Poison Oak

Bear n Grin it

:blink: Got the rash? Got the itch? There is a product that will take it away. Really, it works! If you haven't heard of it, it is called: ZANFEL It is over the counter but since it is quite expensive, some pharmacies will order it for you. Normally takes a day. Many do have it in stock as well. Check your neighborhood pharmacy. It ranges in price of $35-50 per ounce. They also have a website: www.zanfel.com As I get PO just by thinking of it (already beginning to itch writing this post), I vouch for it.
:) Got the rash?  Got the itch?  There is a product that will take it away.  Really, it works!  If you haven't heard of it, it is called:  ZANFEL  It is over the counter but since it is quite expensive, some pharmacies will order it for you.  Normally takes a day.  Many do have it in stock as well.  Check your neighborhood pharmacy.  It ranges in price of $35-50 per ounce.  They also have a website:  www.zanfel.com  As I get PO just by thinking of it (already beginning to itch writing this post), I vouch for it.

Dang I could've used this about 2 weeks ago! Just now begining to heal up. Size of about a quarter but man! Yes, I did try everything which only helped slightly. The size didn't warrent a course of corticosteroids so I had to ride it out for a couple of weeks.

92134607.jpg

;) As I posted prior: for me, Technu only works IF I catch it as soon as I get back to the truck and rinse with it. After a couple of hours of contact with PO, I need to wash off with Technu and a cool shower. Otherwise, I'm sunk. Break out happens almost immediately and I'm unto ZANFEL. The only thing that works for me once I begin breaking out.

Once you get poison oak the best relief we have found is to us an electric hair dryer. Blow the hottest air you can stand and it evaorates the oil out of the rash and it stops itching for hours at a time. It feels so good as the hot air goes over the rash...it feels as if your scratching it but your not irritating it like scratching does.

Mike

Escapades

Once you get poison oak the best relief we have found is to us an electric hair dryer. Blow the hottest air you can stand and it evaorates the oil out of the rash and it stops itching for hours at a time. It feels so good as the hot air goes over the rash...it feels as if your scratching it but your not irritating it like scratching does.

Mike

Escapades

Scolding hot water does this too.

Works on mosquito bites too.

Bear N Grin It is right, Technu works pretty well, but you have to apply it not long after exposure. I've gotten poison ivy so often that I can almost sense a tingling when I've touched it within an hour or two. I buy the big bottles of Technu at pharmacies or online (Ben Meadows or Forestry Suppliers) and then always keep a small bottle in my backpack.

And this probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway. Be careful where & how you go to the bathroom in the woods. A former co-worker of mine had the displeasure of having a poison ivy rash throughout her very private areas... :lol:

Edited by Archaeologist-PA
Once you get poison oak the best relief we have found is to us an electric hair dryer.

Urisol, the oil in poison oak, bonds with the skin when it makes contact, making it pretty impossible to evaporate. The drying out might decrease the symptons though. For some reason, Zanfel is hit and miss for me. Sometimes, it seems to work great and others it doesn't. I think once you have a systemic reaction, Zanfel will only help temporarily and you will continue to break out. Best to get a prescription at that point.

--Marky

You have to use ZANFEL like a degreaser for your garage driveway. When you apply it, it will draw up the oils. If you have it really bad, it will relieve you for a couple of hours, until more of the oils break the surface and the reaction begins. At this point, you are supposed to reapply. Like a degreaser, it will continue to draw up the oils, until there is none. If I have the ability to do the process, I am over it within a day, 2 at the most. If not, when I can do the process, it relieves me and eliminates the PO a lot quicker than if I hadn't used it at all.

You have to use ZANFEL like a degreaser for your garage driveway.

I agree with this, but once the infection is systemic, your body will continue to push the oils out through the skin from the inside as it tries to rid the body of the oils (at least, that's how I understand it). In these cases, it's best to get an RX, because you could go through a couple of tubes of Zanfel before the systemic infection runs its course.

--Marky

Is the poison oak worst this year than last?  What's your sense of the situation?

In California, everything's doing well this year. Grasses, weeds, poison oak... we've had a lot of rain and ideal conditions for them. Lucky for us, deer love poison oak so even though there may be more, it's just going to mean better venison! :unsure:

venisonsteaks.jpg

Edited by Green Achers

Deer eat poison oak?! They better hurry up, there's oodles around my neck of the woods.

In the Folsom area (near Sacramento) there's a nice river and parkway, and I was out there caching about three weeks ago.. That stuff is in full bloom and everywhere. I recognize it from a mile away, so no worries, I had to warn my GF every five minutes. She asked if everything was poison oak. It damned near was.

Edited by Marcie/Eric
Is the poison oak worst this year than last?  What's your sense of the situation?

In California, everything's doing well this year. Grasses, weeds, poison oak... we've had a lot of rain and ideal conditions for them. Lucky for us, deer love poison oak so even though there may be more, it's just going to mean better venison! :rolleyes:

venisonsteaks.jpg

Those look like some dang good vittles there Bill! :laughing: Well Done! :unsure:

I hear Goats & Donkeys will eat PO also(no pun intended).

I was up hiking around Mt. Diablo this past weekend & the PO is just everywhere! :laughing: Everything that was green & glossy was all around us. We stayed on the nice wide pathways and away from anything remotely looking like PO. After the episode above(I should know better than that) No more PO for me!

I hear Goats & Donkeys will eat PO also(no pun intended).

I was up hiking around Mt. Diablo this past weekend & the PO is just everywhere!

So that's why there's no PO on Green Achers. I didn't know goats eat it! I do know that pigs won't eat it so Mt. Diablo is not going to get any help. [it has no goats, almost no deer but tons of wild pigs.] :laughing:

Edited by Green Achers

I've used Zanfel on a pretty bad case, and it was worth every penny. Many places have it in stock so just call around. It's probably best to have a tube on hand so you can catch things when they're in the "just turning red" phase.

Marky is right though - get enough of it on you and the PO oil gets into your lymph system. Once that happens it can pop out anywhere, and you need steroids to get you through it.

PO is doing exceptionally well this year, I've been seeing it everywhere. I got some on San Bruno mountain recently. It's annoying, but no big deal.

:( It also works well with steroid prescriptions (I use Betamethasone Dipropionate ointment). <- that is why I mentioned this steroid.

I forgot you had goats Bill! Hmmm, always looking for fresh goats milk to feed to my german shepherds. I buy it by the gallon when I find it...last year bought 10 gallons.

With fresh goats milk and that great plate of venison, let me know when I am invited to dinner. :rolleyes:

I read on these forums a few years ago to take a baggie with paper towels soaked with Windex, then use them to rub the affected areas...arms, legs, etc... I guess the ammonia or ? kills the oil and I haven't had the dreaded PO since!

BTW, it does seem to be a little worse this year, huh? :ph34r:

Hmmm. Being a stone's throw from you, WP, I can verify that the PO is out in double force. It's really bad along the American River SRA.

As for the Windex gig.. hmm.. I plan on trying that Zanfel stuff advertised on this thread. But I could withstand a hot shower with a bottle of Parson's unscented..