Signs

And mineral water can filter through rocks for thousands of years, but still has a best before date on the bottle...

There's a good reason for that: mineral water contains a certain, very small, amount of bacteria, and they multiply...

If you worry about this sort of thing (and if you habitually drink mineral water instead of tap, you probably do), you might want to do some research on what the health&safety people turn up in bottled water, particularly after it's been sitting outdoors in a warehouse yard for a few months.

See for example here. Disclaimer: I have no idea if these people have an "agenda". Discussions about mineral water tends to split the chattering-and-chatting classes into those who think tap water is poisoning them, and those who think shipping water 1000km in bottles by road is environmentally unfriendly and causes pollution, which is poisoning them.

"Bacteria" as a whole (Kingdom) are not bad. Like people, it is the few that give the many a bad name. You'd probably find that most if not all bacteria present in a bottle of drinking water would have a life expectancy of, oh, about 3 seconds once they have entered the hosile environment that is your gut. In the good old days (say a million years ago or so) we had to deal with far worse things than this when we ate or drank: our digestive system and intestinal microflora are pretty well adapted for it...

As an aside, and to perhaps put this into perspective, note that the number of bacterial cells in your gut outnumber your total number of human cells by a factor of somewhere around ten to one...

A few weeks ago I was in a taxi in Shanghai, which had a notice of the conditions of carriage in both Chinese and English. Item 2 says:

"Passengers are not allowed to carry with them contraband goods, smoke, spit or to dump inside taxis. Psychos or drunkards without guardians are prohibited to take taxis."

I do have a photo, but it is not clear enough to post, I am afraid.

There is a road sign used in Ireland to warn of an open quayside where, as may be logical, cars could fall into the water.

It's always been self-explainatory to me, but for some reason my friends from overseas think it's hilarious. I'll let you all decide.

An example of this sign can be found in Baltimore, County Cork.

(edited for bad link)

Edited by klaus23

Seen a few on my travels but never had a camera with me. One of my favourites is a small town just outside Trondheim, Norway called Hell! The sign on the way out of town wishes you a pleasant journey...ironically the Norwegian translation is "Gods expedition - Hell" The local train station also stamps passports so I have documentary evidence that I have actually been to Hell and back!

A few weeks ago I was in a taxi in Shanghai, which had a notice of the conditions of carriage in both Chinese and English. Item 2 says:

"Passengers are not allowed to carry with them contraband goods, smoke, spit or to dump inside taxis. Psychos or drunkards without guardians are prohibited to take taxis."

I do have a photo, but it is not clear enough to post, I am afraid.

That's very similar to the notices in taxis in Luton :ph34r:<_<:blink:

using the image button, the picture needs to be on the web somewhere.

so:

upload the image to the web (your homepage/website, or a cache/ gallery page) or go to the website if it's already on one

on the website, right click the image and select 'properties'

select the htp://mysite.com/myfolder/mypic.jpg bit and copy

then paste that into the box which pops up when you click the img button on the post reply page

Hope this helps

Edited by NickPick
That didn't work then.

Oh how I wish I was clever like wot sum of u's lot on ere r.

All you need is the link of the photo.

Then, in your post, click the IMG button once, paste in your link, and the script is written into your post for you :ph34r:

I know where the photo is, it's in My pctures in My documents.

Sending it to a web site and getting a photo slot or what ever sounds complicated. I don't think I'll bother. <_<

HOLDUP! I posted a picture of my stamp that I had made. Now how did I do that?

I didn't send that all over the world. :)

I think I had better go and have a lay down for a while. This is doing my head in. :blink:

using the image button, the picture needs to be on the web somewhere.

so:

upload the image to the web (your homepage/website, or a cache/ gallery page) or go to the website if it's already on one

on the website, right click the image and select 'properties'

select the htp://mysite.com/myfolder/mypic.jpg bit and copy

then paste that into the box which pops up when you click the img button on the post reply page

Hope this helps

Why can't people speak proper english like wot I does or like this.

I cdnuot blveiee taht I cluod aulacity uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas touhght slpeling was ipmorantt.

There is a road sign used in Ireland to warn of an open quayside where, as may be logical, cars could fall into the water.

It's always been self-explainatory to me, but for some reason my friends from overseas think it's hilarious. I'll let you all decide.

An example of this sign can be found in Baltimore, County Cork.

(edited for bad link)

Can anyone explain why overseas persons find it funny?!

This is the UK equivalent

sign125.gif

Why can't people speak proper english like wot I does or like this.

I do apologise, I did try not to make it too technical or difficult to read.

HOLDUP! I posted a picture of my stamp that I had made. Now how did I do that?

I didn't send that all over the world. :blink:

You did that by changing your avatar.

An easy(ish) way to get a photo online is to add it to your gallery. You can do this by adding a note to one of your caches, uploading a photo. That'll put the photo on Groundspeak's server, and you can find the photo properties and copy the link to it.

I think I had better go and have a lay down for a while. This is doing my head in. <_<

That sounds like a good idea for a friday afternoon!

100_2677.JPG100_2671.JPG

I realize this is the UK forum, but is that Devil's Lake, North Dakota, USA? If not, there's an amazing similarity between these pics and a friend's property - he used to have a house there but the water has risen over the last 15 years and completely flooded it now. This same sign was down the road a bit and we always had a laugh over it on the way to visit. Looks actually like far too many trees to be North Dakota.

Can anyone explain why overseas persons find it funny?!

This is the UK equivalent

I was thinking more of my friends from Germany and the US - after all, most Irish road signs were modelled on the British ones anyway.

I still can't see the funny side either? <_<

I think it only looks funny the very first time you ever see it. The Irish one doesn't look funny to me, because I've seen the British one so often.

I just tested it on my kids. Alex (5) says it looks "cool", and Antonia (3) says it looks "silly". So no laughs there, then...

I can see the humor. To me it just seems like a very English sort of thing, to have a sign like that. It's like the "Mind The Gap" stuff in the London underground - I got a shirt last time I was there and people here in Seattle find that hilarious.

The thing I most remember most about driving around Seattle is the fact that many of the road signs are actually AFTER the junction you should have taken, maybe they should have been prefixed with 'too late' and suffixed with 'You shudda gone thataway!' and the directions for the best place for a U turn!

Consequently I got to see a lot more of Seattle trying to find the best place to make a U turn!

Oh, make no mistake, I'm under no illusions that our local roads, signs, or drivers are any better than those drive-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-road folks on the other side of the pond. I could show you a place locally where the speed limit changes three times in 300 feet, and I have a very, very low opinion of local drivers.

There is a road sign used in Ireland to warn of an open quayside where, as may be logical, cars could fall into the water. It's always been self-explainatory to me, but for some reason my friends from overseas think it's hilarious. I'll let you all decide.
I can think of two possible reasons:

1. They live too far from the coast and have no idea that the land might not go on for ever.

2. He's fallen in the water (see my member name - ignore if you don't know the Goon Show scripts!)

I realize this is the UK forum, but is that Devil's Lake, North Dakota, USA?

It's definitely the USA. The double yellow lines are a bit of a giveaway.

There were many examples of redundant signs in the States as I recall. One of my favourites was near Sugar Land Texas. Unfortunately I don't have a pic but the sign was pointing to the local library and, just in case, they had included a picture of someone reading a book.

Another one was a note on the back of a tin of canned potatoes:

WARNING! Potatoes are not gauranteed to be of the same size and shape

Regards,

Martin