Garmin GPS V, Good or Bad

cache magnet

I used to have a GPS III+ and upgraded to the V. It's absolutely fabulous!

What I really like is how it gives me turn-by-turn directions while driving to the cache. Then I can "recalculate" to "off-road" mode when I walk the last bit.

And then when I get hungry, it will tell me where the nearest restuarants are, and how to get there.

You won't be sorry you chose the GPS V.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

bigok.gif I use a Garmin V and love it. It is really helpful for traveling, especially with the autoroute feature and it is equally great off road. It has a much better antenna than the etrex series and keeps signal better under heavy cover. I still have my original yellow etrex but harldy ever use it anymore. Try doing a search for the "Garmin V" and I think you will see that most everyone feels pretty much like I do. The worst thing I have found about the GV is there are still a few quirks with the autorouting, but for the most part it is a-OK. Hope this helps.

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

[This message was edited by KYtrex on June 26, 2002 at 11:58 PM.]

The Garmin GPSV is an excellent GPS for geocaching and many other purposes. The autorouting occasionally does some stupid things like routing you across a lake for the final step, but you will learn when to check it and when to trust it. And once in a while, it will unexpectedly shut off when the batteries are shaken an lose contact. Other than these two issues, mine has never failed me. It is good at pulling in signals under difficult conditions. It is waterproof so you don't have to worry about the weather or dropping it in water. The display is large and very easy to read. The battery life is good. I could go on and on.

Two other things you should buy:

1. Rechargeable batteries and a charger. This will save you alot of money in the long term.

2. A magnetic compass. The GPS V doesn't have a built-in compass, and even if it did you still need to have a way out of the woods that doesn't depend on batteries.

rdw

I've had an Garmin eTrex Vista for about a year and love it. THEN, I started Geocaching. Here in the Pacific Northwet we have lots of heavy tree cover in our forests. While hiking on trails it is not a big deal to loose satellite reception for a couple of minutes. You can still navigate to where you are going, and more inportantly, you can navigate your way back to your vehicle. While Geocaching, it is not acceptable to loose satellite reception. The GPS V does a great job under heavy tree cover because of the antenna type vice the patch antenna on the Vista. AND it is great for turn-by-turn directions in the vehicle to get you to the cache site. My wife was always getting us going in the wrong direction, or lost, using a map and telling me where to turn. The GPS V is a much better navigator than my wife. Also cuts down on the yelling and screaming inside the vehicle. icon_mad.gificon_confused.gif

Hello CM, Just want you to know I liked the Garmin V so much I bought 3 of them. I let others that want to go geocaching with me use two of them. Makes it more fun and competitive. You'll like yours too when you figure out all the info you can get from it. Good Luck, Ranger Rick

quote:
Originally posted by cache magnet:

Hello to all,

I just purchased a garmin gps v off of ebay and I was wondering if any of you use this type of gps for cacheing? If so what do you think? have you had problems, I've looked at garmin's website but they are a little biased. icon_rolleyes.gif

My wife recently traded her Meridian for the GPS V and likes it both for road navigation and caching. I wish it had a memory card like my eMap, but I guess you can't have everything. The only oddity I've notice with her GPS V is that the compass screen takes it's sweet time reorienting to the direction you're moving. If you got a particularly good deal on eBay, I think you probably got the perfect unit.

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

ive never used the unit so i couldnt really say.

P.S. To "Welch": I have to ask...why on earth did you post this?

I have a V. I upgraded from a Garmin III+. Excellent unit for about anything you could want to do with a GPS.

The only negative thing I can think of:

This unit has so many features that it is slightly more complex to use than a simpler unit. It takes a few more keystrokes to save a waypoint, or to do a GOTO.

If you are technically minded you will love it, if you are not technically minded and easily frustrated this unit might (initially) overwhelm you.