Rude, Disgusting And Downright Illegal Behavior

Talio

While I do not condone sexual activity in public parks, I don't see how men exchanging glances is fundamentally different from "coming across a couple of teens making out in the bushes...

Parks that become "pickle parks" are in trouble long before homosexual activity moves in - they're poorly maintained, poorly lit, poorly patrolled, and a site for other illegal activities (underage drinking, drug use and dealing, robberies and assaults, prostitution, graffiti, vandalism, etc) - it is this general neglect that sets the stage for homosexual activity, not the other way around. ...

Pickle parks are not about exchanging glances. They are about paring up and heading off into the bushes and engaging in sex acts. That's vastly different from coming across a car parked in the boonies and busting a couple that thought they were alone. The pickle park is a meat market on public display and that's ignoring the moral issues.

Pickle parks can be very well maintained by the day and popular just like our local one. It's popular, clean, well maintained, used by families during day. At night things change. At night you better watch out or you may be stalked for sex.

We have a rest area where for some reason every time we replace the stall wall someone drills a nice big hole in it. We do a good job in this state maintaining our rest areas. However we can't keep up with our determined hetrophobes. I'd love to see the people who did that fined for all the vandalism they have done for the sake of their fetishes.

If you would have stopped at "I do not condone sexual activity in public parks" we would be in complete agreement. That's where it begins and ends.

Can you say "homophobic"?

Gays exist. Gays sometimes hang out, no pun intended, in parks. So do you.

Scary, huh?

Its uncanny. Every time this subject pops up someone characterizes those who disapprove of this behavior as homophobes.

Yes, I hang out in parks. I do not have sex in parks, nor do I follow strangers around hoping to get lucky. I don't think normal, decent people of either sexual orientation do either.

Edited by briansnat

Whether it be homosexual or heterosexual, this kind of behavior doesn't belong in a public park.

Heres an idea, get a bunch of people together and make regular trips into that park with flashlights and video cameras. Any activity your group catches on tape, send off to the local newspaper and TV station. If you do this enough, they will find other places to go.

Can you say "homophobic"?

Gays exist. Gays sometimes hang out, no pun intended, in parks. So do you.

Scary, huh?

That's nice.

But the question really was about the pun part. Hooking up to have sex in the public park. Is that ok, or does that go a bit beyond what most people think of when they think about hanging out at the park?

The question isn't about gays so much as the public sex. However since pickle parks are a gay sub-culture thing it probably impacts them more. So what? If public sex is something we do not want to condone in society then thats how it is regardless of the few who especially enjoy that fetish.

Let's see, some stranger chases you, RUNNING, through the woods for close to 1/4 mile, and then catches you and GRABS you, and you think that was an IRRATIONAL fear?

My dear Kai, in most states that would be a legally acceptable use of deadly force, and the pervert is quite lucky he was only hit with a fist and and not maced, stabbed, or shot.

The point is that it's amazing what you can accomplish by telling people that you are not interested. If they don't listen, I would agree that's a different story, but homosexuals do not run around trying to rape full grown men, despite what homophobics think. They will simply move on to one of the many other homosexuals reportedly overrunning the park.

Bravado not withstanding, there is no jurisdiction in the US where touching (not "grabbing") someone on the arm is justification for use of deadly force, especially when you have not told them to leave you alone. It is a gross overreaction, not an affirmative defense.

Hooking up to have sex in the public park.  Is that ok, or does that go a bit beyond what most people think of when they think about hanging out at the park?

My first post was quite clear on this point, yet at least two people have called me an "apologist for these perverts". Guess they don't read very carefully (or could they be blinded by some fear that's specific to homosexuals?).

The question isn't about gays so much as the public sex. 

If that were true, the posts and comments specifically disparaging gays, and the comments that public heterosexual behavior is "different", would not be present. Public sex isn't all that this is about, and that's what offends me.

Public sex isn't all that this is about, and that's what offends me.

I disagree. The majority of posters here have said that ANY sex in public would raise the same concerns. The OP witnessed this with homosexuals and that's what happened to start the conversation.

If it had been a park full of hetereosexuals doing the same thing, or a bunch of kids vandalizing the property, or selling drugs it would have spawned the same conversation.

It seems like you are trying to make this more than it is. An offensive behavior that somebody wants to make end. Period.

In no way does this mean that ALL homosexuals act this way, no more than it means that all whites, blacks, heterosexuals, short people, etc. etc. act in a particular fashion.

And for the record - he was completely justifed in hitting the person who followed, chased and then grabbed him. Doesn't sound like deadly force, but a resonable response to a situation that was perceived as dangerous.

If it had been a park full of hetereosexuals doing the same thing, or a bunch of kids vandalizing the property, or selling drugs it would have spawned the same conversation.

I personally do not think that this statement is true at all.

I personally do not think that this statement is true at all.

Care to elaborate?

popcorn.gif

Whether it be homosexual or heterosexual, this kind of behavior doesn't belong in a public park.

Heres an idea, get a bunch of people together and make regular trips into that park with flashlights and video cameras. Any activity your group catches on tape, send off to the local newspaper and TV station. If you do this enough, they will find other places to go.

My idea would do wonders for cleaning up the place no matter what the activity.

And please don't purport to tell me how I ought to have reacted to the situation that happened to me.  You weren't there.  If running .2 miles through thick underbrush and thorns, and hiding on the ground in a thicket, isn't enough to tell a park pervert that I'm not interested, I'm not sure what is.  When he reached into the thicket and placed his hand on my left arm, my right arm reacted rather instinctively.  It was no longer a time for chit chat.

Good thing he wasn't an undercover cop who thought you were enticing him into a more private spot for some illegal behavior - you'd now be doing 5-10 for not knowing how to "use your words".

If assaulting someone for touching your arm doesn't show irrational fear, I don't know what does. Next time, try telling him you're not interested - you can still punch him out if he doesn't listen.

Edit: Typo

Let's see, some stranger chases you, RUNNING, through the woods for close to 1/4 mile, and then catches you and GRABS you, and you think that was an IRRATIONAL fear?

My dear Kai, in most states that would be a legally acceptable use of deadly force, and the pervert is quite lucky he was only hit with a fist and and not maced, stabbed, or shot.

Holy crap!

I agree with Mopar. What is this world coming to? :(

Public sex isn't all that this is about, and that's what offends me.

Don't be offended, Kai Team. Anti- public sex is the main theme here.

I get the feeling that some people are just bothered by the thought of gay sex it because they wouldn't enjoy it or don't share those feelings or attractions. I think the more you are around people who are different than you on any level, the more you realize they really aren't that different. (Race, religion, nationality orientation, etc...)

It is like a girlfriend I had in college loved Mayo & ketchup sandwiches. I thought it was disgusting , she thought it was awesome.

If I happened upon a Hetero couple, it might take me a few seconds to avert my eyes. If I discovered a male couple engaging in acts, I would immediately avert my eyes ., in part because I couldn't see myself doing or enjoying it.

We put ketchup on french fries in the US, other countries use Mayonaise or vinegar.

soooo.....ummmm....if someone was interested in finding one of these parks....for ummmmm RESEARCH purposes where would one look? :(

Moralistic viewpoints aside, such of the use of the word 'pervert', the proper response, as pertains to the geocaching world, would be to post logs warning other cachers of what they are likely to encounter. Then the cacher can decide whether they wish to hunt for that cache. (My first response would have been "Get a life".)

That being said, I have discovered eight or nine cruising sites, either from observing the behavior, or reading the cache logs.

For research purposes, try Rifle Camp Park (home to five or nine caches), Branch Brook Park (in the neighborhood of Sammie and Matt's Cherry Blossom Cache), Hackensack Sanctuary Cache, Fort Nonsense, Riker Hill Art Park (a stage of Security NJ). The only place that I've seen people engaging in sex in public was Mount Morris Park, in Harlem (a leg of Five Star New York). And that was at about 11 on a Sunday morning!

And I've only been geocaching for nine months!

As someone mentioned, these activities have been going on as long as mankind has existed. It is actually geocaching that has invaded these places, putting caches in remote parks. :D In general, these people do not bother anyone unwilling, as several have noted.

More disturbing is the moralistic tenor of OP, and Leprecaun's use of the word "pervert". But that is their problem.

Probably, in more parks, we have encountered homeless people, or evidence of their occupancy. In many ways, they are more frightening, in their demeanor, or in the way that society treats them. Let's chase them out of our parks too!

Remember, parks are only for the family-oriented geocachers of the world. Only one viewpoint of the world shall be permitted. All others must be driven into oblivion!

Get a life.

soooo.....ummmm....if someone was interested in finding one of these parks....for ummmmm RESEARCH purposes where would one look?  :D

Moralistic viewpoints aside, such of the use of the word 'pervert', the proper response, as pertains to the geocaching world, would be to post logs warning other cachers of what they are likely to encounter. Then the cacher can decide whether they wish to hunt for that cache. (My first response would have been "Get a life".)

That being said, I have discovered eight or nine cruising sites, either from observing the behavior, or reading the cache logs.

For research purposes, try Rifle Camp Park (home to five or nine caches), Branch Brook Park (in the neighborhood of Sammie and Matt's Cherry Blossom Cache), Hackensack Sanctuary Cache, Fort Nonsense, Riker Hill Art Park (a stage of Security NJ). The only place that I've seen people engaging in sex in public was Mount Morris Park, in Harlem (a leg of Five Star New York). And that was at about 11 on a Sunday morning!

And I've only been geocaching for nine months!

As someone mentioned, these activities have been going on as long as mankind has existed. It is actually geocaching that has invaded these places, putting caches in remote parks. :( In general, these people do not bother anyone unwilling, as several have noted.

More disturbing is the moralistic tenor of OP, and Leprecaun's use of the word "pervert". But that is their problem.

Probably, in more parks, we have encountered homeless people, or evidence of their occupancy. In many ways, they are more frightening, in their demeanor, or in the way that society treats them. Let's chase them out of our parks too!

Remember, parks are only for the family-oriented geocachers of the world. Only one viewpoint of the world shall be permitted. All others must be driven into oblivion!

Get a life.

pervert: a person whose behavior deviates from what is acceptable especially in sexual behavior

Sex in public (homo, hetero, alien; whatever) is sexual behavior that deviates from what is socially acceptable. I think the term pervert fits anyone who gets their jollies from having sex with strangers in full view of non-consensual parties.

Moralistic viewpoints aside, such of the use of the word 'pervert', the proper response, as pertains to the geocaching world, would be to post logs warning other cachers of what they are likely to encounter.  Then the cacher can decide whether they wish to hunt for that cache.

I agree; I certainly posted logs to the two cache pages for the caches in the park where the park pervert assaulted me. (One owner moved their cache to another park.) And when multiple reports about park perverts were sent to me in regard to my own cache, I posted a park pervert warning on my cache page.

I think that this is a responsible reaction to park perverts. If we don't mention anything in our logs or cache descriptions, people may not be on their guard against personal attacks, or might bring their children along for a cache hunt and witness park pervert activity.

Edited by The Leprechauns

I think that any behavior that prevents others from using a public park is wrong. I do not like "pickle parks" or parks that have high gang activity, and I also believe that parks taken over by homeless groups that also have high drug and alcohol consumption is wrong. If geocaching were to become so prevelant in a park that cachers where running across picnic tables, going through ball games, and generally making it hard for any one else to use the park, it would be wrong too.

And like Jeremy suggested on the first page, to win this battle, local groups have to take an action to take back the parks for everyone.

pervert

n : a person whose behavior deviates from what is acceptable especially in sexual behavior.

pervert

v : 1. To cause to turn away from what is right, proper, or good; corrupt.

2. To bring to a bad or worse condition; debase.

3. To put to a wrong or improper use; misuse.

I was going to stay so far out of this one..... **sigh**

Anyhow, what is wrong in having a 'moralistic' approach to life, and to things in general?

I don't understand this sentence following, neither in the context of the discussion nor simply from the gramatical aspect.....

In many ways, they are more frightening, in their demeanor, or in the way that society treats them.

As someone mentioned, these activities have been going on as long as mankind has existed.
What an amazing attempt to pervert the direction of the discussion. If this is true, (lets assume that it is - makes no difference anyhow) it is NOT any form of justification for its continuance. There was a time, in the history of mankind, when it was possible to say something along the lines of 'Human sacrifice? That's been going on as long as mankind has existed.' Should we all turn a blind eye to it for that reason?

Mopar has it in a nutshell (and that is NOT a perversion - it's a figure of speech).....

Sex in public (homo, hetero, alien; whatever) is sexual behavior that deviates from what is socially acceptable. I think the term pervert fits anyone who gets their jollies from having sex with strangers in full view of non-consensual parties.

Social acceptability is not, and can not be, a hard and fast, cast-in-stone rule. It is the opinion of the majority. There was a time when people used to cover the legs of the piano in some strange belief that it would corrupt the thoughts of people to see them naked. That said, I feel that a majority of persons today, coming upon a couple of men 'enjoying each other' in the local park where their children go to play at a different time of day, would feel that the park was no longer a suitable place for the kids.

Edited by bug and snake
....If that were true, the posts and comments specifically disparaging gays, and the comments that public heterosexual behavior is "different", would not be present. Public sex isn't all that this is about, and that's what offends me.

It's ok to be uncomfortable in the situation described. It doesn't make you homofreakingphobic, or abnormal. It actually is a NORMAL responce to an abnormal situation. Do you really think people should feel all warm and fuzzy over this? That's bullcrap.

The biggest thing that you are missing is that there is such a thing as a pickle park at all. There is no heterosexual equivlelent. If there is it's not something I've heard of. If there was an equivlent for straight couples, people not looking to sleep around would feel very uncomfortable there and that would be ok because it's a normal response to an abnormal sitaution.

Straights use singles bars. They hook up and they get a room. Gays could do the same thing. Maybe some do. However a large percentage don't, instead they cruise the park, hook up and they take care of business in the park. Of course thats the deal with a perversion or a fetish. It's not the sex, it's how you go about it. If the fetish demands public exposure get a room on the 9th floor and leave the stupid drapes open. It doesn't belong in the park.

My dear Kai, in most states that would be a legally acceptable use of deadly force

Now that I find scary.

What ever happened to doing it in the car? What, they don't want to mess up the upholstery? What happened to "if the van's a rocking', don't come a knockin'?"

No, I think the underlying cause here is society not accepting gays. A lot of people will pay lip service to the acceptance of gays, but still find it disgusting and unacceptable. Of course, some people are so prudish as they refuse their significant other public displays of attention.

I feel bad that Lep got assaulted, but I don't see what happened as much different that what the ladies have to deal with many times more often. The statistics for sexual assualt are absolutely staggering. While statistics can be what you make them, one study suggested that 1 in 4 ladies would be the victim of a sexual assault some time in her life. Some consider that study flawed and gave a much more conservative figure of 1 in 10. Fine, we'll take that. Just starting counting the ladies you encounter in a typical day and count; 1, 2, 3... You can figure that every time you get to 10 one of those ladies has had an encounter not unlike Lep's--only most of the time they can't muster the same force to say "no."

So, I don't consider Lep's encounter a "pickle park" issue. It could happen anywhere where there is a bit of privacy and the other person just doesn't want to accept "no" as an answer.

Yes, we've been in cruising areas a few times. Yes, I've been nervous about the guys hanging out, but not because of fear of being approached, but the inherent desire to not be discovered and reveal the hide. I was no different than any group of people hanging around.

But, I have to wonder, if society was more accepting, if gays could be open with their sexuality (not talking about the "flamers" but the more conservative folks) do you think this would be a problem? If you make anything taboo, you instantly create an underground market. If you were "King of the United States" and made churches illegal, folks would still congregate and worship in hiding.

Think about it.

(BTW, truckers use the term "pickle park" for rest stops, any rest stop, so that should tell you is not just a problem for remote parks.)

Oh, one more thing. If you are want to "walk on the wild side" without actually doing something you might regret in the morning, grab a gay friend who knows the night life, your wife, and visit some guy bars. Girls are allowed in guy bars, but guys aren't allowed in girl bars. (So sexual discrimination is alive and well in the gay underworld, go figure.) Be the least bit open minded and you will get a good life lesson.

Spread this lesson around and eventually, when enough people are truly accepting, then folks will start feeling there is no need for this activity and they can make out like the rest of us. Because, really, why should your behaviour be any different if your parnter is the same sex as you or the opposite?

Something to think about.

One last thing. In case you are now wondering about my own sexuality, in the beginning I was one neverous dude whenever Sissy had to use the ladies' room! Then I got over it. Gays are folks pretty much just like anyone else. They understand "I'm with someone."

Spread this lesson around and eventually, when enough people are truly accepting, then folks will start feeling there is no need for this activity and they can make out like the rest of us.

So you're saying people have sex in public with strangers because society is not accepting of their sexuality? I don't buy it. There are millions of gays who do not engage in this behavior and I'm sure many are even more repulsed by it than straight people are because of the negative image that it promotes.

My dear Kai, in most states that would be a legally acceptable use of deadly force

Now that I find scary.

One thing y'all are missing about this particular aspect of the debate is...only a geocacher would say that he ran from someone for .2 mile. Hey Leprechaun...you probably could've easily outrun the guy if you hadn't been watching your nav screen so close! :(:DB) I can just imagine your log entry: TNLNSL and kept running like heck! :(

Spread this lesson around and eventually, when enough people are truly accepting, then folks will start feeling there is no need for this activity and they can make out like the rest of us.

So you're saying people have sex in public with strangers because society is not accepting of their sexuality? I don't buy it. There are millions of gays who do not engage in this behavior and I'm sure many are even more repulsed by it than straight people are because of the negative image that it promotes.

So, you tell me why the need for secretive, anonymous sex, then.

Sure, there are one night stands in both worlds. That's not what I'm talking about.

You tell me why someone would want to go somewhere where only like minded would likely be instead of out in the open like your typical "meat market." In fact, tell me why most of the gay bars are looked upon as on the same level a adult bookstores, if not lower, while your typical hetero bar is much more open.

I'll tell you why. It's because the stigma that society in general places on being gay and many gays don't want that. They hide it. So, it's either completely deny it or keep it secret. Many gays don't want friends, family, or co-workers to know because the complications it can cause. So how else do you expect them to act?

Yes, I understand that many gays are repulsed by this behavior and rightly so. Many are also repulsed by the militant, radical, in-your-face behavior of some gay activists. Gay people are first and foremost people. Not everyone thinks alike. I'm just presenting a possible cause and cure for the prevalence of this behavior.

This is the Female of 2oldfarts & I would like to add my thoughts to this matter.

Women (well most at least) have always had to be aware of their surroundings while alone. I know how Lep. felt, as do a lot of other people. It is not a pleasant feeling in any sense of the word. There are no excuses the lowlife that inhabit the 'pickle parks' or 'gang parks'. I do not care if they had a bad childhood (I have heard that one...but if you stop & think...who didn't have at least one bad childhood experience?) they are still perverts & it IS illegal, so that makes them criminals!

A public park (or rest area along an interstate) anywhere in the world can be a place of terror if there is even one pervert (male or female) or one criminal (male or female) let alone a gang of them. There have been lots of threads about what to carry with you, if you are caching alone.

The suggestion of a warning on the cache page of what you saw & a call to the local police would seem in order. Then if you want to find the cache....take someone with you, or a big mean dog or better yet....a police dog with the officer in charge of said dog.

Everyone needs to search for & read some of the older threads on what has happened & what to do....some good advice can be found in the old threads of this site....

If I did not make any sense at all it is "Just my brain....a 'Gracey thing'" (you have to have watched a few reruns of Burns & Allen to know what I mean. :o

Shirley~

There is no heterosexual equivlelent. If there is it's not something I've heard of

Actually, there is. And its equally repulsive.

Well, thanks. Now I know it exists. I don't know of any places though, and I am aware of two pickle parks and an onging maintenance issue at a rest area without any effort on my part to look it up. I think pickle parks are more prevelant but i'd put a cache at both if it suited me.

Mushtang, I'm going against my word, deal with it, you've been rude to me enough already.

I contacted the local police and they said they weren't aware the problem had resurfaced. Said their efforts of a few years ago worked well, but after that, they heard no more complaints. They promised me that they would have police patrol the park and also put together a number of sting operations. They also told me that it will be ongoing because they first believed that the sting in 99 would solve the problem indefinetely. So it seems one can do something about the situation. Thanks to all of you who gave advice.

To the others that felt this needed to be turned into a thread about gay rights, I think you really need to review federal law. This activity is illegal. You can't solicit sex and you can't have sex in public places. Why? Because there are kids around, and this is not something that children need to be exposed to.

I also want to address those of you who said, "Oh this act has been going on for years, it's not going to get any worse." I'm not saying that it will happen next week or even in my lifetime. What I am saying is that there is a possibility, no matter how subtle, that if the activity is allowed to continue without any kind of legal response, the future (that's decades in advance) could prove that parks are not safe places for people to enjoy recreation. Whether you agree with this or not, I really don't care.

I'm going to apologize again, not as a "parting shot", but as a member of these forums, who is just as prevelent as the rest of you despite my post/cache count. Argueing on the internet is really stupid, and I was trying my best to stop the thread becoming a big social issue. You've all helped quite a bit, I thank you, and it seems the problem will be dealt with. I'd also like to pose that while this might not be happening in your parks, it does happen, and I'd hope that any of you would be just as concerned about it as I am. As I said before, you certainly will be when you have to explain to your 6 year old what those two men were doing.

Thanks again for all of your help,

Talio.

Edited by Talio
...You tell me why someone would want to go somewhere where only like minded would likely be instead of out in the open like your typical "meat market." In fact, tell me why most of the gay bars are looked upon as on the same level a adult bookstores, if not lower, while your typical hetero bar is much more open....

There is a Gay bar in Boise that is pretty popular, especially with the women. Yes I would avoid the bar. I'm not interested. Nor would I go to a Banger Bar, A Swingers Bar, or a bunch of other types you can come up with. In my case I'd rather buy a 6 pack and go hang out at a friends house. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

As far as the like minded . If I go to a park to geocache...I'm not stupid enough to think that only geocachers use the park.

Moving on. Anyone who would define their life and what they are about by their sexual fetishes, orientation, and desires is a moron. I'm not going to make a special exception for gays when I think any group with a particular sexual bent who wants to display it before the world like it's something special is stupid. Having said that, Anal & Animal parks are not on in the OP because they didn't happen across one. Nor did they find a "Doggie Park" Brian, please... No more links!

Heterosexual - homosexual makes no difference it is open lewdness and disorderly conduct. Contact your local LEO if you observe any activity that offends or alarms you, of course if you see this you are/will be the complainant and may have to testify about what you observed. There is a park in our area that has a minor “steamer problem” but the local PD visits the area quite often and makes any arrests known to the community.

Girls are allowed in guy bars, but guys aren't allowed in girl bars. (So sexual discrimination is alive and well in the gay underworld, go figure.)

for the record thats a load of malarky as I (as a straight not narrow male) frequently attend lesbian bar's with my girlfriends and never have any problems

There have been a number of comments eluding that pickle parks exist because of societies intolerance towards gays, or that if we homophobes would just take the time to learn and empathize with gays a little more, we would not be so offended.

I'll use the park that RK pointed out as an example, because I'm also from that area.

Pocatello ID (known as pokafello I da Ho in the gay circles) has a very large gay community, especially given that it's a relatively small town. There is 1 prominant gay bar in town. As I have numerous gay and lesbian friends, it was a favorite spot for us on friday nights. I've been there many times and I can assure you that anything with 3 legs can get a hookup there without any effort. I got hit on every time I went, even with my wife clinging to my arm.

Less than 2 miles away is Poky's pickle park. Well maintained, complete with bbq's, a playground, museum, water park and zoo. Quite a family friendly spot by day. In the evenings it becomes an open air gay sex market, before the sun goes down even.

Why is this when Charlies is just down the road...and is a sure thing? Enter the perverted voyeuristic sex angle. Something about them having sex out in the open is what draws them to our park. It isn't that they are social outcasts with no other outlet, that clearly is not an issue in poky.

It's wrong. It's perverted, and it doesn't belong in our park. Keep it at home, in private or in the last stall of the mens room at Charlies.

*edit* "ickle parks"??

Edited by BadAndy
Girls are allowed in guy bars, but guys aren't allowed in girl bars. (So sexual discrimination is alive and well in the gay underworld, go figure.)

for the record thats a load of malarky as I (as a straight not narrow male) frequently attend lesbian bar's with my girlfriends and never have any problems

Hey, just passing on personal experience.

Sure, I could have been lied to and they just didn't want to go to girl bars, but we never did step foot in one and that is what I was told as to why, because I was part of the group. Plenty of guy bars and mixed bars, no girl bars.

There have been a number of comments eluding that pickle parks exist because of societies intolerance towards gays, or that if we homophobes would just take the time to learn and empathize with gays a little more, we would not be so offended.

You miss the point.

It is offensive to perform a lewd act regardless of orientation.

It's when society stops pointing fingers at a couple of guys doing something folks wouldn't think twice if it were a mixed couple that few people will feel the need to hide.

So what if there are places where there is a "sure thing" yet they go and hide. Ever thought they don't to be known as part of that crowd? You're still thinking gay is gay and they all think alike. If that were true either you'd never know a person was gay or they all would be out of the closet. Why do you think the term "in the closet" even exists?

Yes, I'm partially blaming society for the problem. Gay rights is the social rights issue of our time. Many peoples' attitudes are little different than those about blacks in the 60's. "Pickle parks" are a symptom of this bias and prejudice.

You miss the point.

It is offensive to perform a lewd act regardless of orientation.

It's when society stops pointing fingers at a couple of guys doing something folks wouldn't think twice if it were a mixed couple that few people will feel the need to hide.

So what if there are places where there is a "sure thing" yet they go and hide. Ever thought they don't to be known as part of that crowd? You're still thinking gay is gay and they all think alike. If that were true either you'd never know a person was gay or they all would be out of the closet. Why do you think the term "in the closet" even exists?

Yes, I'm partially blaming society for the problem. Gay rights is the social rights issue of our time. Many peoples' attitudes are little different than those about blacks in the 60's. "Pickle parks" are a symptom of this bias and prejudice.

How is engaging in sex in a public park....hiding? I think thats the point I'm missing.

...Yes, I'm partially blaming society for the problem.  Gay rights is the social rights issue of our time.  Many peoples' attitudes are little different than those about blacks in the 60's.  "Pickle parks" are a symptom of this bias and prejudice.

Well now, it's time for a Hitler Reference. (Since we are dragging everthing else into the fray)

Edit: Diverting the simpler issue is a valid tactic in deflecting the discussion from something you don't want to discusse to something that really can't be solved. The simple issue here is public sex in parks and it's not gay rights, social justice and other larger issues that have no relation to geocaching in a park. This tactic can be used by SC Senators and the like in regards to their bill. It's another tool in the warchest. When people talk to their representaives in South Carolina they would do well to know the message they want to deliver (geocaching is harmless) and anticipate questions, especially derisive ones to they can give a straight answer (ignore the smokescreen) and deliver the message (geocaching is harmless).

It occured to me after I responded to CR's comments with the Hitler comment that CR used the tactic successfuly. :o I have no doubts it will be used against geocachers and against CR as they fight the bill.

Edited by Renegade Knight