Info Needed On Gpsmap 60c

Just been looking at the 60c and 60 cs. Can't really justify a CS, but I was interested to know about the sockets on the back.

Am I right in thinking that it has a serial socket and that is one of the proprietory round 4 pin Garmin connectors on the back?

Thanks a lot

Andy

I have a 60CS. The sockets on the back are as the last poster says, the usb is extremely quick for loading/unloading waypoints and maps etc, where as the serial port is ideal for connecting to a pc such as a laptop with mapping s/w in the car. I use the USB as above, and have an old lappy running MM and connected via a home made lead through the serial port which also doubles as a power port. This gives me the ability to locate parking and footpath entry points, which tom tom and my ipaq cannot. Therefore I use tom tom to get to the general location, MM to find parking and where the footpath comes to the road, then unplug the 60CS and the ipaq to go to the cache where I use the 60 to find the cache and if I have any problem I have the sheet on my ipaq to decode the clue!!!

I have found this little arranngement works fine. On another point, I unlike many others feel that the compass is well worth the extra money, as it really helps when GPS reception is not too hot like in woods. The altimeter is a bit useless though!!!!!

I will have to grin and bear the extra cost for the CS. Its the 10 hours less of battery life that makes me cough. I have no need of an altimeter, but the compass could be useful. I could always take the buttin compass that I usually have to hand somewhere about my person!

That is certainly an interesting combination that you have there!

Andy