Distance Between A, B, C....

Shadow's

Well to answer your quesion what you want to do is project a waypoint with your GPSr. The main problem with this is if you want anything less then typically a 100th of a mile/kilometer then most GPSrs can ont go to the foot or meter so your be about 10meter or 50feet off. There are way you can caculate it in the field using a calculator but your need to be famiular with UTM as doing it in DD MM.MMM is VERY VERY VERY laborious and you probable end up in Kansas, which isnt bad if you want to be in Kansas bu bad if you in Virginia, LOL. Any way I digress to find distance do the following.

Point one x1,y1

Point two x2,y2

distance between is = ((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2)^0.5

I hope you remember your highschool geometery/trig. It is a pretty simple calculation.

let me know if you need help.

cheer

. . what you want to do is project a waypoint with your GPSr.  The main problem with this is if you want anything less then typically a 100th of a mile/kilometer then most GPSrs can ont go to the foot or meter so your be about 10meter or 50feet off. 

This may be true of Garmin units but my SporTrack Pro projects in feet. When you first go to the projection screen it defaults to miles, but if you enter 0.01 mile it realizes you want small distances and switches to feet.

I assume all Magellan units do this.

There is a caculator for this you might want to try.  It is free.  Here is the link:

GeoCalc

Enjoy.

MM

Is that your poduct MM? That is a really handy little utility. I'd kill for a Palm OS version though!

No, it isn't mine but I've learned to recognize a good product when I see it so I use it. There is another useful one too. I use this one too and it isn't mine either.

Forward-Inverse

Both of these do similar things but are slightly different. Both are great.

MM

When you are in the field, with just your GPSr, set up a route with the 2 waypoints. You can do this quickly if the waypoints are already in your GPSr. In the route screen, it will tell you the distance and bearing from the first to the second. Put the first waypoint in again as the third and you will get the bearing from the second to the third (first).

Put the first waypoint in again as the third and you will get the bearing from the second to the third (first).

Or, add/subtract 180 to the bearing from first to second and it will be the bearing from second to first.

Add 180 if the bearing is less than 180 and subtract 180 if the bearing is more than 180.

I'd kill for a Palm OS version though!

I have been trying to talk people into making a Palm version of GeoCalc for some time now. I hear that Palm has upgraded its free development environment recently; maybe I will try again myself.

I'd love to help, but that's wayyyy outside my area of expertise... I will be glad to test it for you though! :blink:

If you want to do this quickly on the GPSr one way of doing it this way.

1. From the map screen hit the menu button.

2. Scroll down to vert. profile and hit enter.

3. click on path check.

4. this will take you to the map screen.

5. move to the first point you want to measure from, and hit the goto button once

6. scroll to the next location, and it will show the distance from the point you selected.

7. You can keep hitting goto at several points, then when you want the total distance (for example the permiter of a lake) hit enter. If you have a topo progrm installed, it will show the verticle profile of that route.

Another thing this is handy for is creating a quick route. After your done with all the points just hit enter and chose "save to Rte". On the route page you can also see the distance between each leg...

Hitting clear on that page will reset all the points.

Wyatt W.

Well have tried the programs and they will not work for me. Dont know what I am doing wrong but I must be.

I am trying to find the distance from N 33 34.525 W101 48.974 to N 33 34.058 W 101 48.305

Thanks

Can't imagine why it didn't work for you. I copied the coords directly from your post into GeoCalc. The distance is 0.838 miles.

Well have tried the programs and they will not work for me.  Dont know what I am doing wrong but I must be.

I am trying to find the distance from N 33 34.525 W101 48.974 to N 33 34.058 W 101 48.305

Thanks

I use QuakeMap. All I did was put in the coords and measure the distance. I know you won't be able to see the detail in this pic but it will give you a good idea of what you can see with this program.

0116bffa-4e44-4e68-ac69-da8577277cfe.jpg

Scoob

Edited by Scoobie10

Ok I downloaded Foward/Inverse and then I typed in the coords for the nearest cache to the location where I want to place a cache. I then skiped the azimuth/distance and filled out the station 2 with the coords for my cache. Oh what goes in the slot for station in station 1.

I hit enter and nothing happened.

I tried fizzymagic. Now here am I to enter all the coords for one then the other? I did this and still nothing, so I do not know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,

Shadows

Well have tried the programs and they will not work for me.  Dont know what I am doing wrong but I must be.

Thanks

Can't imagine why it didn't work for you. I copied the coords directly from your post into GeoCalc. The distance is 0.838 miles.

I can imagine what his problem might be. Perhaps the coordinates were not entered properly. So, here goes:

Start GeoCalc.

Select the distance tab.

Enter Point One: N 33 34.525, W 101 48.974 Note the spaces and the comma

Enter Point Two: N 33 34.058, W 101 48.305

Select GO

Hope this helps,

MM

Entering the 2 waypoints and putting them in a route, gives .84 mile and 130 degrees true, from the first to the second.

However,.........you can make use of the Meridian's superb Projection tool to get very precise distance and bearing. I got 4,420 feet at 129.95 degrees true.

From the Position Screen, press Menu key and choose Projection.

Choose the first waypoint as the starting point, and enter the coords of the second below. You will then get .84 miles at 129.95 degrees. Change the distance field to feet by entering a distance under .10, and feet will show up. The 0.84 miles is a rounded figure and is 4,435 feet. The actual distance not rounded is within 26.4 feet plus or minus of that, so try a couple of numbers in this range so that the coords that show on the lower part of the page equal the second waypoint.

Edited by EScout

Start GeoCalc.

Select the distance tab.

Enter Point One: N 33 34.525, W 101 48.974 Note the spaces and the comma

Enter Point Two: N 33 34.058, W 101 48.305

Select GO

Well I did exactly as you posted and this will not work. Do I need to use the coord conversion first?