South Carolina Legislation Meeting

We've invited our representative, Minority leader James Smith, to go geocaching. He hasn't replied yet. So we called his office. No response as of yet. And this guy is very tech-savvy. I hope he will consider trying geocaching. He would love it.

- T of TandS

QUOTE (Clan X-Man @ Apr 28 2005, 07:11 PM)

Here's an idea! Has anyone invited their rep geocaching?

I just recieved a voice mail from Rep. Funderburk in Camden and invited her to go out on Sat or Sun afternoon. Show and tell? If anyone is interested in meeting in Camden to help explain maybe two or three of us can plead our case pretty well.

I would be happy to meet you in Camden, I'm sending you an email with further info now.

Doug

I just recieved a voice mail from Rep. Funderburk in Camden and invited her to go out on Sat or Sun afternoon. Show and tell? If anyone is interested in meeting in Camden to help explain maybe two or three of us can plead our case pretty well.

X

Very good idea! ;)

Good idea Clan X-Man

Though I am to far away to come in for the weekend may I suggest two possible caches in the Camden area that IMO demonstrate just what we are trying to express as the geocacher's love of history and learning.

May 17, 1923

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...7a-24f7605a737a

Back in TIME

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f7-1f4de5a1ab18

I've sent my emails and admit to using the "Mobilize National Guard Soldier" card. Am following along and am more than willing to kick in for a professional lobyist if that is a route chosen to take.

Thanks to everyone's attention to and involvement in this matter.

Forgive me for being a little late in the game but I just sent an E-Mail to Ben Hagood (who I believe is who represents us) and a copy to Ceipsc letting them know how great of a activity geocaching is for families with special needs kids. One of the only things we can do together as a family etc. what our gradeschoolers have learned. And I ended it by inviting both of them out to geocache with us. I said sometimes its had to fully understand something unless you see it for your self. I thought that might be a good idea so they could make a informed decision. I will let you know if I get a response.

(I think it would be fun to see them ride aroud in a car with my kids they will need ear plugs! ;) )

I sent a personal letter to each and every House representative (exept Ceips) this morning. I attached the brochure that someone had suggested we pass out at the Statehouse this morning. Since I wasn't able to go in person, I passed it out via email. I also have received several positive responses. :laughing:

I sent a personal letter to each and every House representative (exept Ceips) this morning. I attached the brochure that someone had suggested we pass out at the Statehouse this morning. Since I wasn't able to go in person, I passed it out via email. I also have received several positive responses. :laughing:

Awesome CFS

I sent this letter to Ms. Mullis, in charge of tourism development for the state:

Ms. Mullis,

Although I live in Philadelphia, I have been fortunate to visit the state of South Carolina on a handful of occasions.  I’ve found each trip to be positive and relaxing.  I am particularly fond of my explorations in Charleston and an evening of dining along the waterfront.  When I visit, I usually travel by air, rent a car and stay in local hotels for 3-5 days at a time.

It has come to my attention that bill H.3777 is currently being considered by the South Carolina legislature.  H.3777 seeks to ban the activity of geocaching on state historic properties.  If this bill was passed, I would seriously reconsider future trips to S. Carolina. Geocaching is an integral part of my vacation routine and the best caches are often found on these types of historic properties (with permission from land managers).  To the extent that you advise legislators on these matters, I ask that you recommend H.3777 not be passed.

South Carolina has a deep and rich history.  Whenever one travels, geocaching is something of a self-guided tour prepared by locals so that visitors may discover a richness that goes beyond guidebooks and tour buses.  It would be a shame for South Carolina to lose geocaching and the benefit to tourism that dedicated volunteers perform in exposing the state’s richness to outsiders.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know.

X

Very good idea! <_<

Sure is! :laughing::laughing:

I sent an email to my Rep. Jay Lucas and here is the reply I received.

Hal:

I objected to this bill yesterday. I plan not to support it. You made

some very good points that I have heard from others.

Jay

Maybe we should try to get a tally of the supporters and opposers to this bill based on responses to emails so we can see where it stands with the ones we receive replies from. Does anyone have an idea of how to go about this?

This is the perfect cache to take your rep on! I did this cache on one of my trips to the Surfside Beach area. It would really showcase what our hobby is all about from a historical and educational standpoint.

And to Clan X... greta idea. Please let us know how the caching expidition goes and if possibe take some photos of this outing.

I would put some money to this if the state organization there is willing to take the lead and organize the effort.

...edited...

Please keep in mind that many people are reading this forum, including folks on both sides of this legislative issue.

At the second subcommittee meeting Geocachers in South Carolina were accused of placing retaliatory caches around the Capitol building in response to the events of the first subcommittee meeting. This accusation was made with no supporting evidence at all, and it became yet another charge that we had to defend ourselves against.

It is contrary to the spirit of Geocaching (and the guidelines) to place a cache whose purpose it is to take a side of a political issue, and incorporating into a geocache the identity of an individual who holds an opinion contrary to our own could easily be construed as using a Geocache to make a political statement. This is a bad idea, and mentioning it in these public forums will likely give us one more thing which we have to defend ourselves against.

I would hate to see some comments made in jest come back to haunt us.

[Edited]

Edited by TinSparrow

I have offered several representatives and senators the opportunity to experience a geocache near their office. I created Cruise the Campus (GCGA6T) for SC social studies teachers taking the SC Geographic Alliance summer institute in the summer of 2003. It has since been open to the geocaching public and has served to educate several classes of social studies teachers regarding navigation using GPS technology.

If you don't know, Cruise the Campus is located within a historic area (the Horseshoe, the center of the original USC campus). The cache has three routes from a common start point to a common final cache. One route focuses on historical markers, one route focuses on monuments, and one route focuses on artwork/architecture. Many of these markers, monuments, or pieces of art go unnoticed by the campus residents and visitors. This cache forces individuals to notice and learn about the culture and history of the USC campus. One stop is actually on the State House grounds at The African-American Monument. This cache would most certainly be affected by H3777.

Feel free to invite any of your representatives or senators to experience this cache. If I can make the drive from Summerville, if will. If not, there are several able-bodied cachers in the Columbia area that have found this cache and can lead a group through the course.

Swamp Thing

Edited by Swamp Thing
I have offered several representatives and senators the opportunity to experience a geocache near their office. I created Cruise the Campus (GCGA6T) for SC social studies teachers taking the SC Geographic Alliance summer institute in the summer of 2003. It has since been open to the geocaching public and has served to educate several classes of social studies teachers regarding navigation using GPS technology.

If you don't know, Cruise the Campus is located within a historic area (the Horseshoe, the center of the original USC campus). The cache has three routes from a common start point to a common final cache. One route focuses on historical markers, one route focuses on monuments, and one route focuses on artwork/architecture. Many of these markers, monuments, or pieces of art go unnoticed by the campus residents and visitors. This cache forces individuals to notice and learn about the culture and history of the USC campus. One stop is actually on the State House grounds at The African-American Monument. This cache would most certainly be affected by H3777.

Feel free to invite any of your representatives or senators to experience this cache. If I can make the drive from Summerville, if will. If not, there are several able-bodied cachers in the Columbia area that have found this cache and can lead a group through the course.

Swamp Thing

I highly suggest "Cruise The Campus" being a USC student myself, I fully enjoyed going places on campus I never would have gone to if not for this cache.

Dear Mad Cat,

Personal attacks get us nowhere fast. I suggest you recalibrate your 'manners' compass.

Also, There's a calendar for today, April 29, and nothing's scheduled for today. Pretty much the first thing coming up is a reception next week, then a day or two of concurrent resolution stuff. Just because there's a calendar for a day doesn't mean they're meeting. You have to look at the calendar's dates. The first day of any activity is May3.

- T

I would put some money to this if the state organization there is willing to take the lead and organize the effort.

Also I think I saw in a link to an article a few pages back with Ms. Cieps's home address. Too bad virtuals are so hard to get approved that might make a good one.  :laughing:

While this idea might seem funny, it needs to be stressed that this is not an concept which will be pursued. Please keep in mind that many people are reading this forum, including folks on both sides of this legislative issue.

At the second subcommittee meeting Geocachers in South Carolina were accused of placing retaliatory caches around the Capitol building in response to the events of the first subcommittee meeting. This accusation was made with no supporting evidence at all, and it became yet another charge that we had to defend ourselves against.

It is contrary to the spirit of Geocaching (and the guidelines) to place a cache whose purpose it is to take a side of a political issue, and incorporating into a geocache the physical address of an individual who holds an opinion contrary to our own could easily be construed as using a Geocache to make a political statement. This is a bad idea, and mentioning it in these public forums will likely give us one more thing which we have to defend ourselves against.

Also, if other legislators think that we are of a mindset to retaliate against other lawmakers, they may band together since we seem to be treating them without respect. I would hate to see some comments made in jest come back to haunt us.

Retaliatory caches? If the people that represent the citizens of SC really see this as a problem I think they need to get some new representatives. Coming to places around the Capitol building is seen as a problem? I guess that would only be true if you don't want the citizens to see how you conduct the public's business.

I don't see how a cache like this would have the purpose of taking a side on a political issue. It is only taking a person to where a person that tried to ban geocaching lives. Is a virtual cache that is at a home of a former president taking sides?

It would not incorporate the physical address, which has been published in the newspaper, it is based on latitude and longitude. And maybe if this person knew their house was a virtual cache and that people were coming to it she may see first hand that geocaching causes no harm.

I'm sorry but I am really missing your point about geocachers banding together to retaliate against lawmakers. I think that is the point to make. Those geocachers in SC should be banding together and watch who votes for this and retaliate by working against them at election time. The citizens have the right and the duty to redress their elected officials. That is not disrespect -- that is how are system works. Again if they have a problem with that all the more reason to get them out of office.

If you take a political stand you have to know there will be people that disagree. And that is the price you pay for being a leader and taking that stand. Can't stand the heat get out the kitchen.

But even if this would be a cache that takes a side on a political issue so what? It is a issue that is directly aimed at what we do and trying to limit that activity. It is not taking sides with one political party or another. If we don't do what we can to try to effect the outcome of this then we might as well close up shop now. We will be seen as having no voice and a group that can just be run over at will. When farmers take their tractors and circle the capitol building is that retaliatory? Maybe maybe not, I think it is a like minded group expressing their point of view. But it does send a clear message to those representatives what they will face when they go back to their home districts.

It's occurred to me that what we are facing has happened before. Technologically savvy groups of people have been singled out throughout history as scapegoats because it is convenient.

Ms Ceips' villification and disrespect shown to geocachers who in good faith attended the Subcommittee Hearings brings to mind the following phrase: 'Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Geocaching Community?'

She has done much to incite and anger us, but as reasonable folk we can choose not to rise to the bait. That is one of the best statements we can make.

-T of TandS

Edited by tands

While this idea might seem funny, it needs to be stressed that this is not an concept which will be pursued.  Please keep in mind that many people are reading this forum, including folks on both sides of this legislative issue.

At the second subcommittee meeting Geocachers in South Carolina were accused of placing retaliatory caches around the Capitol building in response to the events of the first subcommittee meeting.  This accusation was made with no supporting evidence at all, and it became yet another charge that we had to defend ourselves against.

It is contrary to the spirit of Geocaching (and the guidelines) to place a cache whose purpose it is to take a side of a political issue, and incorporating into a geocache the physical address of an individual who holds an opinion contrary to our own could easily be construed as using a Geocache to make a political statement.  This is a bad idea, and mentioning it in these public forums will likely give us one more thing which we have to defend ourselves against.

Also, if other legislators think that we are of a mindset to retaliate against other lawmakers, they may band together since we seem to be treating them without respect.  I would hate to see some comments made in jest come back to haunt us.

You can bet that Ms. Ceip's aides have already taken note of this and it will be mentioned. Of course it will be stripped of the smiley face that indicates the poster was joking and she will fail to mention the posts condemning the idea.

Edited by briansnat

So if we are all so worried that what we say will be taken out of context and used against us then maybe we should just close down the forums.

There is nothing you can do or say to stop people from lying and misrepresenting what you say. If they want to do a hatchet job -- they will.

All we need to do is take a page from the primary campaign of Howard Dean. We need to find out who in Berkeley County might be willing to run against Cieps in the next election. If potential challengers know support is available, they'll be far more likely to step forward. Once a challenger appears, we simply set up a Pay Pal account or similar internet payment mechanism for them and solicit donations from geocachers throughout the United States. In a state like South Carolina and a fairly small community like Beaufort, a few thousand dollars makes a huge difference. Dean collected millions over the internet so five or ten thousand here shouldn't be a problem.

Apparently she has a long history of introducing poorly considered legislation and cluttering the legislative calendar with resolutions where simply buying someone a plaque would have been more appropriate. The dishonestly of her presentations and willingness to represent law abiding citizens as criminals indicates she shouldn't be in public office, or as appears likely, the higher office in the US Congress or State Senate she apparently aspires to.

Only American Citizens should contribute. Foreign contributions apparently violate election laws. There are election oriented donation mechanisms that handle that problem.

I'm sure Geocahers from across the US would be happy to contribute $10 or $20 to "Archive Cieps."

It is clear she'll be back next year and every year until she gets what she wants. If she does, we'll see copycat legislation introduced in less sophisticated states across the US.

At the same time, we must remember to vote for and contribute to the campaigns of the people who stood up for us. I've invited my representative to come to the I'On community for a little Caching and to meet the neighbors.

Dear Mad Cat,

Personal attacks get us nowhere fast. I suggest you recalibrate your 'manners' compass.

Also, There's a calendar for today, April 29, and nothing's scheduled for today. Pretty much the first thing coming up is a reception next week, then a day or two of concurrent resolution stuff. Just because there's a calendar for a day doesn't mean they're meeting. You have to look at the calendar's dates. The first day of any activity is May3.

- T

I'm sorry I am not using my manners here, Its just that our Rep's down here in South Carolina do things different than back up in Michigan, Up there something like this came up there would be a investigation committee of college law pre-grads running around to get the facts on both sides, there would have to be positive and negative argument given before a bill was made. I'm no kid, I am a 38 white male, Federal Law Enforcement Officer, Army veteran, Lived in the Low Country for 14 years, I've worked for the Jasper and Beaufort Sheriffs department, I've been Geo-caching for a year now, and don't know what I did before it. I've gone to places I know I would have never seen without geocaching, take (Honey Hill Cache). I'm just upset that our reps think we are a bunch hoodlums trespassing and vandalizing cemetarys. I have never known a geo cacher or anyone that would destroy a gravesite, what would be the purpose. Thanks for this great "SPORT" :laughing:

Well Ms. XXXX and her aides need to develop a sense of humor :laughing: It was obviously a joke (and a quite funny one too I might add.) Anyone who would take something like that seriously should seek professional help for their paranoia problems, sheesh.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Funny or not, these statements will be taken out of context. Statements like that will be taken to law makers who are undecided on the issue and who are not doing research themselves. They will be presented with this information one on one, and there will never be a chance to know who was approached.

Maybe for one last big display this statement will be introduced on the floor of the house during the debate.

All the lawmakers here are in the same boat, as part of being their public life they all have their home and office addresses published, and they all probably know stories where some zealot on a high horse has used this information to make a nuisance of himself. I don't know what laws there are which provide additional protections from of penalties for such a zealot, but I'm sure that they exist. To my mind this issue is similar to making a joke about a weapon while going through airport security. It might be funny at the time, and it certainly can be argued that it's within your first amendment rights to do so, but it's bound to have unpleasant repercussions.

So, maybe such a statement gets read out of context at the debate. We're not going to have time at the point to send another round of emails and to make our side heard, or to place the statement in context. All of these individuals (who all have their addresses published) will likely react negatively to this, some will see it as a lone statement out of context, others will use it as a basis for condemning Geocaching even further.

I've removed from my earlier post the portion where I quoted the original remarks. I would absolutely be delighted if the original remarks were edited back as well. I can only state this as a polite request, and I hope that the idea is given serious consideration. The issue here is not free speech, is about not wanting to provide additional fuel to the opponent's fire.

I just sent an email to the Dept of Tourism expressing my views on this matter. The first time in my 40 years I've ever written a letter in the name of politics.

I would be interested in supporting (financially) politicians that do support our cause. I'm assuming out of state contributions are legal?

E

Please, please please, tone it down and edit these posts...If for no other reason than it is going to show up out of context and haunt all of us in SC and as Mr Sparrow said...be thrown out to all the Reps. when we will have no opportunity to respond. Just like when they added all the amendments to the bill in committee when the public comment period was over. That moment will remain in my memory for a long time...as a bad one!

Please,

Thanks

The Commissar!

I have to agree with Tin Sparrow on this, please, please show some restraint in your posts. I understand that people are venting their frustration, unfortunately throughout this process Ms. Ceips has used posts from logs out of context by showing only the portion that meets here needs. Some of the House memebers that we will need help from may be undecieded, all it will take is a comment take out of the context of the entire post to make us look like we have no self control when it comes to Geocaching and this bill.

Take that same intensity and snd an e-mail to the SC House members and the Tourism board. By the time you have finished editing it you will have made an intelligent well thought out statement.

I concur on trying to keep the rhetoric at minimum.

I did clear up some confusion on my part, though.

Even though there is a calendar for today, the only work that will get done is the third readings of uncontested and unanimous consent bills. Basically, just the rubber stamping of some bills. Ours is contested, so the Senate would have to vote 2/3 to take it this year even if it did pass. The person I spoke with said that was highly unlikely.

Edited by CoyoteRed

I also agree that we should display the same courtesy, respect, and common decency in this forum that we display when we are out geoing.

CITO and leave the place (to include the forum) as good as or better than when we arrived. :laughing:

Edited by SGM & MRS D

GH28's birthday was yesterday, y'all.

Hope you are having fun.

But now this forum should be used to announce the organizational meeting for a subcommittee of the SCGCA. Call it the Legislative Information Committee. I propose setting a date and getting some officers going on this committee. Next week would not be to soon. I volunteer to be cook and bottle washer

-T of TandS

At the second subcommittee meeting Geocachers in South Carolina were accused of placing retaliatory caches around the Capitol building in response to the events of the first subcommittee meeting.

Is this really true? I had not heard that before and find it very upsetting.

I was there and it is true. Mr. Sparrow told them that we had not done this to his knowledge...and we haven't.

And one would not get approved in such a location anyway because we police ourselves pretty darn well and have approvers that do a good job of asking the correct questions to avoid this type of problem cache.

At the second subcommittee meeting Geocachers in South Carolina were accused of placing retaliatory caches around the Capitol building in response to the events of the first subcommittee meeting.

Is this really true? I had not heard that before and find it very upsetting.

And this is why they say things like this...

True or not, it's planted a seed of worry in PD's head...and for those who aren't part of geocaching, it's simply going to be accepted as fact.

I just wrote to Rep. Nelson Hardwick who lives in Surfside Beach (just south of Myrtle Beach) SC and represents the district that I vacation in every year. I politely told him that I spend money every year in the area vacationing AND geocaching. I plan to write to the Reps. from Georgetown County and Myrtle Beach itself later today. I also refered them to the SC Geocachers Assn.

Hope this helps. If there is anything else I can do, yell.

Good Luck,

David Green

It was just brought to my attention that I was mentioned in this thread, and I wanted to clear up a couple of things that seem to be misrepresented from the photo that I posted on the Remembrance of Unknown Soldiers locationless cache.

First of all, this photo was taken by a Geocacher from Ohio (me), in a location on the outskirts of Nashville, TN.

Second, I'd like to give a better understanding of the location and photo in question. This marker is not an actual headstone, nor is it in place to mark a certain specific person or burial. The way this area of the cemetery is setup, there is a circular hill around which runs a road. From the road there are 4 concrete walkways running up to the top of the hill with the sidewalk running in a circular pattern around a marker at the top, which again is not specific to a certain person. The marker pictured is about six inches or less from the edge of the sidewalk as shown in EssPea’s picture, also in question, which is of the same marker. I was actually kneeling, not laying, beside the marker, and entirely on the sidewalk. As the marker states “Buried in this quadrant, part of the vast unknown confederate soldiers who were first buried where they fell in battle.” Further up the hill in the quadrant are where the soldiers are buried, and each soldier has their own headstone to mark the location. These headstones are, if memory serves, about twenty feet away from the marker, at the closest. This was why I chose the marker instead of a specific headstone, since I didn’t want to be disrespectful in taking the picture. I personally felt that it was within good taste to take the photo considering that I stayed on the concrete sidewalk, and it was not a specific headstone but more of a historical sign, if you will. That is subject to opinion though, and my opinion is no better or worse than another.

Third, I suppose that it can be construed as a negative comment that I labeled the picture as “The Money Shot.” In retrospect I can understand how that can be seen as poor judgement. I can’t argue that, since again we all have our own opinions. All that I can say is that it was not my intention to be disrespectful in saying that. As was mentioned by several others, that is a common phrase used in locationless caches to convey that a particular picture is the one which meets all of the requirements for logging the cache. I’ve used the same phrase on many locationless caches that I’ve logged.

In closing, I’m glad that this was brought to my attention, and that I could offer the facts for the picture in question, rather than just letting everything be based on assumption. I do wish though that if the picture was found offensive that someone would have contacted me directly. I’m not hiding by any means, and there are plenty of avenues through which I could have been contacted. At that time I would have been happy to have provided the same information that I’m giving right now, to separate fact from fiction. I’m also deleting my log on the Remembrance of Unknown Soldiers locationless cache since, through this thread I’ve realized that the location was already posted, so my log should not count as a find. I have copied both of the pictures, and the text that I had posted with my log, so if there is any further question in regards to my pictures or log, please contact me and I can provide the exact same information that I had posted on the cache page. If there are any further questions for me directly, please e-mail me at mhaserodt@hotmail.com and from there I can provide any other contact information that you may wish to have.

Sincerely,

Marc Haserodt (Mr. 0)

CR, thanks for the fascinating link and a glimpse of the system. It amazes me that lawmakers would even consider this kind of legislation

As in a certain way an outsider observer, I can't say much more than ditto. Pretty fascinating to see how things are done somewhere else.

Might be time to consider looking into the fact this forum has run its course also

I think that this thread would serve well to stay open. We are accomplishing things. At the very least new ideas are being generated and information is being exchanged. This is the best place to accomplish this on a larger scale.

X

Thanks for the link CR! This was very educational and somewhat dissapointing. I am very proud of those who stood up for us. I have been contacted by two reps who will oppose the bill. I am shocked at how many were not paying attention when this bill was being read. Does this happen with every bill? I don't have sufficient bandwith to sit and watch this go down live on the internet.

X

I am shocked at how many were not paying attention when this bill was being read. Does this happen with every bill?

The theory is that most reps will either 1) have already read it or 2) have had it explained to them (this was not meant as an insult). These individuals normally either already know how they are going to vote, or know that they want to discuss it more.

Its kind of like how you sit through the safety briefing everytime you fly. You've heard it all before, so its just noise in the background.

Edited by sbell111