Looking For Footwear

QDman

I got a pair of Lowa lowtop boots/shoes on closeout at Sierra Trading Post last fall. They are very comfortable and fit my feet well.

I hiked to "No Hinty on McGinty" this morning and they held on some of those steep, slippery slopes very well. Those Lowa shoe/boots were the only shoes I wore on my eight-day camping trip to Joshua Tree National Park.

For sandals, I have to highly recommend Chacos. I love my Chacos!! :blink:

I was given a pair of Nike low top hiking shoes...feel like sneakers because they are light, but have a nice tread and are comfy. I tried a pair of Timberland hiking boots and like those too but I prefer being able to 'feel' where I am walking. Softer shoe vs solid shoe. My converse (Chuck's as my son tells me) which I wore recently thinking the cache was a quick one (why I never read the logs is beyond me) and those are certainly not made for climbing over rocks or walking long distances LOL!

For about a year now my shoe of choice has been Merrell’s Pulse II Low Cross-Training Shoe. I wear these everyday, including days I go hiking. I never know when I might step off the pavement, so I like to be prepared. I do tend to go through them fairly quickly, but then again I go through most shoes pretty fast. You can check out the men’s version here.

I have hiking boots. I have sneakers.

Is there something out there that is lighter than boots, but won't leave me sliding every time I start up a 5% grade?

Some sort of hiking sneaker?

Yes there is!

I currently own the Montrail Escapegoat, Lowe Tempest lo and the Salomon Yellowstone.

I like the trail runners for lightness, traction and support. I were them every day because tennis shoes do not give me the support I need. I can not say enough good things about the Lowe Tempest. I found that a long day in the Montails on rocky and off trail hiking left my feet wanting a little more support. The Lowe Tempest has great support and superb traction. I cross streams in the Montail and Lowe with no worries. The Salomons are still in the box. It is still a little wet around her to try them out since it has mesh sides. I think I will like them in warm weather.

Find an outdoor store near you that has a wide selection of shoes to try and go spend a few hours walking around in all the different shoes. I have spent hundreds of dollars in return shipping on shoes and boots that did not fit. there are a lot of great manufactures out there and each brand fits different and most models will fit different than other model of the same brand.

Have an employee that is knowledgeable in fitting shoes to measure your feet to help get as shoe that fits the length, width and volume of you feet.

I bought a pair of Vasque Catalyst multisport shoes locally. The store had a somewhat small selection, and I was worried about not having much to choose from, but two years and six countries later, they're in great shape and still waterproof.

The last time I used them seriously was on a 25-mile hike with a full pack a few months ago. No problems at all, even when I had to step out ankle-deep into a stream to get water.

When I was in Costa Rica I climbed the highest peak in the country wearing the shoes and a full pack, and they gave me no worries.

I'm a convert to hiking shoes over boots. You'll feel the weight savings. I'm also a convert to Gore-Tex footwear. When in Costa Rica hiking in the cloud-forests, others got wet feet. Mine stayed dry and comfortable.

7326.jpg

Jamie

I have a pair of Merrell Stormfront Goretex and they are wonderful. They have this shoe in both men and women. I hiked with them in Maine and I couldn't have wished for a better shoe. If you are looking for some good priced shoes check out www.sierratradingpost.com I get all my outdoor gear from here.

Kellie

1/2 of 'jeep'ers

I have worn Danner Mountain Light 2's for years and swear by them. Made in the USA and more costly up-front, but cheaper in the long run in that mine are on their 3rd soles. They keep on getting more comfortable and are showing no signs up giving up the ghost. And if they ever do, Danner has a great boot recrafting department that extends the life of your boot investement indefinitely.

For me, there's no other boot out there, and I'm NOT a salesperson for them, in case you're wondering.

Another Danner fan here with an observation about 'light' footwear. I recently started wearing Danner hunting boots for bushwhack hiking. They have sticky, flexible soles and plenty of ankle support (8" tops). Here's the odd part: They feel lighter than low-top shoes or conventional hikers. My guess is that the extended uppers and ankle support help to distribute the weight. Anyhow, they're great for hiking on irregular terrain, and they feel light as a feather.

Full disclosure: I loved my basic training combat boots, too, so I may not be the most credible source of advice.

42212_T.jpg

I just use some cheap Nevados boots from GI Joe's, but as for SOCKS, I *love* Wigwam's heavy hiker socks. Completely itch-free, can't feel a single seam inside, never gotten a blister from them. Completely awesome. They run about $14 a pair in my size, but its worth every penny.

As is always the case in these "what hiking boots should I buy?" threads people are responding with enthusiastic endorsements of boots that they've had great experiences with. The problem is that a boot that is heaven on one person's feet, could be living hell on yours. Some manufacturer's boots are good for narrow feet, some for feet with high insteps, some for wide feet, etc...

Buying boots on another person's recomendation is foolish. The only way to get the right boot is to go to a reputable outdoors store (not Sports Authority, Dicks, Walmart or other chains) that has a trained boot fitter. A good boot fitter will ask you questions before he even measures you. Where do you usually hike? How far? What's the terrain like? What do you carry? What seasons and weather? When he does select a boot or two for you to try on ask him why he chose those. He should be able to tell you why those specific boots are right for your feet.

A second key is to get boots from a quality boot manufacturer. Some good ones are Danner, LL Bean, Rachlie, Merrell, Lowa, Scarpa, Asolo, Lowa, Vasque, Montrail and Salomon.

This all being said, what you are probably looking for would be a pair of light hikers, trail runners or "approach shoes". Trail runners are basically beefed up sneakers. Approach shoes will be a little more substantial than trail runners. Usually low top or mid-ankle and with some extra support and perhaps a Gore-Tex liner (a must if you want your feet to stay dry without leather) and light hikers will be exactly that - light weight hiking boots.

Trail Runners

T_64597_1.jpg

Approach Shoes

T_64458_1.jpg

Light Hikers

T_66473_1.jpg

Edited by briansnat

Yes, I agree with Brian - the best thing to do is go to a good SHOE or outdoor gear store and try things on. If you are thrifty, make a decision in person then look online for a better price.

Also, don't let someone talk you out of something you really want or like. Last spring, I decided that I wanted a summer hiking shoe that was extremely breathable and could handle WATER - not waterproof, but something that would dry quickly. Now, this might seem odd, but I have a thing about making water crossings (or even swimming in ponds) barefoot - I won't do it.

So, I found these, tried them on, loved them, and was told that there was NO WAY they would stand up to any kind of hiking - they were solely for "water sports." Well, I decided to try them - I kayak and I figured if I just ended up with high tech boat shoes, fine. Well, I wore them all summer, did 200+ caches on all sorts of terrain with them, kayaked in them, swam in them, climbed in them, and they are still like new. I found them to be very light, decent support for the weight, good side-to-side stability, EXCELLENT traction, cool, and fast drying. Fully adjustable. Awesome.

But that's just me - they worked for my needs. But like I said, if you find something you like, give t a try, even if the "experts" tell you you're nuts.

Good Luck!

<snip>

Buying boots on another person's recomendation is foolish.

<snip>

This all being said, what you are probably looking for would be a pair of light hikers,  trail runners or "approach shoes". .

<snip>

Is this a trick? :D

Seriously, thanks for the advice, everyone. I appreciate the time you've taken to share your knowledge.

So, I found these, tried them on, loved them, and was told that there was NO WAY they would stand up to any kind of hiking - they were solely for "water sports." Well, I decided to try them - I kayak and I figured if I just ended up with high tech boat shoes, fine. Well, I wore them all summer, did 200+ caches on all sorts of terrain with them, kayaked in them, swam in them, climbed in them, and they are still like new. I found them to be very light, decent support for the weight, good side-to-side stability, EXCELLENT traction, cool, and fast drying. Fully adjustable. Awesome.

But that's just me - they worked for my needs. But like I said, if you find something you like, give t a try, even if the "experts" tell you you're nuts.

Hmm... I think I'd go for a men's version :D (Yep, I'm just trying to cause trouble again :D )

I've got a pair of Bean's boots - Gore-Tex DayHikers if I remember correctly... I've had them for almost 5 years now, I love them! The only downside is the fact that some of the stitching is starting to come out :D

I've gone through water just shy of knee deep (about 3" below the tops of my gaiters) ... 5 minutes later, I was pretty much dry (I didn't spend ANY time more than necessary in the water!!!)

My dad still uses the boots he bought in college (~30 years ago, he says - I say multiply by 10!!) They're great boots, he's done just about everything with them that I've done with mine, his only complaint is that the soles are getting old and brittle, one of them started to crack last summer :D

As has been said many times before... If you want to get yourself a good pair of shoes, stop asking in the forums and go to a *good* store... Someone in my troop went somewhere (I don't remember where it was they said) a while ago, and they said they needed a pair of light- to mid-weight hiking boots for weekend backpacking trips... The "associate" tried to sell him a $200 pair of trail runners :D

Happy Caching

Jeff

. . . As has been said many times before... If you want to get yourself a good pair of shoes, stop asking in the forums and go to a *good* store... Someone in my troop went somewhere (I don't remember where it was they said) a while ago, and they said they needed a pair of light- to mid-weight hiking boots for weekend backpacking trips... The "associate" tried to sell him a $200 pair of trail runners :D

Happy Caching

Jeff

This is excellent advice. I have a neuroma on my right foot and have to be very careful about the shoes I wear or that thing will flare up.

My Lowa shoes, and my Lowa boots, and my Chaco sandals are just about the only footwear I put on my feet anymore because I know they won't cause me any pain, either the day I wear them, or the next day.

However, just because those brands fit my feet doesn't mean they will fit people with more normal feet. :D

Any experience with Columbia footware? I was looking at a pair of lightweight Columbia hiking shoes last weekend that I'm thinking of buying. I don't recall the model but Columbia is more of a clothing company than shoes so I'm just curious about the quality/durability.

Any experience with Columbia footware?  I was looking at a pair of lightweight Columbia hiking shoes last weekend that I'm thinking of buying.  I don't recall the model but Columbia is more of a clothing company than shoes so I'm just curious about the quality/durability.

I've never had a pair of Columbia hiking shoes, but I do have some "all-terrain" sandals from them that I really like. They're extremely comfortable and appear to be very well-made; this will be my third summer with them (usually sandals never last more than one season for me). I can walk through water with them and then immediately climb on rocks without slipping.

While the quality & durability of their sandals may have nothing to do with the quality & durability of boots they make, if I tried on some Columbia boots and liked them, I'd definitely get them, based on my experience with the sandals.

This is a newer version of the model I have (picture found at shoes.com, where they're charging $44.99 -- I bought mine a few years ago from a Target clearance rack for only $5!):

shoes_il55873.jpg

Other posters are right--what works for me may not work for you. So...what I will do is suggest makers whose s=footwear I have loved.

Vasque (sundowner)

Asolo (Fusion 90's?)

Lowa (some sneakerlike shoe)

Salomon (some trailrunner sneaker thing)

The Vasques were true hiking boots. The Asolos are cordura/nubuck blend light weight hikers with good support. The Lowas are wide & chunky and a bit stiff, but durable as anything! The Salomons I wore for over 2 yrs daily for everything before they died.

Hope it helps.

MMMMMMMMMMMM Merrells. I think I am just about done wearing out and down to the bottom my fifth pair.

I will also say this -I had one cutomer service related problem and was greatly satisfied by their decision they presented me with in relation to my one complaint.

I wont go into detail because I dont want to see a situation taken advanteage of. But I will highly recommend them to others. :anicute: