Signs

I've got one...

Before you read this, I am not poking fun at people in wheelchairs, but more at people who feel the need to make their own roadsigns, which happens on an alarming basis in Ireland. Most of them are to draw attention to children at play, which is reasonable, but I know of several locations where locals have put up their own speed limit signs.

The reflection on the Council is very poor, as a) they're not listening to their constituents, and <_< they're not organised enough to take down what amount to illegal roadsigns.

Nevertheless, this one was taken, in the middle of nowhere, at night, between Loughrea and Portumna, a road so quiet that it is perfectly safe to get out of your car and take a photo of the sign. Note the singular use of the word 'wheelchair'.

dscf00842es.th.jpg

I've always thought that one was Photoshopped.  The third "F" looks suspiciously long.

I've thought that too, but it seems "touched up" rather than faked. A few of the other letters are worn. I've seen another farmer perhaps copy this, he wrote "Crows are b****ds" on his silage bales.

There's an "amusing" photo of Carol Vorderman on Countdown standing in front of a collection of letters which spell out something "not at all family-friendly".  But apparently that was faked.

I was watching it a couple of weeks ago and an 8 year old boy, first word out, spelt "FARTED". Later, he beat the other kid's 5 with a 7 for "FANNIES". <_<

From what I've been told, he's the reigning kids champion and has beaten the adult champ - but that could be hearsay.

(edited for wrong quote)

Edited by klaus23
I've always thought that one was Photoshopped. The third "F" looks suspiciously long.

There's an "amusing" photo of Carol Vorderman on Countdown standing in front of a collection of letters which spell out something "not at all family-friendly". But apparently that was faked.

there was the time both the competitors gor the same 7 letter anagram of SWANKER, and Twice Nightly s***ely Whitely declared them to be a pair of SWANKER

At the site of 'The Last Folly' (or similar - it's between Oxford and Swindon) cache there used to be a sign saying 'People committing suicide from this tower do so at their own risk'. Quality. Clearly an eccentric builder (well, it is a 20th century folly) with a great dark sense of humour :anicute: I wonder if the sign is still there?

SP

I remembered this shot I took of an old girlfriend and an interesting sign with a story 'behind' it...

She doesn't look old to me!

As for the Secret Nuclear Bunker, that is a tourist attraction in Essex, not far from all the Epping Forest Caches.

This cache is linked to the attraction.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ad-b0419f8111a9

Edited by Learned Gerbil

Just outside the entrance to a prison in Northern Ireland, there's a sign which says (very sternly) that "Taking photographs of this sign is prohibited."

It goes on to list severe penalties for anyone caught doing so. (A spell in the gaol itself isn't one of them.)

I don't have a picture of it to post here, for obvious reasons.

-Wlw

I photographed this one on the way up to Walker Dan's 'Rookhope Windings' cache. Best if you stick to the footpath, I guess.

rookhope.jpg

Also up that way, there's a footpath that utilises the old railway line that crosses Howngills Viaduct. It's VERY high and in the middle, theres a sign inviting you to ring The Samaritans first :blink:

There is one in a childrens playground in Ireland. A friend of mine used to live right by it. The sign said "DO NOT THROW STONES AT THIS SIGN" :blink:

We need to know where! ;)

you've got to go a long way to beat. "contains nuts" on the side of a packet of peanuts.

Which major UK Supermarket sold a Tiramisu that read, on the bottom of the little tray, "Do Not Invert!"?

In theory. In reality, peanuts aren't actually nuts. IIRC it is a legume.

That reminds me a saying that I've heard Peter Kay say - "Knowledge is knowing that a Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad."

;)

There's a wee cabin in a valley in South Wales - right down at the end. The RAF fighter pilots from Valley (North Wales) used to use it for target practise when training young pilots. They'd fly up the valley and "release" their bombs, which actually took a photo to see how on target they were.

Obviously they used to rotate the buildings etc. they used as "targets". Anyhow, unbeknownst to them the shed was actually inhabited.

The station commander received the following letter one Christmas time.

--------------

"Dear Sir,

This is the third occaision I have had to write to you to request you steer clear of my property when 'buzzing' down the valleys. You're scaring my sheep and me witless.

After the lack of any action last two times, I took matters into my own hands and painted a message onto the top of my barn requesting your pilots keep away. Since then your obstreperous fly pasts have been near daily. I hope you will, etc. etc."

-----------------

And the message he had painted on top of his barn I hear you ask?

"F*&k-off Biggles"

Obviously once one of the instructors had found it - all of the students wanted to see it on their next bombing practise sortie...

you've got to go a long way to beat. "contains nuts" on the side of a packet of peanuts.

In theory. In reality, peanuts aren't actually nuts. IIRC it is a legume.

no-one likes a smarta%$e. :(

explain away "contents may be hot" on polystyrene coffee cups.

or to look at the situation from the other direction. sainsbury's do a non-dairy icecream which contains........whey powder ie. milk go figure!

On a recent trip to the New Forest in Hampshire I giggled when we spotted a sign saying

"Cemetery - Visitors Only" :laughing:

I do have a photo but techie husband overseas! :(

I think I saw the same sign. Was it near the 'Geocaching At it's Best' (sic) cache? I thought it just meant that only cemetery visitors were allowed to park in that area...

It all hangs on the hyphen...

Which major UK Supermarket sold a Tiramisu that read, on the bottom of the little tray, "Do Not Invert!"?

It's only like the message on the bottom of bottles of Guinness... "open other end"

The answer is, of course, Tesco's.

And cheers for resurrecting one of the oldest 'Irish' jokes in the world. :(

And mineral water can filter through rocks for thousands of years, but still has a best before date on the bottle...

There's a good reason for that: mineral water contains a certain, very small, amount of bacteria, and they multiply...

If you worry about this sort of thing (and if you habitually drink mineral water instead of tap, you probably do), you might want to do some research on what the health&safety people turn up in bottled water, particularly after it's been sitting outdoors in a warehouse yard for a few months.

See for example here. Disclaimer: I have no idea if these people have an "agenda". Discussions about mineral water tends to split the chattering-and-chatting classes into those who think tap water is poisoning them, and those who think shipping water 1000km in bottles by road is environmentally unfriendly and causes pollution, which is poisoning them.

Edited by sTeamTraen
And mineral water can filter through rocks for thousands of years, but still has a best before date on the bottle...

There's a good reason for that: mineral water contains a certain, very small, amount of bacteria, and they multiply...

If you worry about this sort of thing (and if you habitually drink mineral water instead of tap, you probably do), you might want to do some research on what the health&safety people turn up in bottled water, particularly after it's been sitting outdoors in a warehouse yard for a few months.

See for example here. Disclaimer: I have no idea if these people have an "agenda". Discussions about mineral water tends to split the chattering-and-chatting classes into those who think tap water is poisoning them, and those who think shipping water 1000km in bottles by road is environmentally unfriendly and causes pollution, which is poisoning them.

I have in the past conducted a series of tests on microbiological content of bottled and tap water as well as mineral contents, hardness etc. Tap water always contained the least number of bugs of the water tested. Hardness of water arround the country varies immensly from arround 50ppm to nearly 300ppm in some areas. This is why tea and coffe never taste the same when you are away from home.

Dasani (remember?) is so intensively filtered that they have to add minerals after processing so that the water tastes of something.

Edit to add Link to FSA website search for bottled water

Edited by markandlynn