Claiming Virtuals

Hi

What's the form on claiming virtual caches ?

I did one a few days ago which I haven't yet logged, as I'm not 100% sure that I got the right answer. I emailed the owner with my answers but have heard nothing back.

I realise that most owners don't always respond to claims on virtuals but so far I've been sure about all my answers, so their lack of response hasn't stopped me claiming. In this case I really don't want to claim it and then have my entry deleted at some future date.

Grateful for any advice.

civilised

can't say i'm the font of all knowledge but i claim and email at the same time. if the owners got a problem then all they have to do is delete or send me an email back.

if you wait you could be in for a long one as some people have left, some only log on once in a while and some would only email back if they have a problem. i'd say go ahead and log it.

I emailed the owner with my answers but have heard nothing back.

I realise that most owners don't always respond to claims on virtuals ..........

It's a condition of owning a virtual that they are "maintained" i.e. that e-mails get answered. If this is not happening, by all means log it but let the reviewers know what's going on so they can chase it up. :blink:

As the owner of several virtuals, I try to respond to claims as soon as I can with an appropriate message.

But I must confess to having failed to do so once or twice recently when the claimants failed to send their email address with their claim. It only needs the appropriate box ticking on the GC.com message page. I know I can respond throught the claimants profile but that is rather a long way round when the other is so simple.

It's a condition of owning a virtual that they are "maintained" i.e. that e-mails get answered. If this is not happening, by all means log it but let the reviewers know what's going on so they can chase it up.

Thanks for the replies

I've logged about 6 or 7 virtuals in the past few days and I'm still waiting to hear back from 5 owners, including the one which prompted me to start this thread. As I said in the first post, I'm not concerned about the other 4, as I'm ( reasonably ) confident I got them right :mad: And obviously I'd prefer not to start reporting all these generous people who are setting caches for me to find :sad::blink::blink:

The one in question is rather ambiguous - which has made me uncertain :cry:

But with all your welcome advice I'll now log it.

Thanks again for all your help

civilised

The one in question is rather ambiguous - which has made me uncertain  :blink: 

I assume you mean "aiii que dolor" (GCG42B)?

We had positive confirmation of our find from the owner back in August. So, if only for your own peace of mind, if you mail your answer to me then I'll gladly confirm it.

I'd prefer not to start reporting all these generous people

I will, then :blink:

Cachers not responding to mails, especially for confirmation of virtuals or other things that need their response, really annoy me.

The one in question is "aiii que dolor"(GCG42B): owner not on since Feb 15. That cache is difficult to be certain about, and confirmation is definitely required.

The one in question is rather ambiguous - which has made me uncertain  :blink: 

I assume you mean "aiii que dolor" (GCG42B)?

We had positive confirmation of our find from the owner back in August. So, if only for your own peace of mind, if you mail your answer to me then I'll gladly confirm it.

Yes indeed - I was hoping someone might volunteer.

I shall email you my answers - hope I'm right :sad:

Thanks for your help - off to find your profile now :blink:

civilised

It doesn't help with the cache referred to above, but I'm happy to set up an autoresponder for anyone who owns virtual caches. Basically, the answer to the clue is incorporated into an email address to which cache finder sends an email. Assuming it's the correct answer, they immediately receive a friendly email back telling them that they can go ahead and log the cache. Eg see GHCA4E.

That sounds a good idea Ian but I must admit to enjoying seeing what people say in their "claim" mails so can the responder send a copy of the message and its reply to the cache owner?

I may be being a bit thick but presumably if the wrong answer is inserted in the responder address, it is not received and therefore not responded to, so how does the submitter know he was wrong except that he has not had a response?

With reference to:-

“The one in question is "aiii que dolor"(GCG42B): owner not on since Feb 15. That cache is difficult to be certain about, and confirmation is definitely required”

I sent an e-mail to the owner on Monday 28th Feb 2005 and received a reply on 2 March 2005. Unfortunately I did not have the answer complete correct, therefore did not log it.

Perhaps part of the reply I received might help to answer the problem.

“If you want the answer I can email it to you, but it will be in a few weeks. I am having some problems in reaching an internet cafe these days... so my answer can be a lot slower”

Cheers, NIBBO

That sounds a good idea Ian but I must admit to enjoying seeing what people say in their "claim" mails so can the responder send a copy of the message and its reply to the cache owner?

All correct answers are immediately replied to with a standard email, and also forwarded to the cache owner.

I may be being a bit thick but presumably if the wrong answer is inserted in the responder address, it is not received and therefore not responded to, so how does the submitter know he was wrong except that he has not had a response?

Incorrect answers end up in my inbox and I manually forward them to the cache owner. Another option would be to have a fixed email address which looked for key words or phrases in the email subject / body and replied accordingly. That would deal with the wrong answer problem, but I've not bothered to set it up because, for the two caches which use this system, nobody's ever got the wrong answer! Replying to text messages from mobile phones is also perfectly do-able. I'm happy to discuss any requirements people may have.

I just got a reply from the owner of aiii que dolor having found it on April 14th

In his mail (confirming my answers were right of course :huh: ) he said...

"Sorry for the delay in answering, but I am working on an island in Fiji and I come to mainland only once a month...."

This is a pretty popular virtual in an interesting part of town, so worth doing, and although the reply was a bit slow, the owner is making the effort.