) and each of the five kids then?

The workaround is left there for families like yours, as much as anything else--so that you won't have to purchase 7 memberships just so the wee ones can log a MOC they find with you. Does the youngest really need his/her own set of PQs?

thats why there should be a "family membership" for like $50 and locked to their isp to prevent abuse.

I'm am thankful of this loophole in GC.com, as long as people do not abuse it.

Without insulting regular members, I chose to set a couple of my caches as member-only because of the amount of effort I put into building the caches.

After several weeks after publishing, I removed the member-only restriction on my two MO caches, as the location and terrain seems to filter out cachers with poor discipline.

Recently, my aunt has become addicted to geocaching. She is a regular member, but goes with me on day trips (she doesn't drive). As I am a premium member, I usually use my account to find the caches we are going to hunt for on a trip.

I a recent trip, we found a cache that I didn't realise was a MO cache. With this loophole, my aunt was able to log the find (as she did find the cache).

Thanks again for this hidden ability built into GC.com <_<

I think you shouldnt be such tightar$e$ and should be able to afford the few bucks a week to be a member....

and thus, have full access to the M.O.C's as well!

So, Donald, have you purchased a membership for Mum (Daisy) and each of the five kids then?

The workaround is left there for families like yours, as much as anything else--so that you won't have to purchase 7 memberships just so the wee ones can log a MOC they find with you. Does the youngest really need his/her own set of PQs?

thats why there should be a "family membership" for like $50 and locked to their isp to prevent abuse.

then what about those that use the comp at home but there phone in the field. when they get in the field they would have to use PQ's to get the info instead of going straight to the page in the browser on there phone.

also to the its only a few bucks ppl.. tell that to someone like me who had to save for 5 months just to get a cheap garmin, or have a couple kids and lose your job and see it it seems like "ONLY" a couple bucks.. i enjoy this game alot as i know no one due to x-relationships driving/scaring everyone i knew away and definately would love to be PM but alas even a few bucks is expensive..

glad though that i can log a MoC if i make some pm caching friends in the area. thanks for the loophole so the poor can claim MoC finds too ;) .

though when my fortunes get better i do plan on becvomeing a pm dont get me wrong, but...

Edited by KeeperOfTheMist

also to the its only a few bucks ppl.. tell that to someone like me who had to save for 5 months just to get a cheap garmin, or have a couple kids and lose your job and see it it seems like "ONLY" a couple bucks.. i enjoy this game alot as i know no one due to x-relationships driving/scaring everyone i knew away and definately would love to be PM but alas even a few bucks is expensive..

glad though that i can log a MoC if i make some pm caching friends in the area. thanks for the loophole so the poor can claim MoC finds too :signalviolin: .

though when my fortunes get better i do plan on becvomeing a pm dont get me wrong, but...

This thread is pretty old but its an age old topic.

I know loads of unemployed (and pensioners) who are premium members because of the added functionality it offers.

Loads of people have been in broken relationships, out of work etc etc and still managed to find the few bucks for the premium membership, just as you would find it for a bus fare, cigarettes, alcohol, petrol, clothing, your power bill, food etc etc.

It really is not that difficult to justify a very slight cut back on something in your personal circumstances budget.

It is REALLY just a case of "those who can will, and those who cant wont".

Like I said, everyone (unless from a 3rd world country) will always have SOMETHING that they can cut or reduce to justify the payment but it is a matter of prioritys and values.

Some see the Premium membership as something that they should not have to pay for, yet OTHERS see it as something that offers them value, whilst contributing to the costs of running a game which wouldnt exist without premium membership and store related sales to pay for the site hosting and development of the game.

EVERYTHING comes at a cost, and NOTHING is EVER FREE because SOMEONE, somewhere has had to pay for it.

With the costs of living these days, even just things like bread, milk, petrol, electricity, it doesnt take much to save the cost of the premium membership....................

In March 2009 I managed to badly tear my leg muscles, got DVT, placed on blood thinning medications, and as a result of my not being able to work for 6mths I lost my job, but we still have our family of 11 to maintain.

Our premium membership ran out and we really did not have the $ to renew our membership, so we had to let it lapse for a while until we could manage the $ to pay for it again. It was only a month or so that it was out for, but we reduced our expenditure on a few household items and paid our premium membership again.

I am so sick of seeing this debate refreshed because as I said, there is always going to be those who DO and those who WONT, but remember that if everyone couldnt scrape those "few $$" together, then this site probably would not exist, and the game would be localised to a few people playing it in their city or town, and WOULD NOT have become the international sport/game that it is now!

Three quick thoughts:

1. Why do people bump these old topics?

2. It is not appropriate to tell those who's budget cannot afford premium membership that they can. I suspect that most of us, at one time in our lives, could not afford to spend any amount of money on non-essentials. If you haven't been in this financial situation, good for you.

3. Eleven???

Edited by sbell111
Three quick thoughts:

1. Why do people bump these old topics?

2. It is not appropriate to tell those who's budget cannot afford premium membership that they can. I suspect that most of us, at one time in our lives, could not afford to spend any amount of money on non-essentials. If you haven't been in this financial situation, good for you.

3. Eleven???

1. not too sure, I guess some just dont look a the date of the last post, or feel they have something to add to the topic

2. Anyone who says they cant trim some "fat" from SOMETHING in their budget is either dead, has no incentive/desire to, or is just all talk and no action.

3. Yes 11 in total. 2 adults, 9 children. (Pm me if you would like to know more)

My friends have 14 kids, all their own too, all living with them, and the family do geocaching as a premium member team too! They said that to afford the premium membership they just trimmed some fat from their household budget too.

1. not too sure, I guess some just dont look a the date of the last post, or feel they have something to add to the topic

2. Anyone who says they cant trim some "fat" from SOMETHING in their budget is either dead, has no incentive/desire to, or is just all talk and no action.

3. Yes 11 in total. 2 adults, 9 children. (Pm me if you would like to know more)

My friends have 14 kids, all their own too, all living with them, and the family do geocaching as a premium member team too! They said that to afford the premium membership they just trimmed some fat from their household budget too.

1. Users just can't win. They start a new subject and everyone says to use the search function. They reply to an existing and this happens.

2. Setting you arrogance aside, no one has to offer why they choose not to become premium members. Logging MoCs is open to all. The back door is not there by accident and has purposely been left in place. Use the search function.

3. Now that you have mentioned it several times, why does anyone care how many kids you have? If it matters, I have 3 in college, two American Mastiffs, HD cable, the KISS box set and favorite color is blue. Hope this somehow now clarifies both our positions.

1. Users just can't win. They start a new subject and everyone says to use the search function. They reply to an existing and this happens.

2. Setting you arrogance aside, no one has to offer why they choose not to become premium members. Logging MoCs is open to all. The back door is not there by accident and has purposely been left in place. Use the search function.

3. Now that you have mentioned it several times, why does anyone care how many kids you have? If it matters, I have 3 in college, two American Mastiffs, HD cable, the KISS box set and favorite color is blue. Hope this somehow now clarifies both our positions.

Baloo: yes users cant win, been there done that, started new threads, bumped old ones cause I thought they were relevant, and got in trouble.

Arrogance? I never asked anyone for any justification, merely said that everyone could find some fat to trim IF THEY WANTED TO.

And #3 was a reply to SBELL, who if you had read the post previous to mine, said "eleven???". Most people dont belive when a person says that they have more than 4 or 6 kids :blink:

At least your taste in music and fav colour is both good :blink: between our 5 free commercial TV stations we get more than enough TV shows, no need for payTV here! :blink:

So I went caching out of my normal caching area.

I took a local newbie cacher with me. She is brand new to caching, so we used my GPS. We found a few caches during the day, and both signed the logs in the caches.

When I got home to log my finds, I see one that we found was a "subscriber-only" cache. I am a subscriber, so the cache was loaded into my GPS. I didn't even realize it was a MOC.

How can she log her find online? Sucks that she found it (I made her do all the work including locating the area and finding the actual cache) and she can't even see the cache page to log it.

Ed

I am a member and yet I can not get a MOC (GC1MCVP). The error msg states that I am not logged on and this cache for members only. I am logged on and also a member.

SOTSMAN

Are you currently a premium member? Your profile seems to indicate it is. If so, try logging out, then logging back in. If that doesn't work, restart browser. If that still doesn't work, delete all Groundspeak / geocaching.com cookies and clear the cache, then restart browser, and try again.

If all that, and trying on another machine, still doesn't work, it could be an account issue - gotta check with Groundspeak for that.

Are you currently a premium member? Your profile seems to indicate it is. If so, try logging out, then logging back in. If that doesn't work, restart browser. If that still doesn't work, delete all Groundspeak / geocaching.com cookies and clear the cache, then restart browser, and try again.

If all that, and trying on another machine, still doesn't work, it could be an account issue - gotta check with Groundspeak for that.

If none of that works, stand on your head, rub your belly and wiggle your toes. That always works for me. :)