Slower, Slower, Slower

ventura_kids

ack! <_<

the website (geocaching.com) has been getting slower and slower here on the California side of the world. :lol: I've given up on Sundays all together. :lol:

However, the forums are screaming fast. :ph34r: Thanks for fixing them.

One good thing... This gives me time to clean the house. thanks. :lol:

Edited by ventura_kids

Yeah, I'm having the same trouble. I'm getting a lot of "server too busy" messages today; the rest of the time it's verrrrrrrry sloooooooow. Yesterday was acceptable, last Sunday and today it's been terrible. I'm new to this and it's very discouraging. I would be willing to pay for premium membership if it meant faster access for paying members.

Sure takes the fun out of it.... It’s been getting increasingly slower and not just on Sundays. It’s become the slowest site I visit. It’s also at the top of the list for Time outs and severs errors.

I started Geocaching over 3 years ago and have been a premium member most of that time. I’ve always felt that our support is important. After all without a Web site there could be no Geocaching. I’m not going to stop caching and will continue to support this site even with these issues. But as a paying subscriber, I’d sure like to have the Priority on the Severs, over non-paying members

It would be nice if premium members had access to different servers. Live Journal used to have different servers for paid members. So when it was busy the paying members could still get in. Personally I think if someone is willing to pay to be premium members they should be able to get in to the site. I've had several server busy messages all day when trying to search out a cache. Once even when I tried to get to the home page.

Why not serve up smaller pages to reduce the server load and start limiting non-paying users to a more basic set of features.

I don't see how gc.com can be a business based on paying users and simultaneously attempt to be a pro bono resource for the world geocaching community (unless they can figure out another way to fund it).

It is flying now. But pre-afternoon hours were awful. It was the 2nd Sunday I had noticed it. I couldn't use if for much of last Sunday. I initially thought it was user overload, but then started to fear DOS attacks. In any case, I hope it gets cleared up (again).

Edited by pdxmarathonman

PQs on Thursday night.

Cache on Saturday and Sunday

Log on Tuesday.

No worries.

Obviously, Jeremy is well aware of the problem and I'm sure he's doing what he can to make the hamster run faster. I hear he may even be upgrading to Gerbil 2.0 - a completely redesigned rodent.

anim%20-%20hamster_wheel_lg_clr.gif

Hamster

b_wheel.jpg

Gerbil

I hear he may even be experimenting with low-friction-low-gravity synthetic hamsters:

wheel1.jpg

PQs on Thursday night.

Log on Tuesday.

No worries.

Obviously, Jeremy is well aware of the problem and I'm sure he's doing what he can to make the hamster run faster. I hear he may even be upgrading to Gerbil 2.0 - a completely redesigned rodent.

Hamster

b_wheel.jpg

Gerbil

I hear he may even be experimenting with low-friction-low-gravity synthetic hamsters:

wheel1.jpg

:laughing:

I saw an interesting article in InfoWorld last week dealing with a similar problem...

Friendster handles load

I've managed IT before, so I know how hard it can be to keep everything going and mostly I applaud the job that TPTB do day to day. At the same time, I don't think the supporters of the site should be forced to change our behavior (no logging on the weekend) just to keep the site up and running.

I like the suggestions to dedicate hardware to premium members, but will that fix it? Are there enough premium members that we'll crush the "new" server too?

Wow, I am glad I found this thread. We have not really had much trouble until today, but today the site is so slow it is almost unusable! I thought it was our computer and had started to look at potential problems when I noticed that other sites work fine. The forums are as fast as usual for us today. They must be on a different server?

Has anyone suggested to Jeremy... to switch from dial-up to broadband? ;);)

I know someone will Markwell this for me... The site pushes out an AVERAGEof 12 MBit/sec. Just think of the number of querys the database servers are getting hit with during peak times. I think it is pretty amazing that the very small shop at gc.com put together the current setup.

It would be nice if premium members had access to different servers. Live Journal used to have different servers for paid members. So when it was busy the paying members could still get in.

I agree.

Now this would be nice! I would even pay an extra few dollars if it made things work for me.

Simple solution for log clogging:

When you get home on sunday after a weekend of caching, don't log your finds. Instead, take a dice and roll it. If you get a 1 you log all your finds on monday, if you get 2 you log them on tuesday and so on. Everyone does this and the extreme sunday evening server load will go away.

Or just move to another timezone and log your finds directly when you get home. =)

It would be nice if premium members had access to different servers. Live Journal used to have different servers for paid members. So when it was busy the paying members could still get in.

I agree.

Now this would be nice! I would even pay an extra few dollars if it made things work for me.

I think this would be really great B) since all the over-achiever cachers would be together on one server where they can log their hundreds of finds on their own (clogged-up) server while the rest of us would be able to log our caches without any slow-downs. Yep, B) it's a really good idea. :o

Simple solution for log clogging:

When you get home on sunday after a weekend of caching, don't log your finds. Instead, take a dice and roll it. If you get a 1 you log all your finds on monday, if you get 2 you log them on tuesday and so on. Everyone does this and the extreme sunday evening server load will go away.

Or just move to another timezone and log your finds directly when you get home. =)

Hate to disappoint you but I tried this. After having so many problems logging my finds on Sunday, I decided to move to Central European time zone (9 hours ahead of California), only to find out that blissful Sunday logging has eluded me. I've concluded that it's all of those West Coast cachers who are to blame browsing their logs at noon while I'm trying to wrap up a day of caching. B)

PQs on Thursday night.

Log on Tuesday.

No worries.

Hamster

b_wheel.jpg

Gerbil

wheel1.jpg

How about a gerbiloon or a dirigiberbil? For more info go to http://www.rathergood.com/mark/

I figured the problem was more because of people clogging the server doing database queries for caches to find. I have taken to running PQs on Friday, spending Saturday and/or Sunday caching, and logging on Sunday night after 9pm CST. I have personally found that the server is quite a bit speedier at 9pm than in the middle of the afternoon, but everyone seems to be having different experiences.

From my obsevations Im guessing PQs run on a separate server to the web server, as does the email alerts.... possibily with the database server on its own and the web server being the fourth... this configuration would explain why PQs, email alerts, and the web page are often out of synch.

It would be interesting to see how much of the overload is down to European useage, we tend so see the major slowdown Sun evenings when we are trying to log finds, whilst stateside you are running queries in preparation for the days caching.

A great solution would be to mirror the database and web servers in Europe, and kill the Cross Atlantic traffic, that way they could also kill all the US only Offers/Garbage we in Europe have to ignore.

Maybe the mail server needs a new gerbil too? The usual Thursday cache notification didn't go out until Friday this week.

Received: from signal.Groundspeak.com (signal.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.133]) by monroe.tera-byte.com (8.11.6/8.11.6) with ESMTP id j3MIJAZ27656 for <mopar@xxxxxx.com>; Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:19:10 -0600

Received: from pace (pace.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.140]) by signal.Groundspeak.com (Postfix) with SMTP id 8C530132E82 for <mopar@xxxxxx.com>; Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:19:07 -0700 (PDT)

And my daily PQs don't get here until about 10pm, which is pretty much useless by then (but easy to fix by just scheduling then a day earlier)

Not a complaint, just an observation.

It does appear as though the issue revolves around inadaquate European bandwidth allocations. It might be helpful if they took advantage of StarLight or STAR TAP international access points. There appears to be adaquate surplus bandwidth available via the SBC GigaPop in Chicago on the StarLight HPC connection. Considering the negative effect upon European/American trade that has resulted from the disfavorable currency exchange rates of late, they will probably be willing to offer discounts of up to 35%. This favorable pricing alternative might last for another 6 to 12 months.

I don't know about European bandwidth, but I am on the west coast of the US and all day today the site has been completely unavailable. Can't even load the home page. Had real problems getting on the site yesterday and Friday also. Slow is one thing, but completely unavailable is another.

I guess the site has become a victim of it's own success!

Maybe it is time for TPTB to post something explaining the problems and what the plan is to fix the site.

It is frustrating at times. It takes a long time to log caches Saturday and Sunday afternoon and evening and the 'server busy' errors are increasing again.

Also, even though PQs are on a separate server, I've watched as my Friday PQ has gone from arriving before noon, to afternoon to around 9:30-10:00pm eastern. I only run this query twice per week but I'll probably add to the server burden by requesting it more often just so I know I'll have a recent one to load and research before heading out Saturday morning.