Disappointed

fria

Per your request, New England Noob.  Groundspeak volunteers are happy to serve the needs of the geocaching community.

bb056461-ba62-4ba2-8067-0980c7ec31a0.jpg

Not this one... my daughter saw it .... next thing I know one she planted at a country club is called Llama, llama, duck. One finder of this cache showed it to his sixth grade science class this winter and they memorized it and sing it to him daily. On the other side, I'm going to throw a little (very little) support to fria. Perhaps he is referring to the long hiking caches only. Keep in mind I am saying this without doing any research. When we began hiding in Daytona, we found a fondness for urban caches, especially urban micros. Some people said that was against the spirit of the sport. Fria could perhaps be desiring these deep forest caches and all he sees are 1000+ urban macros and micros. (OK this is really a bit of the stretch. :( ) One of those complainers I haven't seen caching for a while, and the other developed an appreciation for varieties of hides and now has over 500 finds, with nearly a fifth of those being ours and our daughter's. Fria, you can always filter out the smaller and easier caches and look for the hiking ones. Pocket queries are very useful for that. You can also "ignore" caches. I have about a dozen on our ignore list, many of them requiring aquatic transportation. Remember, the best way to see more of the kinds of caches you like is to hide that variety yourself. Cache on!

Edited by M&DofKJE

I just discovered geocaching in November (2004). I live near Akron OH. My original goal was to "clear" my first cache page by finding them all. I haven't been able to do that yet because new caches keep popping up all the time! (And I work :( ) I think that the NE Ohio area is full of active cachers and there are constantly new caches here - even all winter long they kept 'em coming. I recently hid my first cache and it was placed on hold b/c it was too near another cache. I tried to argue that point w/the Approver. I figured I lived two blocks from the two caches - I should know, right? Turns out, THEY were right! After several (very polite) emails back and forth, I moved the cache and it got approved and I received a VERY nice follow-up email from our Approver, which was not necessary - they were just being NICE! I'm not sure what "Ohio" you live in, but geocaching is very much alive and well here!

I'm not so sure about the hobby dying. However, the demise of negative posts such as the one that started this thread could not occur fast enough for me.

Groundspeak is doing an excellent job in all respects. Their service meets my needs and more. The negativity does not provide any benefit.

sounded like a sock puppet to me.....a very poor use of one at that

If it's a sock puppet, they really were planning in advance:

This is obviously a knee-jerk reaction, a very n(d)umb one.

Likewise, I'm confused. B):D

Newbies. :(

If it's a sock puppet, they really were planning in advance:

This is obviously a knee-jerk reaction, a very n(d)umb one.

Likewise, I'm confused.

didnt everybody start up an extra account at the beginning to use for such a purpose? :o

Perhaps he is referring to the long hiking caches only.

Having cached in the area (well, take Keystone's map and go about 45 more miles east) I can tell you that there are hiking involved caches in the area. More so than are near me here in Nashville.

Did anybody else notice that in the entire first post, every time the person put the URL of the site, it's wrong?

Lol! I have 59 within 100 miles and am just tickled pink at having THAT many. We have become MUCH more active in the last year.

All Geocaches

By Postal Code - From State: AK (FAIRBANKS - 99709) [New Search] Map this location

Total Records: 59 - Page: 1 of 3

Perhaps he is referring to the long hiking caches only.

Having cached in the area (well, take Keystone's map and go about 45 more miles east) I can tell you that there are hiking involved caches in the area. More so than are near me here in Nashville.

Did anybody else notice that in the entire first post, every time the person put the URL of the site, it's wrong?

As I said, I didn't do any research. I am just trying to see all possible explanations. As you know Fly, we have a particular fondness for sticking caches next to lots of people. :o (Want me to plant a cache for your next race? I'll hide it at the Iron Horse. Millions of muggles annually! ;) )

Naw, that wasn't personal. The story behind it is Fly started the Nascar bug race and needed a big cache for the start in Daytona. He got a bit more than he bargained for. The cache is .12 miles from speedway property and is located within about 30 feet where literally thousands of muggles walked by it. He about had a heart attack when he found out where it was. Also, I was admitting I hadn't done my research in providing a possible excuse for an excuseless situation... (besides, if that was the best excuse the OP had.... ouch! I'm not calling the OP lazy or unintellegent. The rest of the posters saved me from having to do that job :blink: )

While I disagree with the OP's tone and unneccesarily offensive comments, I do tend to agree with his overall point.

The cache approval rules do seem overly techinical for no good reason.

I've had to put a multi-virtual cache on another site because of the frustrating approval process here. (First no virtuals allowed. Then, when I agreed to add a physical end point, I am told that oh, wait, you can't have a requirement be that the seekers e-mail me for coordinates....despite the fact that there's an excellent series of caches in my area that requires e-mail communication to get coordinates).

I understand the frustration....if not the offensiveness....of the OP.

Man . . . this poor OP! Did he really think he no one could check his stats?

His experience has not been mine, at all. I have some minor issues in the game but not with the folks at gc.com or even in the field as approvers - they have all been fine & kind to me and everyone I cache with locally (NC), especially my approvers.

If perfection is what is sought in this or any/game sport, you just have to wait a short while, till after Armagedden, anyway. Meanwhile, play or not, make a choice - if it is good for you, continue & have fun - if not, you can stop & we wish you well.

Naw, that wasn't personal. The story behind it is Fly started the Nascar bug race and needed a big cache for the start in Daytona. He got a bit more than he bargained for. The cache is .12 miles from speedway property and is located within about 30 feet where literally thousands of muggles walked by it. He about had a heart attack when he found out where it was. Also, I was admitting I hadn't done my research in providing a possible excuse for an excuseless situation... (besides, if that was the best excuse the OP had.... ouch! I'm not calling the OP lazy or unintellegent. The rest of the posters saved me from having to do that job :lol: )

Yes. I believe it was the maps that I looked at that about gave me the heart attack.

I feel much better knowing that all of the race bugs are out of that cache and the only one bug was taken and not logged :laughing:

Wait till you come to Jacksonville, Fly. Some of them will give you a heart attack doing them. My dad always sends me in because he doesn't want to look like a complete fool. I don't know what he's afraid of. It's fun to do caches that are so stealthy, that there is nowhere to hide. I just ask people to move so I can find it. I probably would give hiders heart attacks if they knew how I find caches, but they don't get muggled after I find them, so it works.

Wait till you come to Jacksonville, Fly. Some of them will give you a heart attack doing them. My dad always sends me in because he doesn't want to look like a complete fool. I don't know what he's afraid of. It's fun to do caches that are so stealthy, that there is nowhere to hide. I just ask people to move so I can find it. I probably would give hiders heart attacks if they knew how I find caches, but they don't get muggled after I find them, so it works.

Agent K, you rock! I know of so many ways that kids can get those busy area caches that adults can't. Keep on finding them! :(

This thread needs an alarmed llama.  :laughing:

:lol:

Please explain the significance of the llama to an ignorant Swede.

:lol:One of Groundspeaks more overly serious forum moderators posted a link to it in a closed thread. I highly recommend listening to it.

As for ignorance - don't worry, I don't get it either - but it is tremendously cute! My post in this thread referencing an alarmed llama was simply a funny way to suggest the thread be closed, the way the other one was. Well, that, and is very funny. Little did I expect to recieve TWO alarmed llamas! :( And fria thinks service is slow 'round here. :lol:

This thread needs an alarmed llama.  :laughing:

:lol: Please explain the significance of the llama to an ignorant Swede.

:(One of Groundspeaks more overly serious forum moderators posted a link to it in a closed thread. I highly recommend listening to it.

Ah, I get it. Missed that topic. I couldn't get the WinAmp slogan out of my head and couldn't make the connection. Actually, I could make a connection or two, but none that made sense. Or did it... :lol:

With the thousands of people that are out there geocaching everyday, there are bound to be people who are not happy or may have found the sport not what they expected. I’m sorry that Fria has had bad experience, but in the short time I have been involved in this community, I have placed 4 caches. I had a problem getting one approved, but I worked it out with my approver.

If you don’t like how things are working in the community, then work through the system to improve them. A post that flames and entire region and its approver with no suggestion on how to make things better is of little use.

As for the sport “dying”, I believe the reports of geocaching’s death are greatly exaggerated. ;)

45 responses as I write this, and nobody comes close to supporting what the OP says.

This attests to an incredibly healthy condition of this site and this sport.

Or maybe not. Maybe it is just, if one posts something in support of Buxley's (or in support of someone's statement supporting Buxley's, like the OP's), or if you just wonder what it is cooking about Buxley's ... then the threads get locked and their participants receive threats.

Gotta agree with Jeremy that geocaching is not dying. But does it give you the right to claim that everything is perfect, and the license to rule it as you dadgum please?

or maybe the OP is just an idiot. :rolleyes: everything may not be perfect @ GC, but there was no support for the original post because it was a lame post (although good for amusement) from someone with old sour grapes. the license to rule as they dadgum please in the case of the original post was, in fact, held by cleveland metroparks. as KA said, the cache was denied due to a park policy, not a geocaching.com policy.

funny, the original post mentions buxley, yet the thread remains open.

btw,

This brings us to an even more important question: what can we do about Lake Erie? Something must be done!
*that* is funny! :)

Haha, this is awesome, I haven't been here in a while but am alerted to this great thread from a "report this post button" thing to see what the reported post was so I went to the first post to see what that was and read a couple here and there. After all of that I conclude that this great thread serves no purpose and should be closed so that's what I'm going to do. Man what a great day, get outside and enjoy the nice weather, I'm getting ready to go grill. Woooo Hoooo.