Oh The Irony

5¢

The second thing I see is the folks that rant about the numbers have very low numbers

People who have low numbers tend to have low numbers specificially because they don't care about numbers. Many of them would rather do 1 or 2 quality caches a day than 30 park and grabs. They'll tag along with friends while the friend hunts caches they've already found. They'll attend their daughter's soccer game and not give a second thought to the caches that are in the same park. They'll hit a cache rich area and bag a few and save the rest for another day. They'll spend a weekend, or more, maintaining their own caches or looking for spots to hide them.

They're also less likely to pad their finds with armchair, Google search virtuals and claim finds when they don't find the cache.

Again the real irony is the folks that have the numbers are not usually on the forum

To the contrary. There are many high numbers cachers who are (or were) forum regulars. Right off the bat, I can think of Marky, George & Mary, Bassoonpilot, Sbelll, JoeGPS, JMBella, Lazyboy & MM, The Leprechauns, Mtn-Man, Robertlipe, Cybret and others who are pretty regular posters and have a lot of finds.

Edited by briansnat

(moderator post follows)

The point of my log was not lost on our local caching community, who apparently were better able to divine its true meaning. ... I try not to flame a cache too too directly, since I have manners and I try to get along with others in my local community.

The point of your log was that you didn't like the cache but were pretending to be too politically correct to state the obvious ... but you were not politically correct enough not to ridicule the cache, and its owner, anyway. So that is an example of "your manners" and how one should endeavor to "get along?"

And you wonder why I think so many people involved with geocaching are absolute jerks?

Something you constantly forget...

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

I will remind you of something else that someone said recently that works for all people and not just reviewers or moderators.

One last rule. If you have the same problem with all the reviewers, then the problem is you. That can be a hard pill to swallow but it lets you work to solve the problem.

It is quite possible that many of these people are not jerks and maybe you should take a hard look at yourself and your attitude toward life and geocaching in general. If this game is too hard for you, consider something else. I sure you might be happier and I am sure a lot of the people you call names will be happier too.

(/moderator post, continue the discussion, my number would be 21.)

The second thing I see is the folks that rant about the numbers have very low numbers

People who have low numbers tend to have low numbers specificially because they don't care about numbers. Many of them would rather do 1 or 2 quality caches a day than 30 park and grabs. They'll tag along with friends while the friend hunts caches they've already found. They'll attend their daughter's soccer game and not give a second thought to the caches that are in the same park. They'll hit a cache rich area and bag a few and save the rest for another day. They'll spend a weekend, or more, maintaining their own caches or looking for spots to hide them.

They're also less likely to pad their finds with armchair, Google search virtuals and claim finds when they don't find the cache.

Again the real irony is the folks that have the numbers are not usually on the forum

To the contrary. There are many high numbers cachers who are (or were) forum regulars. Right off the bat, I can think of Marky, George & Mary, Bassoonpilot, Sbelll, JoeGPS, JMBella, Lazyboy & MM, The Leprechauns, Mtn-Man, Robertlipe, Cybret and others who are pretty regular posters and have a lot of finds.

But why then do they rant about the people that have high numbers????? Do they feel threated. If it doesn't matter then why make such a big stink. I have never seen some one with a few hundred caches say something like "your not a real cacher untill you have 500 or 1000 caches." I just don't under stand. I do it every way sernadiptious caches or going after on it takes months to research.

The second point okay you named less then a dozen and I dont really care but of the 125 people with 2000+ caches how many are on line. I did use the word USUSLLY.

I know some folks don't have the time other just dont care, I don't know.

cheers

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

How ironic that "respect" is not also "required" of those posting logs to cache pages. I think idiotic logs like the "Llama" one are both more disrespectful and more offensive than if the claimant simply wrote "your cache stunk and was a waste of our time."

Edited by Bassoon Pilot

This is a silly thread. Your numbers and my numbers depend on:

How long you've been geocaching

How much time you have to geocache

What your purpose in geocaching is

Whether or not you are honest

How skilled you are

Where you live (lots of them nearby or only a few)

Who you cache with

Many other things I did not think of.

To use the tee ball analogy, we are not all batting against the same pitcher.

There is no comparison of your numbers against mine. That is pointless. They're just numbers.

Everybody knows its not about the number of cache finds. Its about who is the smartest and that is directly correlated to your number of posts on the forum. :D

Edit: Forgot to put a smiley so everybody knows I was kidding......

Really. I heard that intellegence was directly proportional to the number of teeth divided by the number of tatoos. :) I also heard that there was some number of posts that qualifies one as a blowhard. :D

Perhaps numbers are really for accountants and statisticians. I heard a while back that statiticians are proported to have insufficient personality to be cost accountants too. I was ROTFLMAO when I heard that one. :D

Perhaps the only numbers that really amount to much are the ones that win the state lottery. :D

How ironic that "respect" is not also "required" of those posting logs to cache pages. I think idiotic logs like the "Llama" one are both more disrespectful and more offensive than if the claimant simply wrote "your cache stunk and was a waste of our time."

Would a log about badgers be just as bad? :D

... I also heard that there was some number of posts that qualifies one as a blowhard. :D ...

I had to look that up, and all things considered I'm going to stick with pundit. :D A good post is a good post no matter what came before or what comes after. Caches are the same. Time to go check my powerball ticket. I know where I normally stand in that particular dog pile.

The point of my log was not lost on our local caching community, who apparently were better able to divine its true meaning. ... I try not to flame a cache too too directly, since I have manners and I try to get along with others in my local community.

The point of your log was that you didn't like the cache but were pretending to be too politically correct to state the obvious ... but you were not politically correct enough not to ridicule the cache, and its owner, anyway. So that is an example of "your manners" and how one should endeavor to "get along?"

And you wonder why I think so many people involved with geocaching are absolute jerks?

I have several thoughts on human behavior after spending 20+ years working in the hospitality industry, and dealing with people of all sorts on a daily basis. One is what I call the ten percenter rule. I truly think that ten percent of the human race find happiness in being miserable, creating misery, and trying to spread that misery to others they come in contact with. :D They don't do it every day, or at every encounter, but they do it. :D

Every few weeks, I need to remind one of my employees about this rule; usually after they have had someone behave unreasonably towards them.

Ironically (to keep OT with a thread about irony) I find that ratio to be much smaller in the geocaching community. :D Now I wonder why that could be... oh yea we all do this to have FUN!!!! :D

But why then do they rant about the people that have high numbers?????

In all my time in these forums I've yet to encounter a person ranting about geocachers with high numbers. Have I missed something?

I've seen complaints about cachers in such a hurry, they fail to re-hide caches properly. I've seen complaints about geocachers faking finds and logging virtuals from the comfort of their living room. I've seen complaints about caches (or series of caches) that are established just so people can pad their find counts. I've seen posts from people who don't undertand the numbers obssession of some. But I've never seen a post critical of someone solely because they have a high find count.

Edited by briansnat

"attend the Forums more" -- LOL. :D

CR, if you don't get too much out of a cache, like if it's on a guardrail 15 feet from a noisy road and 15 feet from a smelly restaurant trash dumpster, enter a llama log.  That way, you get your smiley face without saying anything directly bad about the cache . . .

So, I was finally able to hear and see the llama song. On my slow connection, it took forever to download.

It finally made sense when I saw this fleeting image. :D

WellThisSucks.jpg

And, now back to the topic, er, what was the topic? . . .

Again the real irony is the folks that have the numbers are not usually on the forum.

cheers

Ironically enough, you're wrong.

Most of the regular forum posters people commenting in this thread are over 500 finds. More then a few are well over 1000.

Some people are just competitive. I believe it's instinctive. I used to believe that this was a particularly male affliction, but in geocaching, it seems to effect women, too.

To me, turning a pleasant walk in the woods into a competition is just silly. I'm there to relax mentally and exercise physically. I used to feel the same way about sailing when I had a boat. My find rate (df/dt) is glacially low.

But for them what likes it, the competitve aspect is enjoyable, and to them I say "you win."

:D

And, now back to the topic, er, what was the topic? . . .

If I may be facetious, I think it had something to do with class envy or perhaps how much money cachers make. Perhaps Wimsevquv's 10% rule is the answer. I see cachers that seem upset over money and seem to find it necessary to forcibly exclaim to us that "money doesn't matter!" Then I see cachers that are content whether they earn a little or a lot. The last two cachers would not have a problem caching together or being friendly toward each other.

I think it has to do with what reveritt said about "Some people are just competitive."

All this discussion has me a bit befuddled, but then I am not competitive and never have been.

This is just an awesomely-fun activity that gets me out by myself, or not by myself, in search of wiley Geocaches.

If numbers, either the Geocacher's own, or somone else's, start being a "problem," maybe that person needs to reexamine why they participate in this sport/hobby/activity/obsession.

A lot of good points in here. I'm normally not a numbers guy, but for some reason I want to spend more time caching this spring and summer intead some other interests I have.

So I set a numbers goal for myself. Not because I'm obsessed with my numbers, but If I don't set a goal I'll spend more time doing something besides caching.

Well I hope it's okay for a very noob to jump in here and add her shiny new .02

I have a whopping 7 finds, :) 5 of which I've really enjoyed b/c I found them with my 4 y/o DS. Geocaching for my family and I is something that we've decided to do as a way to spend more time together, get some exercise, see some cool things and places, and ultimately, just have fun at home or when we go camping. I do have a couple of finds by myself from work lunch breaks but those were b/c I'm now hooked on how fun this is and not b/c I care about increasing my numbers. In fact, I doubt my numbers will ever get very big, just b/c I really enjoy caching with my family, and well...a 4 y/o lives and moves in a totally different time continum! :)

Now IMHO, that's not to say that those GCers who enjoy pushing themselves to get some crazy big number of caches are out of line or playing the game "wrong." I think that just as with any sport, the players all play for different reasons, whether it's the competiton, the comraderie, or whatever. One isn't more right than another--they're each just different, and right for them :D I guess I just don't understand why there's any reason to complain in this game. At it's most basic premise, isn't it all just about what's fun for you? ;)

I have a whopping 7 finds, ;) 5 of which I've really enjoyed b/c I found them with my 4 y/o DS. Geocaching for my family and I is something that we've decided to do as a way to spend more time together, get some exercise, see some cool things and places, and ultimately, just have fun at home or when we go camping. I do have a couple of finds by myself from work lunch breaks but those were b/c I'm now hooked on how fun this is and not b/c I care about increasing my numbers. In fact, I doubt my numbers will ever get very big, just b/c I really enjoy caching with my family, and well...a 4 y/o lives and moves in a totally different time continum! :)

Now IMHO, that's not to say that those GCers who enjoy pushing themselves to get some crazy big number of caches are out of line or playing the game "wrong." I think that just as with any sport, the players all play for different reasons, whether it's the competiton, the comraderie, or whatever. One isn't more right than another--they're each just different, and right for them :) I guess I just don't understand why there's any reason to complain in this game. At it's most basic premise, isn't it all just about what's fun for you? :D

That's not the statement of a n00b, that's a statement of the wise.

I have a whopping 7 finds,  :o  5 of which I've really enjoyed b/c I found them with my 4 y/o DS. Geocaching for my family and I is something that we've decided to do as a way to spend more time together, get some exercise, see some cool things and places, and ultimately, just have fun at home or when we go camping.  I do have a couple of finds by myself from work lunch breaks but those were b/c I'm now hooked on how fun this is and not b/c I care about increasing  my numbers.  In fact, I doubt my numbers will ever get very big, just b/c I really enjoy caching with my family, and well...a 4 y/o lives and moves in a totally different time continum!    :rolleyes:

Now IMHO, that's not to say that those GCers who enjoy pushing themselves to get some crazy big number of caches are out of line or playing the game "wrong."  I think that just as with any sport, the players all play for different reasons, whether it's the competiton, the comraderie, or whatever.  One isn't more right than another--they're each just different, and right for them  :)  I guess I just don't understand why there's any reason to complain in this game.  At it's most basic premise, isn't it all just about what's fun for you?  :D 

Ding, ding, ding! Welcome to geocaching! You seem to understand what a few old timers can't seem to grasp. It's a game. The object is to have fun, promote the sport and enjoy your self. Their's no need to put others down for enjoying the game their way. I hope our paths cross some day. Cache on, Eric

edit: too many quotes

Edited by n0wae
... It's a game. The object is to have fun, promote the sport and enjoy yourself.

Which is it; a "game" or a "sport?" Personally, I think geocaching is an "activity."

Clearly, it is in the best interests of Groundspeak, Inc. to promote their "brand" of geocaching, but I think geocaching was a lot better off when it existed "off the radar screen." Too many areas now have too many caches of too low qualities, and too many land managers/government agencies have taken notice of the activity and overreacted badly.

Two of the three objects you listed are redundant, but I think the real objects of geocaching (things that would differentiate the "fun" derived from geocaching from the self-enjoyment derived from any other leisure time activity) are to find things hidden by others, or to hide things for others to find. Nothing more; nothing less.

... It's a game. The object is to have fun, promote the sport and enjoy yourself.

Which is it; a "game" or a "sport?" Personally, I think geocaching is an "activity."

Clearly, it is in the best interests of Groundspeak, Inc. to promote their "brand" of geocaching, but I think geocaching was a lot better off when it existed "off the radar screen." Too many areas now have too many caches of too low qualities, and too many land managers/government agencies have taken notice of the activity and overreacted badly.

Two of the three objects you listed are redundant, but I think the real objects of geocaching (things that would differentiate the "fun" derived from geocaching from the self-enjoyment derived from any other leisure time activity) are to find things hidden by others, or to hide things for others to find. Nothing more; nothing less.

When Geocaching was "off the radar screen" I didn't know about it, and that wouldn't have been good for me. :D

I've only been doing this for 87 days, but I've found 92 caches so far (and had quite a few DNFs), but who's counting . . . :rolleyes:

Anyway, I call this a "game/sport/activity/obsession" because that is what it is to me.

I've never done anything before that has gotten into my brain so thoroughly that I literally dream about it every night.

Every time I go out Geocaching, I want to come back here and start a "Thank You" thread because I am so very, very grateful to have discovered this wonderful game/sport/activity/obsession! :)