Finder's Tree

Google is your friend, but sometimes even your friends don't tell you everything.

A Google Search of: "finders tree" geocaching turned up two results.

#1 is this Cache Page in Illinois: Chipilly Woods Cache GCFEA

I didn't actually find anything here. But Google offered to show me Cached information. It seems someone posted a Log entry on October 24, 2004 refering to a "finder tree", and the Log was subsequently deleted.

#2 is this Archived Cache Page from Wisconsin: Gibbs Lake - Creat a Cache #1 GCKR5A

Check the Log entries for October 30, 2004 (3 different logs refer to a "finders tree".

So if you were in the North Central U.S. in October 2004, you might have the best chance of knowing the answer to this question.

Here's another mention of it in a log from October 30, 2004. (Searched "'finders tree' site:geocaching.com"...without the apostrophe)

Hmmm... I'm from Wisconsin and I have no clue what they're talking about. I know that those October 30th logs are from members of a group that often caches together called "Team Badger."

I can assure you, however, that some of Wisconsin's best have cached with Team Badger and I HIGHLY doubt that they would practice logging methods that others would find unethical, or whatever. It must just be some kind of inside joke, or something.

A finder's Tree is simply used when a few cachers go out together but don't want to spoil the fun of finding the cache for others. When one spies the cache, he tries to avoid calling attention to it -- rather he will move off some (perhaps still giving the impression of searching) and declare some spot away from the cache as "finder's tree" (usually it's near a tree). As cachers spot the cache, they congregate around the finder's tree until all have had a chance to find the cache. Then it is retrieved and all can sign the log with a legitimate find!

It's just something fun to do -- plus you can tease those who haven't found the cache yet.

Bec

Edited by greyhounder
A finder's Tree is simply used when a few cachers go out together but don't want to spoil the fun of finding the cache for others.  When one spies the cache, he tries to avoid calling attention to it -- rather he will move off some (perhaps still giving the impression of searching) and declare some spot away from the cache as "finder's tree" (usually it's near a tree).  As cachers spot the cache, they congregate around the finder's tree until all have had a chance to find the cache.  Then it is retrieved and all can sign the log with a legitimate find!

It's just something fun to do -- plus you can tease those who haven't found the cache yet.

Bec

Thanks for the explanation, Bec!

We do something similar here. Instead of the tree, the finder moves off and does the "happy dance". It's hard to describe the happy dance, but it looks a lot like the dance the guy does in these links. :o

Interesting. I hadn't heard it either, but it sounds fun. We often just sneak off away from the cache and then yell I found it and then people gravitate to that same person when they also find it. Same thing, we just don't have a name for it. I like the tree idea. :o

A finder's Tree is simply used when a few cachers go out together but don't want to spoil the fun of finding the cache for others. When one spies the cache, he tries to avoid calling attention to it -- rather he will move off some (perhaps still giving the impression of searching) and declare some spot away from the cache as "finder's tree" (usually it's near a tree). As cachers spot the cache, they congregate around the finder's tree until all have had a chance to find the cache. Then it is retrieved and all can sign the log with a legitimate find!

That's a cute way to do it. We go a bit farther in that we have to sign the log before going over to the finder's tree. There is something satisfying about finding the cache, signing the log, rehiding it all without being noticed and then when they find it, they see your name already on the log sheet. Good times... :anicute:

--Marky

We go a bit farther in that we have to sign the log before going over to the finder's tree. There is something satisfying about finding the cache, signing the log, rehiding it all without being noticed and then when they find it, they see your name already on the log sheet. Good times... :blink:

I've only managed to pull that off twice, but it was a riot to see the looks on everyone else's faces when they saw my sig in the log. ;)

Most of the time when I try it I end up getting caught, though. ;)

A finder's Tree is simply used when a few cachers go out together but don't want to spoil the fun of finding the cache for others.  When one spies the cache, he tries to avoid calling attention to it -- rather he will move off some (perhaps still giving the impression of searching) and declare some spot away from the cache as "finder's tree" (usually it's near a tree).  As cachers spot the cache, they congregate around the finder's tree until all have had a chance to find the cache.  Then it is retrieved and all can sign the log with a legitimate find!

That's a cute way to do it. We go a bit farther in that we have to sign the log before going over to the finder's tree. There is something satisfying about finding the cache, signing the log, rehiding it all without being noticed and then when they find it, they see your name already on the log sheet. Good times... :blink:

--Marky

Man. You're hard core! ;);)