hi i am new!

carolizard

hello i am new and my science teacher ( R.I.R.Ed..) introduced me to this iste....well anyways me and my dad are gonna go this weekend to a few places around my area we don't have a gps but my teacher says you don't need one id you have good ears eyes and intuition so have any of you got good advice? icon_cool.gifsmile.gif

The fact about not needing GPS is true in some cases. And you can find a lot of easy ones without GPS. However, if you wanna get very far into this hobby, you'll eventually have to spree for a GPSr.

But anyway, welcome to the hobby...

----

Extra batteries for GPS, don't leave home without 'em.

Welcome. Maybe you and your dad can post in the section of the forum below where you live. Start a topic something like:"Me and my dad would like to try caching with someone local". Then you can team up with someone who has a GPS to try it that way and see if you both really like it.

Good luck.

Alan

Greetings! We started caching in April; my first six finds were without a GPSr unit. Except for the first, they were easy to find because I knew the area. Our very first find was a bit harder than the rest as we were not familiar with the general area in which it was placed. We had to go down many roads and hike for quite a while before deciding that we were on the wrong path. Then, I borrowed a GPSr unit from a friend, and the variety of caches we could find became greater. Last month, for my birthday, my husband bought me a GPS unit, but he is the one who holds it when we hike. Go figure! Anyway, it is a fun gadget to play with, but not totally necessary for this game. Enjoy your time in the outdoors with your dad!

PeachyPA

Quilter, Cacher, Cubmaster

Well, we went to the store together to purchase it. It was for MY birthday which is in Sept., not HIS, which is in March. We did use that one to find three caches on Sunday in the rain. I guess it is reliable, and it was only about $100. We still have one that I borrowed (the kid who owns it is in college with our daughter) that I could use, but it is larger than the e-Trex. I wouldn't count on that marmota monax (Phil)for much of anything. His cousins ate up our vegetable garden this summer. icon_frown.gif

PeachyPA

Quilter, Cacher, Cubmaster