Cheap Microcache Containers At Target

gambit32

I was just at Target and they've slashed prices on the coleman brass matchboxes. In Poughkeepsie NY they dropped down to 48 cents each, and you might have luck at your local stores. I myself bought all 7 they had left

Theyre pretty nice cases, with more room than the Groundspeak microcaches. Theyre not 100% waterproof though, but I still love using them. Even if you decide to not use them as microcache containers, they make for good stuff to leave in other larger caches

Some websites description page of the item

Just figured Id share

Edited by gambit32

This was the container for one of the first micros I ever found, and I thought it was the coolest little thing! BUT, I almost didn't get it open, apparently they get cantankerous as they age and are exposed to the elements, and the log was damp once I did get it out. It was archived shortly after, though I doubt the container had anything to do with it.

I was just at Target and they've slashed prices on the coleman brass matchboxes. In Poughkeepsie NY they dropped down to 48 cents each, and you might have luck at your local stores. I myself bought all 7 they had left

Theyre pretty nice cases, with more room than the Groundspeak microcaches. Theyre not 100% waterproof though, but I still love using them. Even if you decide to not use them as microcache containers, they make for good stuff to leave in other larger caches

Some websites description page of the item

Just figured Id share

I found one of these in a ammo can cache I found last weekend. At first, I thought it would make a good micro container, but the more I looked at it, the less appealing it became. Unless you include instructions, some people absolutely will not figure out how to open it. The rubber seal seemed to be insufficient to really do the job.

Wally World has hunter orange match holders.  They are a bit larger than a film canister and have a rubber seal in them.  They work great (although they stand out due to the color).

These make excellent micro containers and a little camo tape solves the color problem.

Spray paint hides them also.

I replaced all my Altoids tin micros, with match holders.

I was at our local grocery store/drug store getting an Rx filled and noticed some small nitroglyercin pill bottle holders. They are made of plastic and have an O-ring for keeping out moisture and are about 2" long by 1" in diameter. $2 each. I bought a couple and held one underwater for 5 minutes to test it out and no water got in at all. Only time will tell how they hold up to the elements. You can see this one, and several others here.

The one I bought is the white plastic one lower down. I plan on spray painting it before placing it.

Pat

I was at our local grocery store/drug store getting an Rx filled and noticed some small nitroglyercin pill bottle holders. They are made of plastic and have an O-ring for keeping out moisture and are about 2" long by 1" in diameter. $2 each. I bought a couple and held one underwater for 5 minutes to test it out and no water got in at all. Only time will tell how they hold up to the elements. You can see this one, and several others here.

The one I bought is the white plastic one lower down. I plan on spray painting it before placing it.

Pat

I've purchased a few of these. They work well. Try camo tape instead of spraypaint. The paint flakes off.

You can see this one, and several others here.

I have one around here that is very similar to the one on the top of the link. A little more expensive at about $6, but it hold paint fairly well, is very small, and looks pretty natural in its hiding spot. Log has to be rolled really tight, though. I keep two of them so when the log fills up, I just drop by, pop the old one out, new one in, and replace the full log later!

Wally World has hunter orange match holders. They are a bit larger than a film canister and have a rubber seal in them. They work great (although they stand out due to the color).

And they sell a real neat pocket knive that fits right into that orange container. That way you are not leaving a knive in a cache, just a backcountry rattle.