Please Help My Disbelief!

CarlGurt

I'm not attacking anyone's veracity, but going through past topics, I've seen some records for finding caches that I just find hard to understand.

Daily Record: To make the 24-hour record, you must find and retrieve ten caches per hour, (on the average), or one every six minutes, all through the day and night. My geocaching buddy and I would be hard put to open the containers and fill out the logs, if they were stacked in front of us, at the rate of one every six minutes. And having worked long hours both on a farm, and as a Shift Test Engineer, and having stayed up all night to study, I can say from personal experience that a 24-hour day is a long day.

Four Years: One member, to achieve his numbers, must have been retrieving six caches per day, (on the average), every day, 365 days a year, rain or shine, holidays and all, summer and winter, for four years! My buddy and I, clearly not the fastest, but yet! spend all day to get ten.

How can people achieve these numbers? I'd like to see them in action!

CarlGurt

I myself can bearly get out of the house with kids in tow. 3 caches on a good day for us and we are happy. But there are some incredably gifted and maybe pychic as well :o who can find 15 plus a day. when I asked them how they start early and with a good lap top and orginized plan and usually a group of friends ( extra eyes have got to help ) they widdle there way down the geocache list. Pretty amazing geocaching machines. plus they are retired. Were I am working 32 hour weekends has put a sudden damper on my addiction ;) I am so jealous :laughing:

I've seen them in action, it's amazing. Personally, my best is probably only in the area of 50 in one day, but we like to stop and take pictures and read the logbooks.

Wow fifty in a day I need to cach with you, and we were proud of three. I guess we need to get orginized. I did finally make a folder of all the caches within 20 miles that I now keep in the car. Now my husband just needs to remenber the GPS and working batteries( that is so key!!) :o

Our best (wife, son & I) is 28 in one day. I plot the caches we are interested in doing on USAPhotoMaps with a few extra thrown in just in case we can not do some of the planned ones. Then draw a route to all of the caches by using the shortest distance to each. Transfer the route to a track and upload to the GPS. This then puts a trail on your GPS to all the caches you are interested in. Of coarse difficulty of the caches makes a big difference. Most of the ones we did that day were urban micros.

The record of 246 was set by (if I understand correctly) a team of 3 cachers, meaning 82 caches each in that 24 hour period. The previous record was 2 cachers finding 240 caches (120 each) which is more impressive. I don't know what the solo record is.

These numbers would be impossible for a solo cacher without the use of a time machine.

Organization is definitely the key. My personal best is 50 finds and I started at 10:30 am and ended the day at 4:30. I was exhausted after that run both physically and mentally. There were many other caches in that area that could have been picked up but I couldn't go any longer. There was a group that hit that town a few weeks after my visit and picked up 130 caches in a day. There was a team of 4 of them and I was only with a fellow cach'n bud of mine who drove as I navigated to the next closest cache.

Today was a very unorganized day for me but I pulled in 16 smileys. The potential was there for at least 30 had I been more prepared.

Your math's a little off. When we found 240 caches in 24 hours, we took off more than two hours for dinner at Hooters, a half hour at Taco Bell for lunch, and a half hour for potty breaks/coffee breaks. So in actuality we were finding a cache every 5.25 minutes.

Each cache was found and logged just like always. We signed our names and the date, and did not use stickers. None of the caches we found went missing due to rushing through and not being stealthy.

The secrets to a record run:

-- Go to a city you've never cached in before, and which has a lot of caches in a concentrated area. It's easy to get a cache every few minutes when they're across the street from each other, .1 miles apart.

-- Have a driver and a navigator/record keeper who are both familiar with the area and have mapped out a route in advance. The finders concentrate on finding and signing the logs.

-- Drink lots of coffee but don't pee. It makes you run faster.

-- Bring a stuffed badger with you. I cannot overemphasize the importance of this.

Go back and re-read the threads. The explanations of how it is done and is possible is there.

For number of caches in 24 hours, I figure that I did my stint at explaining and defending against doubts when we held the record. I will allow the current record holders to do that now. I'm glad it got beat so I could quit that. :o

I will say that a mass cache run is quite fun. I don't care to repeat the 24 hour thing though. It was one of those things that was fun to do once to say that I did it. Now I am happy to watch others go nuts! ;)

I routinely grab 10 caches on the way home from work. Last week I was in Wichita and driving home to Kansas City. I finished work at 5pm. I grabbed three caches in 15 minutes right around the area that I worked in. I plotted a course towards home on the back roads and by 930pm when I drove into my driveway I had found 16 caches. Most of them where right by the roadside and not to difficult to find.

My best day was a celebration of my friends 45th birthday. We drove to Columbia and Jefferson City Missouri started out from home at 6am and got home at 9pm. If you take out the 2.5 hour drive to and from we spent 12.5 hours caching and found 45 caches. We took pictures, had some nice hikes, some lame micros and a good lunch. I had spent about two hours prior to the day putting the caches we wanted to hit into a route and getting familiar with the cache pages. We used my laptop and Palm to keep track of the caches we found. If we had a driver that knew the area and a greater density of caches we could have done even better.

"Team Rebellion's" attempt was well documented. Currently there are very few places where such a record could be achieved. East of the Mississippi, I think you are looking at Nashville and Jacksonville. Our best rate for 2 people (1 a 7 y.o.) in unfamiliar territory is about every 7 minutes. That was in Jacksonville. Team Rebellion had hit caches that they had hit as induviduals, but not as a team. It is real tough, but it can be done. I am unfamiliar with the 240 record documentation, but I am sure they have it. I know people have hit the Ormond Beach-northern Daytona Beach area for 50 in a matter of about 6 hours. Unfortunately, that is the only cache dense area in the metro Daytona area. The other trick is to use a stamp rather than sign the log. Have fun if you're getting ready for an attempt. I believe there will be attempts during GW3.

I went down to several areas in the desert in January. When I looked at a map of the Palm Springs through Indio area I could see the possibility for a huge caching day. There was one drive of several miles with a very high concentration. I choose not to concentrate that hard on getting huge numbers but if someone wants to do a 24 hour cache more power to them. We each have our view of the sport. I suspect this would be a good area if someone wanted to set the record.

My math was assuming you each searched for seperate caches at the same time. I didn't realize you stayed together.

If the caches were all 1 star driveby's, along a straight road, without traffic, .1 miles apart , yeah...I could see it being done.

Both when Lep an I did 240 and Zatoichi's team did 246 in 24 hours the team stayed together. So did the team that did 230 something before all of us (sorry that I don't remember the exact number, I think it was 238). All caches were found by team members at once. The roads are not necesarily straight. Sometimes they are and sometimes not. But it involves high density areas and good planning. Most caches are easy enough to find that it would not matter if there were one or 4 people finding, although we did some tough ones when Lep and I did our run. I remember several times where we looked for 20+ minutes. But then there would be a shopping area run of lightpoles where there were 15-20 in an hour.

Anyway, it is all about density. Nashville and Jacksonville are good for that. I suspect California must have some spots that would work too. After density it takes planning and either stamina or coffee. I chose coffee! I suspect that Zatoichi used stamina. I think he and his team is in better shape than me <_<

I went down to several areas in the desert in January.  When I looked at a map of the Palm Springs through Indio area I could see the possibility for a huge caching day.  There was one drive of several miles with a very high concentration.  I choose not to concentrate that hard on getting huge numbers but if someone wants to do a 24 hour cache more power to them.  We each have our view of the sport.  I suspect this would be a good area if someone wanted to set the record.

At a recent "Event" in the Palm Springs area, some Geocachers from San Diego found over 100 caches in a day, and they didn't cache for anywhere near 24 hours:

In case anyone is interested, (some . . .) calculations of our distances and timing during our 100 cache day. We did 2/3rds of the caches on hiking trails and 1/3 from the car. We hiked 8.6 miles on the two main cache trails that we hiked (We hiked over 10 miles if you count the hiking from the cars to the caches). On the Boo Hoff "SUV" trail, we did 17 caches in 1 hour for a rate of one cache every 3.5 minutes. Eight of those were in total darkness and the rest were at dusk.

But . . . I have to agree with sbukosky

"Caching like such impresses me as much as a hotdog eating contest."

<_<

My math was assuming you each searched for seperate caches at the same time. I didn't realize you stayed together.

If the caches were all 1 star driveby's, along a straight road, without traffic, .1 miles apart , yeah...I could see it being done.

Here's a map of our finds over a 24 hour period in Nashville. Hardly a straight line, and not all of them were 528 feet from the last one. There were ammo boxes and bison capsules, tupperware and keyholders, film canisters and virtuals. What's more, we did this on July 4th weekend with all the holiday traffic. We were lucky to clear out the downtown area just as the crowds gathered for a fireworks display.

27ec2663-6694-474d-9325-6b83c1d79200.jpg

Like Carleen said, it's not something I'm ever likely to do again. Whenever I feel like it, I can go out and grab 10 in an hour, but that doesn't happen too often.

Anyway, it is all about density. Nashville and Jacksonville are good for that. I suspect California must have some spots that would work too. After density it takes planning and either stamina or coffee. I chose coffee! I suspect that Zatoichi used stamina. I think he and his team is in better shape than me <_<

Southern California does have some cache dense areas.

Greater Palm Springs is the best area for caching, because they have scenery, lots of trails, and lots of caches.

Another great area is Ventura County California.

A key tip about group cachers is most are experienced cachers (lots of finds), and the extra sets of eyes make it easier to find the caches. When everyone is looking in different spots, caches are found in mere seconds, rather than multiple minute searches by individual cachers.

When I plan on going on a "numbers" trip, I plan a day or two in advance. I load waypoints into my GPS, my PDA, and then I download all the cache waypoints to my Mapsend Topo in the USA program. I print maps (with cache waypoints) for visual reference. This way, I plot my route ahead of time.

By myself, my best was 17 or 18 caches in a 6 hour period with a 120 mile round trip. Group caching my best was 54 and my second best was 38.

Edited by Kit Fox
They probably had someone who knew where the caches are located drive them around.

With a dirt bike perhaps right up to every cache.

Not my idea of fun, makes me think of the people who swallow as many

raw eggs, oysters, whatever, just to set a "record :ph34r: "

We did have a driver and navigator. But we found the caches. We also had fun from the experience, but don't care to repeat it and just enjoy the experience of it. You must not have read this whole thread. <_<

Uhm could the current record holders please come in and handle this? I quit on this stuff! I get tired of defending a fun experience! Waaaay to much angst! :lol:

Post after post has marginalized the efforts of those who have tried for the record (other than the OP, who was politely asking how it was done).

"Well, they must have split up." -- Wrong.

"Well, they must have had someone show them where all the caches were." -- Wrong.

"Well, the caches must have all been drivebys" -- Wrong.

"Well, the caches must have all been in a straight line" -- Wrong.

"Well, there must have been little or no traffic." -- Wrong.

Give it a break. Quit questioning the legitimacy of someone else's caching, get out of the forums and go find some caches. If ten in one day is your record, try for 20. If 100 in a day is insane, and not your thing, then try to find 10 terrain 3's in one day (I enjoyed that challenge, too). Go find your very first terrain 5, all-day hydrocache. Or go find 247. It's not that hard, really.

Our best as a team (an my personal) is 18 in about 6 hours up in Akron. If you are a premium member, then drop in a zip code, choose a cache, and then select the "geocaching map" option which gives you an icon for each cache. Then zoom out a bit and you can see how cache-dense it is. Akron is NOT dense, Nashville is the extrememe upper limit. The 18 we did, I call it "city caching," and it is not my favorite. I'd rather do 6 in a day with a lot of walking.

Well, since I once found 10 caches in under 45 minutes without trying. That would tell me that it is very possible with the right cache, density, planning, and stamina.

You mean you accidently stumbled upon 10 different caches in 45 minutes? I think some cacher owners need to go back and retake Hiding 101 if this is actually true.

Four Years: One member, to achieve his numbers, must have been retrieving six caches per day, (on the average), every day, 365 days a year, rain or shine, holidays and all, summer and winter, for four years! My buddy and I, clearly not the fastest, but yet! spend all day to get ten.

That would be 6x30=180 per month. We've been averaging about 100 caches a month here lately. Mostly weekend caching. For folks who are retired or able to travel getting much higher numbers than that would be easy.

I've talked with Zatoichi (one of 3 members of Team Rebellion) about their upcoming run on a new 24 hour record. Talk about planning! They've even tested vehicles as to exit/entry time! He figures there's an absolute limit of one cache per 3 minutes in ideal circumstances - and something around 300 finds is the "real world" top on a 24 hour run. Obviously you gotta want it to put the kind of time and thought (and money) into it that they have. And it's very entertaining from the sidelines.

Well, since I once found 10 caches in under 45 minutes without trying.  That would tell me that it is very possible with the right cache, density, planning, and stamina.

You mean you accidently stumbled upon 10 different caches in 45 minutes? I think some cacher owners need to go back and retake Hiding 101 if this is actually true.

I should clarify... "without trying" means we weren't bustin' butt to get them that quickly, wasn't planning for it. If it was planned and researched, it could have been 30 minutes. They were pretty much just lame micros that we drove up and grabbed. (BTW: there were two of us out that day)

i'd like to address the one-a-day thing.

i am currently averaging approximately 1.08 caches a day for 3 years. not 1.08 caches per caching day, but per days passed since i started. it isn't all that hard to do.

i have a full time job and a home.

Woohoo! I LOVE cache runs! I was there with Lep and Carleen when they made their run, though on another team that didn't do quite as well - I think we got 189.

I have been on a cacheleague team that did 240 in a three-day rained-the-whole-time weekend, and numerous runs of 12 to 18 hour runs where we got ~100.

This weekend I met 8 other Alabama geocachers and 10 geocachers from Tennessee in Attalla Alabama at 7 a.m. Saturday, we cached there for two hours, then headed south 100 miles to the AGA's Spring Fling, the transmission blew in my Suburban in Birmingham so I piled in with the Tennessee folks and we kept going to Verbena Alabama for the event. Spent 2.5 hours at the event, found some caches there, picked up some more cachers and five carloads of us cached our way 50 miles back to Birmingham where we cached until 5 a.m. this morning! (Including over an hour for a great dinner at Dreamland)

70+ caches found, new friends made, old friends visited, the laughter never slowed down, lifetime memories made for all of us...

If you've cached in Alabama you'll know that there are very few lightpole caches here! If this same team had done this in Nashville, Atlanta or Chattanooga we'd have gotten 2 or 3 times as many!

And, I saw in earlier posts some confusion about a cache train - a group of people that split up and go separate ways, doing different caches and adding all their finds to make a total is not a cache train - a cache train is 1 or more cars (usually 4-8) that travel in a pack from cache to cache. Get to the cache site and everyone jumps out, runs to find the cache, usually one person signs it with a team name so we don't fill up the logs and so it doesn't take 10 minutes for everyone to sign, then off to the next! it's not for everyone but it's the most exciting game I have ever played!

Anyone who questions the numbers, fun and excitement, or who thinks this might be fun, is invited to join us in Jacksonville Fl next month for GeoWoodstock III where another record will be attempted and cache trains will be running long and hard! If you can't imagine a cache every 4-6 minutes on average you are in for some fun!

I believe that it is really posible. I have been to cache machines in the northwest and numbers this last weekend are like 25 on the way there, 70 on Saturday and 35 on the way home. For us, we got 16 on the way, 69 on the machine and 30 on the way home. Impressive for us as we ususally get only 25 on our out of town caching trips. We are averaging 1.9 a day. I wish I could have been there just to watch the Nashville run.

Life is too short to rush thru it....stop and smell the roses....

Life would be pretty darn boring if there were only roses. When geocaching, I far prefer a bouquet of tulips, daffodils and roses.

Just weeks after finding 240 caches in a day -- including three that are among my most memorable, having made my Top 5% List (see link below) -- Carleen and I went on a caching trip in the mountains east of Seattle. Twelve miles, eight hours and three caches. Also an unforgettable day, but of a different type. Both experiences were fun, but in different ways. Quit picking at my right to have fun. It won't do you any good, because I'll keep having fun anyways.

Sounds to me like different strokes for different folks. Without knowing anyone personally I wonder if it is an age difference. I certainly couldn't do a 24 hour cache run nor would I want to. But if someone wants to do it I love the energy and planning that would go into it and wouldn't mind meeting them for breakfast the next morning to hear the stories. We all remember the joke about the old bull and young bull on the hill overlooking a herd of cows. The young bull nudges the old bull and says "Let's run down there and have one of them!" The old bull says "Let's walk down and have them all."

I'm 45. Young enough, because of geocaching, to do crazy stuff like find caches for 24 hours in a row. Old enough to recognize that I don't need to charge after every one in the herd, so long as I've chosen exactly the right one. (Being very, very careful to continue the analogy without using the word "cow.")

Geocaching makes some of us age in reverse.

Sounds to me like different strokes for different folks. Without knowing anyone personally I wonder if it is an age difference. I certainly couldn't do a 24 hour cache run nor would I want to. But if someone wants to do it I love the energy and planning that would go into it and wouldn't mind meeting them for breakfast the next morning to hear the stories. We all remember the joke about the old bull and young bull on the hill overlooking a herd of cows. The young bull nudges the old bull and says "Let's run down there and have one of them!" The old bull says "Let's walk down and have them all."

I love the quote about the bulls, my Daddy told me that parable years ago and it's basically how I've lived my life.

As to it being an age thing, it may be - the young whippersnappers can rarely keep up!

I am 50, lost a leg in '98 and cache on crutches, broke my neck in '02 and am in chronic pain all the time, especially when geocaching for long periods! Most of the folks I cached with this weekend were over 50, many over 60. We had a number of "young folks" from 30 to 50 jump on and off the train at various times but nobody under 50 lasted more than 5 or 6 hours.

As to the planning, remember the saying "Man plans, God laughs"? That's basically the approach we take! We'll get a local cacher in the area we're going to cache to play tour guide and follow him or her from cache to cache, usually he/she owns most of them.

Tour guides get you from cache to cache the fastest possible way and can provide a hint on the rare occassion of a group DNF.

The first few cache runs I spent hours mapping out routes and plans, and after each was shredded in the first few hours I gave up on planning - for instance, during our run yesterday my truck died and I had to limp it home, we left the area we were caching on the spur-of-the-moment to go across town to a restaraunt one cacher liked, a head-light went out on one fellow's truck and we had to cross town again to get to a WalMart - no route plan can stand up to such contingencies!

This weekend HounddogsTCB, RCnP and their families served as tour guides for north Alabama and I led them around the rest of the state, mostly to caches I have done repeatedly with others. Kudus to the Tennesee cachers - I don't think a single hint was needed for the 70+ caches they found, and I got 12 or 15 new ones myself!

i'd like to address the one-a-day thing.

i am currently averaging approximately 1.08 caches a day for 3 years. not 1.08 caches per caching day, but per days passed since i started. it isn't all that hard to do.

i have a full time job and a home.

Same here. I work about 50 hours a week. On the weekends we like to get outside and cache. We are fortunate that there are a lot of cache hiders near us allowing us to cache without having to drive too far (even though we cache a lot, there are 35 caches within 10 miles of us that we haven't found yet).

Over the last three years, we've averaged about 4 caches per day. In our area, there are at least 6 people who average higher than us. It's really not that tough to do, you just need some free time.

--Marky

This is the topic I find most interesting. The more I think on it, the more I realize that it does not matter what the count of caches done is. Rather it is the experience that is gained, and the knowledge that can be communicated.

1) I have discovered interesting places in my own backyard.

2) I can go bird watching with my fiancee, and find caches of my own during the same trip. Since I am an experienced birder, I can still find excitement through her eyes.

Still the 1000 cache finders amaze me. If I can find 100 caches this year, I will be doing caches at a rate where I can remember what was special about each one.

So I would suggest a new RULE OF THUMB or two.

A) Try to only do about 100 quality caches in the year. Take friends with you, and the dog, and the kids. Let them do their thing too while you are out. Find some new places that you did not know existed. There are lots of hidden lakes, streams, mountains, beaches, forests, and gardens that you just may not know exist.

:anicute: Take time to place a few quality caches with a theme!! In Connecticut we have a PLANETS theme cache group. It looks high quality.

C) Try to broaden your hobby by including other interests while caching. Bring binoculars and learn about bird identification. Then branch out into other wildlife and natural history identification.

D) Do not neglect your friendships, and relatives. You need to remain social to spread the good word on geocaching.

This is the topic I find most interesting. The more I think on it, the more I realize that it does not matter what the count of caches done is. Rather it is the experience that is gained, and the knowledge that can be communicated.

1) I have discovered interesting places in my own backyard.

2) I can go bird watching with my fiancee, and find caches of my own during the same trip. Since I am an experienced birder, I can still find excitement through her eyes.

Still the 1000 cache finders amaze me. If I can find 100 caches this year, I will be doing caches at a rate where I can remember what was special about each one.

So I would suggest a new RULE OF THUMB or two.

A) Try to only do about 100 quality caches in the year. Take friends with you, and the dog, and the kids. Let them do their thing too while you are out. Find some new places that you did not know existed. There are lots of hidden lakes, streams, mountains, beaches, forests, and gardens that you just may not know exist.

:blink: Take time to place a few quality caches with a theme!! In Connecticut we have a PLANETS theme cache group. It looks high quality.

C) Try to broaden your hobby by including other interests while caching. Bring binoculars and learn about bird identification. Then branch out into other wildlife and natural history identification.

D) Do not neglect your friendships, and relatives. You need to remain social to spread the good word on geocaching.

Well, we don't have a dog, but we take the kids. There are literally hundreds of quality caches nearby, so I don't like that 100 a year rule. Maybe plant 100 per year.... and we still manage to be socially integrateable and occasionally take others caching with us. As far as remembering each one.... Agent K has done over 500 in the last year, and she seems to remember specific details about each one. If the cache is good, it'll stick no matter how many you do. (My memory was never that good, so I'm lucky to remember the most recent ones...) As far as your other points, they are quite valid. Agent K learns about history and geography as much through caching as she does in her schoolwork. She also has learned valuable lessons in plant identification... specifically poison ivy (ouch) so the sport as been very educational for her. We have found new places. And when we have found interesting places without caches, we plant one. We've done some themed caches, and our daughter is unique in what she likes to do in a series. She likes to invite people to her favorite places. As for the 24 hour run... maybe in a couple of years when the other 2 agents can be more help. It's on my list of must do's whether or not I break the record.

What annoys me is the assumption that because a person has done a numbers run (or several) that they somehow don't take the time to appreciate caches. That is silly. Most high numbers people I know remember and enjoyed most of the caches they found. If they forgot them it was unlikely because of their time at the cache. It was likely that the cache itself was forgetable. I don't buy the 100 a year thing and would never try to adhere to such a thing. Many people in cache dense areas would be shut out of nice caching days then!

Just a week ago, I found 28 in one day in a little town in Nebraska with friends after an event. We weren't trying for numbers at all, we just were driving around finding and enjoying the caches, many of which were rural. We had so much fun that we night cached our way home. That is a common thing for many people and says nothing about what numbers do or do not mean to them. Tell me to limit myself to 100 a year and I am stuck with a couple of trips and no other caching all year long because that is one of my favorite kinds of caching!!! :blink: Anyway I personally couldn't care less what nubmers mean to people. Hence why I dislike the phrase. Tell me that you love your numbers and I say "great" tell me that it "isn't about the numbers" and I say OK there too. But I think people sometimes use that phrase falsely, without real meaning, or to be derogatory. That is why I don't like the phrase.

I guess I will just repeat as I always do: This is about fun. I have had friends tell me they think I am nuts taking a 12 mile hike for a cache. Well, if I have fun doing a 12 mile hike, I won't let others tell me I shouldn't. It also works in the reverse, I won't let someone tell me not to have fun on a numbers run. I did one and had a blast. It was a new and difference experience. Basically, I won't tell others how to enjoy finding caches. I would appreciate it if they didn't tell me how to do that either. ;)

-- Bring a stuffed badger with you.  I cannot overemphasize the importance of this.

What is the record for most caches found in one day without a stuffed badger? :blink:

I believe it is 246. I think that amazingly Team Rebellion did it without a badger!!!! :D I don't know how they managed without it and am shocked and amazed!!!! ;);)