Almost Mugged, Not Muggled...

I was showing my sister a local cache in Branch Brook Park, in Belleville NJ on the border of Newark. It's Sammie and Matties Cherry Blossom Cache, on the site. It's in a great spot in a less-travelled section of the park, but be careful finding it.

We went for a walk to it and then took a shortcut back that almost got us in trouble. Two druggies followed us into the woods to the railroad tracks. (I've been around enough of them to know). Now normally I'd think "hey it's just 2 curious people! I'll tell them about geocaching" but when your street sense goes off you know that's not a good idea. They were both bigger than me, and that's kind of scary since I'm not a little guy. They both had that pinned hungry-eyed look. When we got to the tracks I very obviously picked up two railroad spikes and handed one to my sister, and looked back. They turned back after that.

I was very glad I did not have a confrontation with them, and I was cursing myself for taking this shortcut through a "bad" part of the park when I did not need to. Most situations like this can be avoided by common sense, but mine was lacking that day.

Just a reminder to everyone to be careful when you're walking around, distracted by your $200 piece of equipment, that someone might want to bounce a rock off your head and pawn it.

I do not want to spark the "what do you carry..." debate. In NJ CCW is not allowed, however I was carrying a legal length pocketknife that I use at work. Like I said, this is more about being aware when you are caching.