Garmin City Select Europe 7

l_e_e

Thx Paul, but isnt the free cd on offer only the update cd for version 6?? ($100 to unlock)

I thought the full version was over $300 on their website?

I'v emailed garmin anway and asked if they could sent me a copy of city select europe version 7.

Many thx

Lee

I just bought the Automotive Package with a new GPS, which came with a CitySelect V6 CD. However, because I bought it after V7 came out, apparently all I have to do is get the CD (12 Euros for postage and handling), and my coupon code should work for V7.

I don't know if CitySelect Europe is sold in Europe, other than with the Automotive Package. I haven't seen it (for example, on globalpositioningsystems.co.uk). You can get it in the US, but I suppose that there you have to buy the Automotive Package to get the US version of the maps. It's called marketing. :blink:

And I would bet, if only because of Sod's Law, that if you ordered just the CitySelect CD from the US, it would have problems registering, because it would see that your GPS was sold with a European base map.

And I would bet, if only because of Sod's Law, that if you ordered just the CitySelect CD from the US, it would have problems registering, because it would see that your GPS was sold with a European base map.

Not so. It doesn't care where you bought the gps. I have a US sourced 60CS with unlocks for both City Select N America and City Select Europe.

-

MMmmm that was my next question.... i was thinking of buying it from ebay.

Couple of guys in america are selling sealed copies for around £160 still too expensive imo! Dont you think the CD should come with the gpsr?

We pay enough dosh for the dam handsets!

Many thx guys

lee

Edited by l_e_e
Dont you think the CD should come with the gpsr?

We pay enough dosh for the dam handsets!

But which CD ? CitySelect ? MetroGuide ? CityNavigator ? WorldMap ?

Building and maintaining map CDs is expensive - that's why they're so hard to pirate. For example, even CitySelect Europe (2 CDs, all of Western Europe) shows my street (check my home coordinates, GCMDAP, it's a small residential street in a village in the back of beyond), which my car's built-in SatNav CD of France (just one country on the CD) doesn't. I think that's pretty cool. Not all the online map services show my street yet.

Companies already bundle too much together (eg, forcing you to buy the automotive package to get the CitySelect map - I already had most of the stuff, just needed the GPSr-to-car-mount clippy thing). They could put every possible CD in and charge you another 400 quid on the total, one-size-fits-all package. (After all, they don't tell you how much of the purchase price goes to build the unit itself. I'd guess a 60cs costs about $25 for components and $15 to assemble. The rest is shipping, marketing, software R&D, etc etc)

And if you think they Garmin are making too much money, you can always buy shares in them (NASDAQ: GRMN). :(

Not so.  It doesn't care where you bought the gps.  I have a US sourced 60CS with unlocks for both City Select N America and City Select Europe.

That is interesting... but did you buy the City Select version from the US too? Would it allow you to use a City Select North America bought in the USA with a European 76CS or visa versa?

Actually, Garmin have got themselves in a bit of a bind on this subject.

The Garmin data CDs (City Navigator for sure) are dead easy to copy - but before you all get excited, they still need an official "unlock" from Garmin to work.

Each "unlock" you own/buy will enable the software to work with 2 different Garmin GPS units. The internal reference number of the GPS unit is recorded during the unlocking process and the software will only work with these units.

We own a Garmin StreetPilot 3 that originally came complete with City Navigator V5. We upgraded to V6 and subsequently bought a Garmin Vista C. We used the second "unlock" option to enable the CN V6 to work with the Vista C. Excellent result, we now have fully auto-routing for our bicycles!

We found the Vista was much quicker at doing its sums than the SP3. Time for an upgrade? flog off the SP3? buy a newer model?

We spoke to Garmin for advise on how we should "split" the software since we would still want to us it the Vista with its street-legal unlock. Would they give us a seperate single code? or what? how?

Garmin's surprising offical advice to us was to copy the disces. We should pass the original discs to the new owner of the SP3 complete with the customer reference and unlock codes - but to make and retain copies of discs and codes to enable us to continue using CN6 with our Vista! The use of the both unlock options for the code we had, once used, is unrevokable, unchangeable and fixed for all time. The original unlock code will only ever work with the specific SP3 and Vista C we currently own.

The copied CDs Bernie made work fine and are used whenever a re-installation of the software onto an alternative PC is required.

We have not yet flogged off the SP3. When we do, we will also offer the Vista C to the new owners since that's the only way they would be able to get fully use of the original software.